"The pack will include a new set of parts and a new astronaut suit for your brave heroes. Imagine walking in the boots of the astronauts who witnessed the majesty of outer space for the first time or landed on other celestial bodies as the first of their kind." What i'm talking about

Edited by Zere

For all the people who bought before April 2013: if Squad makes good on that promise then that's cool.  But I do think it's fair to say: wow, really?  2013 was 4 years ago, which means those of you who bought it before that time frame have been playing this game for five years.  During that time there have been at least two major updates since launch, and obviously all the work that went into getting to 1.0 which included quite a few major updates.  I have no idea what they'll charge for this expansion but it is it fair to say that FOUR YEARS is a completely acceptable time to commit to free development before launching a new paid content release?  Granted it will be up to you to decide if the content is worth it, but man: asking out loud really comes off as: I PAID FOR THIS YEARS AGO, DON'T YOU DARE SUGGEST I OWE YOU A DIME.  I BELIEVED IN YOU FIRST, WHATEVER YOU CREATE SHOULD BE MINE!!!  This was back when DLC was being discussed before the game launched and people were worried it would become what games like ARK and PLUNKBAT have become.  At this point, and I say THIS point, I'd be glad to support the developers again.  Given what has surfaced about how the studio has been managed and handled over the years, I'm surprised the game still has active development let alone developers.

It's stupid I feel compelled to add this bit to the end which is that I certainly do not hope that KSP becomes a DLC-fueled reflection of the modern gaming world, but the argument that paying developers for their ongoing commitment is appropriate in some contexts even if it has been damaged by people who trumpet large publishers, who are clearly taking advantage of them, as victims.  When KSP gets cosmetic DLC, loot boxes or in-game currencies I'll be a bit more skeptical, but even as mismanaged as they've been: Squad has had a pretty fair attitude towards the consumer on the actual sale of their product even if internally it appears they've been worse than other major publishers.  And whether or not I bought before April 2013, I won't be terribly offended to pay for the expansion.

Edited by Hyomoto

It's not a result of the "bought in early" thing. It's a result of the way the EULA was written.

At that time, the EULA contained a clause which gave the customer the right to every piece of content released. This included updates, official mods, and, yes, even DLC. SQUAD amended the EULA in early 2013, removing this clause.

If they didn't respect their own EULA, then it would presumably become nonbinding. And that might cost more than the DLCs would.

On 9/13/2017 at 4:25 PM, Hyomoto said:

For all the people who bought before April 2013: if Squad makes good on that promise then that's cool.  But I do think it's fair to say: wow, really?

Is this a brow-beating post? Can't tell if it's a brow-beating post...

Granted it will be up to you to decide if the content is worth it, but man: asking out loud really comes off as: I PAID FOR THIS YEARS AGO, DON'T YOU DARE SUGGEST I OWE YOU A DIME.  I BELIEVED IN YOU FIRST, WHATEVER YOU CREATE SHOULD BE MINE!!!

Wait, what? Are you mad that people are confirming with Squad whether they are still eligible to receive on a promise made four years ago? Ain't nothing wrong with asking, especially after four years.

I'd agree that anyone who is eligible and intends to receive said DLC for free asking about how much the DLC costs is kind of being a jerk though.

So how much is it going to cost?

At this point, and I say THIS point, I'd be glad to support the developers again.

Hey, good for you!

When news came out about the dlc I was all the way up on the hype train, but now I barely care about it. I don't understand why the released so far ahead of an unknown release date.i expected it to be 2 or 3 months before it was released. But it has been something like 6 months and we don't even have a release yet. 

31 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

When news came out about the dlc I was all the way up on the hype train, but now I barely care about it. I don't understand why the released so far ahead of an unknown release date.i expected it to be 2 or 3 months before it was released. But it has been something like 6 months and we don't even have a release yet. 

They announced the expansion at the beginning of development rather than close to the end, as with most projects, so we're getting a real-time lesson in how long it takes to develop software.

