I am amazed so many people don't understand basic economics.

You paid the equivalent of a decent dinner for a game that has been continuously upgraded and updated for years. SQUAD has to be one of the most responsible gaming groups I have ever encountered. I am, quite frankly, very very thankful they have continued to tweak and enhance the game for as long as they have, for as little compensation as they have received for it.

I'm certain they had no idea it would balloon to the size it has when they developed it in the first place. They have, to my estimation, responded with integrity and professionalism to every issue they have encountered, and every mistake they have made.

I genuinely hope that SQUAD succeeds long term, that they charge a good and fair price for new expansions (for which I will most certainly pay) and that they have a long and healthy life as an organization. If they had a Patreon, I would donate to it a monthly amount because I receive so much benefit from KSP.

Life ain't free guys. There are many gaming groups that sell sub standard material for too high a price. SQUAD is not one of those guys and should be getting a lot of support from us, with our dollars and sense. Some of us understand  that and have put blood, sweat and tears into mods and overhauls that have shown SQUAD and the world what the game is capable of. This has had an enormous effect on the game, and is probably one of the largest factors in its success.. which SQUAD is very aware of.

So please give back guys. Saying "I paid for it" is silly. How much did you pay again? As much as it costs to refill a motorcycle's gas tank once? Im not impressed. Do something more! You want multiplayer? Well, that's *hard* to do well ( look at all the incredibly bad multiplayer stuff out there), if you didn't know that, and SQUAD isn't a big org So, if you really want it, then offer to work for them, send them donations, do work on multiplayer mods.. whatever it takes. Because SQUAD doesn't have deep pockets. They have to keep the lights on first, and that means they are bootstrapping everything they do.

And that takes time, effort and persistence. Which is something its user base should possess as well, considering the kind of game this is ;-)

Any kind of moral obligation to give money to SQUAD (whether you expect a product in return or not) is faulty. There is no moral obligation, at least no universal one. If you feel that obligation, good on you.

However, there is an economic obligation for SQUAD to charge money. SQUAD cannot not charge money. They will die as a company if they don't. You, as a consumer, should evaluate whether to buy the product based on whatever it is you evaluate products. Perhaps a moral factor is included in this, perhaps not.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:06 AM, Dr.LoveJoy said:

They have, to my estimation, responded with integrity and professionalism to every issue they have encountered, and every mistake they have made.

I agree on the PC side (and I'll probably buy the expansion). However, on consoles they continue to sell a broken product, and customers have reported difficulty getting refunds. (Yes, I know that's technically the decision of Microsoft or Sony or whatever company runs your game store. But SQUAD could pick up the phone and tell those vendors, "Listen, we have a PR disaster here, and we'd like to work with you to make special arrangements to help the people who feel like we ripped them off.")

I don't want to derail this into a consoles debate, but this caveat should be included when praising SQUAD's integrity and professionalism.

EDIT: Apparently this situation has changed. Kudos to SQUAD for doing the right thing.

Edited by HebaruSan

54 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I agree on the PC side (and I'll probably buy the expansion). However, on consoles they continue to sell a broken product, and customers have reported difficulty getting refunds. (Yes, I know that's technically the decision of Microsoft or Sony or whatever company runs your game store. But SQUAD could pick up the phone and tell those vendors, "Listen, we have a PR disaster here, and we'd like to work with you to make special arrangements to help the people who feel like we ripped them off.")

I don't want to derail this into a consoles debate, but this caveat should be included when praising SQUAD's integrity and professionalism.

Maybe you should check the console update thread before complaining about that here.  Squad itself isn't the company responsible for the console port, and they've already announced that they have changed to a different company that is working on a new port.  And, look at all the other games that have had disastrous console releases, I don't think Microsoft or Sony cares enough about these little podunk developers to make "special arrangements to help the people who feel like we ripped them off."

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 5/16/2017 at 2:02 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

Maybe you should check the console update thread before complaining about that here.

