10 minutes ago, Starslinger999 said:

I think it just released

*edit* for some reason i have to pay on steam for it even though i have had the game since .23.5 had just released. I feel scammed

0.23.5 was way after April 2013 (Edit: It was in fact an entire year later, in April 2014). I bought in June of 2013 with 0.20 and I still have to pay.

Edited by magico13

I apparently received my purchase confirmation email in June 2013... sigh.. This is annoying because at least for now there are parts available but not to me, and worse, that others upload crafts that I cannot have compatibility with unless/until either a compatibility mod is created (I.E. auto-replacing parts with non-DLC near-copies that don't have licensing issue) or I get the DLC. Furthermore, if and when I get the DLC, I won't be able to share DLC craft with anyone who doesn't have those parts, again, unless a compatibility mod is created.

RIP all semblance of craft file compatibility... Folding wheels? Doesn't matter. Even if I get them I can't share them with anyone who doesn't have the pack. It's bad enough trying to deal with compatibility for modded craft, but if the solution is not "Download this mod" but "Buy this DLC," I can't think of any way for this not to essentially bifurcate the community in a way that makes the new parts unbelievably exclusionary and therefore not worth using for the sake of compatibility. Either the community will become increasingly divided, or the non-DLCers will be essentially cut out of the community because everything will have DLC, or the DLCers will be cut out and won't bother posting DLC because they don't want to post craft people can't use.

At least unless these issues are a lot less problematic than I think.

Edited by Pds314

11 hours ago, Pds314 said:

RIP all semblance of craft file compatibility... Folding wheels? Doesn't matter. Even if I get them I can't share them with anyone who doesn't have the pack. It's bad enough trying to deal with compatibility for modded craft, but if the solution is not "Download this mod" but "Buy this DLC," I can't think of any way for this not to essentially bifurcate the community in a way that makes the new parts unbelievably exclusionary and therefore not worth using for the sake of compatibility. Either the community will become increasingly divided, or the non-DLCers will be essentially cut out of the community because everything will have DLC, or the DLCers will be cut out and won't bother posting DLC because they don't want to post craft people can't use.

This is my biggest issue regarding part DLCs.  Nomatter how you do it, itll always end up with someone unable to either share their craft or be able to download it.  Although i dont have DLC yet (gonna wait for sale assuming bugs get fixed soon ofc), anything i make with DLC parts stays for me alone, not gonna bother uploading DLC only craft since im gonna always end up alienating someone who may not have DLC.  I dont play as much KSP as i used to, and i dont share everything i make either, but its really nice to have that ability and not be asked to remove DLC parts from my vessels.

Other than the cost associated with the DLC, how is that different from a craft using modded parts for someone who either doesn't or cannot install the required mod(s)?  I think you are always going to have people in that situation.

I do, however, think that the parts like the engine plates and such that aren't really specific to Making History should have been part of the 1.4 update along with the new structural panels.  I could have swore someone said that they were going to be at one point.

37 minutes ago, Skystorm said:

I do, however, think that the parts like the engine plates and such that aren't really specific to Making History should have been part of the 1.4 update along with the new structural panels.  I could have swore someone said that they were going to be at one point.

They obviously wanted to add as much incentives as possible to buy the DLC, but i agree that adding structural parts (panels, tubes, engine plates, ect) as DLC only isnt really that great a move.  They have absolutely nothing to do with the DLC itself (how is a hollow tube historical), and whats worse, is that means that similar parts are automatically never gonna be added to stock KSP since the devs have no reason to add duplicates of something.  Not that everyone agrees, but what ive found the stock game to lack the most of all, is proper structural parts.  We already have plenty of fuel tanks, engines, command pods (albeit the latter doesnt have any good ones, just bloody circular trash), but what we really need is more structural panels, specifically ones that are very very big (its an absolute pain to make anything large scale in the stock game due to part count with large craft or buildings).  Who knows, maybee one day well get procedural panels and wings, but for now we are stuck with wings as the largest single component if you want something flat to build with.

49 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

what we really need is more structural panels, specifically ones that are very very big

The two triangle types add alot of possibilities, but these parts aren't very very big.  The largest square from MH is only slightly larger than the classic M-2x2 panel:

zDk2hkq.png