Kind of unavoidable given their established practice of public weekly updates about what the developers are doing. Imagine a year of, "More unspecified work this week on the secret project that we won't announce until it's almost done." Presumably there will be a hype train reboot once it's in a pre-release testing state.

Hi. Sorry to pop in here. I've done a bit of searching but wasn't able to find an answer, the thread is really large. 

I got Kerbal in April 2013. I got it on Steam a couple years later, because the patcher was broken and I was frustrated. (a little bummed I couldn't turn my KSP Store key into Steam, but whatever at this point)

Will I be able to get the DLC for free on Steam as well as the KSP store or just on the store? I really prefer Steam, having been frustrated with my terrible rural internet and tons of issues with the auto patcher from Squad failing constantly. 

Edit : I assume the auto patcher is fixed now? But I still would prefer to stick with Steam now that I've paid and switched to there. 

Edited by kosikutioner

@kosikutioner, welcome to the forums.  One of the moderators might be able to better direct you to actual sources, but I believe the following points to be true, but have no references:

1) KSP Store and Steam purchases of the game can't be exchanged back and forth.  They are separate purchases altogether.
2) If you purchased a copy of KSP in the KSP Store, you can (or at one time could) transfer said purchase to Steam, but this was irreversible.

So assuming these two points are true, you may be able to transfer your initial purchase from the KSP Store (if you remember your account log in) to Steam.  And since that early purchase qualifies for the DLC at no charge, you should be able to get the DLC on Steam when released, for that copy of your KSP.  The second copy of KSP, however, would not qualify and the DLC will need to be purchased for that one if desired.

Again, don't take my word for it, but that is my understanding of the purchase rules.  Regarding the patcher nowadays, I haven't used it, I always start with a clean install and copy my save and craft files over.

Edited by Raptor9

3 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@kosikutioner, welcome to the forums.  One of the moderators might be able to better direct you to actual sources, but I believe the following points to be true, but have no references:

1) KSP Store and Steam purchases of the game can't be exchanged back and forth.  They are separate purchases altogether.
2) If you purchased a copy of KSP in the KSP Store, you can (or at one time could) transfer said purchase to Steam, but this was irreversible.

So assuming these two points are true, you may be able to transfer your initial purchase from the KSP Store (if you remember your account log in) to Steam.  And since that early purchase qualifies for the DLC at no charge, you should be able to get the DLC on Steam when released, for that copy of your KSP.  The second copy of KSP, however, would not qualify and the DLC will need to be purchased for that one if desired.

Again, don't take my word for it, but that is my understanding of the purchase rules.  Regarding the patcher nowadays, I haven't used it, I always start with a clean install and copy my save and craft files over.

Ok. Thanks for the info. I purchased separate on Steam because I missed the window of the KSP store purchase being transferable. Bummer. 

So I imagine I'm stuck either playing the DLC free from store or buying on Steam. Not a giant deal, bit disappointing though. 

Thanks again for the reply. 

I have a question. I know that the exact price is yet to be anounced but I was wondering if anyone knew the price range, like will it be lower than 5 USD, or maybe between 5 and 10, or will it be in the range of 20-40. In my opinion it should be based on the number of parts, say what if each part was 25 cents so then you could  come up with a general price area.

11 hours ago, lexicutioner said:

I have a question. I know that the exact price is yet to be anounced but I was wondering if anyone knew the price range, like will it be lower than 5 USD, or maybe between 5 and 10, or will it be in the range of 20-40. In my opinion it should be based on the number of parts, say what if each part was 25 cents so then you could  come up with a general price area.

We have no-idea what the price might be, but I'd be willing to pay $20-25 for it. We want this game to have continued development for a while to come, and the more we spend the more development we get.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 1:53 PM, lexicutioner said:

Actually, I'm not interested in the new parts so much... but if this mission builder is all it's looking like it's going to be, I'll gladly pay whatever they're asking... the parts will just be a bonus.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, RatchetinSpace said:

We have no-idea what the price might be, but I'd be willing to pay $20-25 for it. We want this game to have continued development for a while to come, and the more we spend the more development we get.