I have. I'm well aware of the details of the situation.

Squad itself isn't the company responsible for the console port

Not in the sense of having done the development themselves, but unfortunately that's not what "responsible" means. They're responsible in the sense that they 1) hired the company that did the port, 2) did QA on the port, 3) receive money paid by purchasers of the port, and 4) have the option to have the port pulled from stores.

and they've already announced that they have changed to a different company that is working on a new port.

Yes, I know. Meanwhile the previous port is still being sold to new customers, who will not be able to receive refunds once they discover it's broken.

EDIT: Crossed out for accuracy. Kudos again to SQUAD for taking this step.

Edited by HebaruSan

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

There are several threads about the console port. Please take that discussion to one of those. 

Yours

PC master Race :D

Only just found out about a new expansion...TAKE MY MONEY. After thousands of hours in this game i have ZERO problems about buying for some more focused content, so you can count on my support when the time comes! 

Ok, so I have read most of the thread, and agree with some points and not others, so here is my tuppence.

Firstly I will have to pay for the Expansion, I don't care, Take My Money Now please, I would pre-order this if I could.

I paid about £19, on Steam, and have about 460 hours so far, meaning I have a £/hr cost of £0.04130435. At basically 5p per hour, and this is the best money I have spent in a long time, and I can't think of anything else to compare it with. Not to mention that I share my Steam Library with my Kids. Given all of that, I would happily have paid £1 per hour of game time, and still think I was cheating @SQUAD. Hind sight is a wonderful thing.

I would pay for the expansion even if I bought the game before the cut off. I have also been thinking of buying another copy as my Son likes the game a lot (Explosions!?!), and this game is so educational (but the learning curve!!!) that even whilst he is laughing at his last failure he is learning. Also this is as close as I have got of fulfilling on of my dreams as I ever will, so to be able to support this effort is on my to do list, even if it was....  a.....  Subscription based game, I would.

To be frank how has this argument lasted for 35 pages????? why are people arguing about paying instead of discussing the features of the expansion, and yes you can do most of it with Mods, but if the Modders get bored, or whatever, then that Mod will likely disappear, with Squad adding it to the game it will never ever ever disappear, but likely be improved upon.

So that is my little rant done. (Don't burn me I'm new here. :D)

16 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Could you translate that to real money, please? Those of us on the good side of the pond don't understand that gobbledygook. :)

Lol! I'm in gobbledegook land and I'm guessing it's about 8 cents an hour....roughly 

5 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

I assume by that you mean the funny green paper stuff:sticktongue:? at today Exchange rate of £1-->$1.30 about $24.73 giving an $/Hr rate of $0.07.

4 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

Lol! I'm in gobbledegook land and I'm guessing it's about 8 cents an hour....roughly 

Now ya seeThat I can understand. Thank you, gentlemen. :)

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

7 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Could you translate that to real money, please? Those of us on the good side of the pond don't understand that gobbledygook. :)

As for the "good" side of the pond....I think we're all in the same boat considering the state of the world.

Together as 1 I think we should all be :)

10 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

As for the "good" side of the pond....I think we're all in the same boat considering the state of the world.

Together as 1 I think we should all be :)

Agreed. But any city, county, territory, state, nation, country, or empire that does not have Chicago-style pizza is considered inferior, and therefore looked down upon by more civilized and well-fed peoples. Apologies. :wink:

On 17/03/2017 at 2:34 PM, Badie said:

Yes we will keep our promise 

Will we finally get the KerbalEDU expansion and tools too? Making History is nice and all, but hardly the first expansion, DLC or whatever you would call it.

Edited by Camacha

10 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Agreed. But any city, county, territory, state, nation, country, or empire that does not have Chicago-style pizza is considered inferior, and therefore looked down upon by more civilized and well-fed peoples. Apologies. :wink:

I would say the same about haggis. :wink: 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Chicago-style "pizza" is basically quiche with cheese and red sauce. :) 

Brooklyn-style or bust!