I would prefer to see my money go to the development of KSP using more than one core processor. I'm kinda new to gaming, but was this intended to be played on a tablet in the beginning and just expanded? Considering I'm not sure if they even make single core processors anymore. How long can development actually continue? We are talking about a game that will likely run better on some average singe core PC than my 8core gaming laptop that runs most games on extreme graphics. I mean, I play GTA V on extreme graphics and KSP on normal graphics. Man it sure does push my disk hard too. That idea floating around that KSP is easy on your computer is a downright lie. I willing to bet my laptop is twice as hot when I play KSP vs any other game.

Also, in the past its obvious squad thought making a quick buck was more important than providing their customers with a working product. What successful company does this? NONE! All you need to do is take a look at what they did to the console guys. What amateur ever thought it would be a good idea to bring KSP to consoles anyways? It doesn't take a genius to see that KSP just isn't going to work on a 8 button controller. I would love to give squad my money to continue development of this game. But, I also would not like to see it wasted away on bad business decisions. Hopefully since take two has taken over, a real video game developer, we will actually see some good practices/ideas running through squad. I know people are upset with how take 2 handles DLC. But we have no choice but to get over it. 

Edited by harrisjosh2711

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Also, in the past its obvious squad thought making a quick buck was more important than providing their customers with a working product. What successful company does this? NONE! 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'd love to see yours; I'm sure you're not so bold to make these kind of claims out of thin air.

1 hour ago, Kerbart said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I'd love to see yours; I'm sure you're not so bold to make these kind of claims out of thin air.

Absolutely not! Also, I'm not hating, I'm a finance major and can understand it from a business perspective, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Go read those forums if you would like your proof. Perhaps squad would have bankrupted and was forced to sell it broken or figured they could just fix it later. I don't know what the specifics are. I'm just saying Squad, rather obviously, sold a broken game to console users. This is really of topic here though. 

To get a bit on topic, my aim is, squad needed to cut its losses with the console version back in 2016. Instead they started actively rebuilding it from scratch. Something I'm afraid will never work out and become a money pit; or they will just cut their losses later on. Point is, most the money going into to development is to fix a broken product that was sold, in my opinion, knowingly to console user. This game isn't getting further developed for pc. They are trying to fix KSP on consoles. Which I do condone them for, as they aren't under any obligation to do so. I just think that was a bad decision from the beginning and that is where development money is going- Rebuilding an entire new game for the console version????????????????!?!?!?!?!?!?

But, I should acknowledge take 2 acquiring this game means that they have plans for it. This game is already past its point of maturity, which makes acquiring its rights rather pointless unless you are after the license. Perhaps the pc will see a lot more development. Perhaps we will see a kerbal2. We may even get Kerbal Kart and kerbal tennis soon. 

Don't get me wrong I love KSP and squad for making it- call it constructive criticism:wink:

Edited by harrisjosh2711

6 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I would prefer to see my money go to the development of KSP using more than one core processor. I'm kinda new to gaming, but was this intended to be played on a tablet in the beginning and just expanded? Considering I'm not sure if they even make single core processors anymore. How long can development actually continue? We are talking about a game that will likely run better on some average singe core PC than my 8core gaming laptop that runs most games on extreme graphics. I mean, I play GTA V on extreme graphics and KSP on normal graphics. Man it sure does push my disk hard too. That idea floating around that KSP is easy on your computer is a downright lie. I willing to bet my laptop is twice as hot when I play KSP vs any other game.

Also, in the past its obvious squad thought making a quick buck was more important than providing their customers with a working product. What successful company does this? NONE! All you need to do is take a look at what they did to the console guys. What amateur ever thought it would be a good idea to bring KSP to consoles anyways? It doesn't take a genius to see that KSP just isn't going to work on a 8 button controller. I would love to give squad my money to continue development of this game. But, I also would not like to see it wasted away on bad business decisions. Hopefully since take two has taken over, a real video game developer, we will actually see some good practices/ideas running through squad. I know people are upset with how take 2 handles DLC. But we have no choice but to get over it. 

Squad was founded before tablets were even a thing, KSP was never a tablet game.

KSP isn't your typical game, in contrast to most games KSP is very CPU intensive, which is probably why GTA is running fine on your PC but not KSP. That said, I have no idea where you heard KSP is easy on computers, anyone who's played KSP will know that the game requires computer resources. 

I also don't know where you got this idea squad was trying to make a quick buck...they've made one game, and are working on their first expansion, when did they try to rip us off? Sure, the console thing has been a bit of a nightmare, but a company needs to make money or there is no reason to continue development, and I don't think the problems on console are a result of cheap rip offs, rather the console version is a relatively small subset of the community in comparison to the computer version, and squad is a small company without many resources. They simply can't afford to allocate a lot of time to what is ultimately a small portion of their revenue, you've seen how long their updates take to release (The updates have taken between 6 and 12 months).

4 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Squad, rather obviously, sold a broken game to console users...

...squad needed to cut its losses with the console version back in 2016. Instead they started actively rebuilding it from scratch.

So they have spent the better part of 2 years dumping resources into fixing the console release. How again is this "making a quick buck"?

4 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Absolutely not! Also, I'm not hating, I'm a finance major and can understand it from a business perspective, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Go read those forums if you would like your proof. Perhaps squad would have bankrupted and was forced to sell it broken or figured they could just fix it later. I don't know what the specifics are. I'm just saying Squad, rather obviously, sold a broken game to console users. This is really of topic here though. 

To get a bit on topic, my aim is, squad needed to cut its losses with the console version back in 2016. Instead they started actively rebuilding it from scratch. Something I'm afraid will never work out and become a money pit; or they will just cut their losses later on. Point is, most the money going into to development is to fix a broken product that was sold, in my opinion, knowingly to console user. This game isn't getting further developed for pc. They are trying to fix KSP on consoles. Which I do condone them for, as they aren't under any obligation to do so. I just think that was a bad decision from the beginning and that is where development money is going- Rebuilding an entire new game for the console version????????????????!?!?!?!?!?!?

But, I should acknowledge take 2 acquiring this game means that they have plans for it. This game is already past its point of maturity, which makes acquiring its rights rather pointless unless you are after the license. Perhaps the pc will see a lot more development. Perhaps we will see a kerbal2. We may even get Kerbal Kart and kerbal tennis soon. 

Don't get me wrong I love KSP and squad for making it- call it constructive criticism:wink:

Yes, they outsourced the console development to another company, who ended up dragging their feet. Things happened, the game suffered, and they cut ties and went to someone a little more competent. I'd hardly call that "starting from scratch" - I'd say it's taking the first bad decision on the chin, keeping their integrity and doing it right the second time. I'd hardly call investing money with Blitworks a "money pit". They are creating the product that was promised to the console users years ago.

What would you have Squad do? Refund every user who bought the console versions? Admit to their consumer base "Sorry, we screwed up. You're not worth our time" What's cheaper? What's more morally bankrupt? 

Saying that, KSP is hindered by it's game engine. Physics calculations can't run on more than one core. That's a Unity issue shared by a multitude of other games written in the same way. Do you think rewriting the game in Crytek or Havok; scrapping five years of development; reintegrate work done by people who have long since moved on and can't be consulted - just to improve performance for the fringe cases of people running it on a laptop - is really a sound business decision? 

Squad's running on fumes. They have several job openings, lost over half of their developers over the last few years, and just got freaking hit by a massive earthquake. The only sensible thing to do is release paid expansions to keep the lights on. A quick buck? How on earth do you expect them to make money otherwise? They're a business, providing a product to make money, pay their developers, and survive.

For a game that's as unique and charming as they come, and has yet to reach it's full potential; a few bucks for an expansion to support further development is nothing. Get off your high horse.