Fram Rate drop on a powerful PC..

I hope I'm not sounding rude or anything (I am stressed and tired) Please forgive me if I came off a bit off key.

I been getting very annoyed with this now for a few weeks and just about ready to throw my PC out a 2 story window here, Here the thing MY PC runs with ADM 8core 3.3mrz PCU 16 GB of RAM and a Gforse Video card and not one of them cheap ones I forget the stats I'll post my full spacts ones I get home form work. Kerbal will drop in fraim rates fast for no reason don't matter how high or low the game settings are and the worse part is it lags horrably went I make a video I tryed everything form lowing my spacts on my PC to boosting the Prom and tweaking it to run I don't have to do this it shod run nicely at default settings. I'm annoyed and ready to give up.

My PC can run 4 games no problem and it works fine with a game that uses far more power them KPS  ever code and no lag so whats up?

Any advise would be very helpful and tanks for taking the time to help!

Reason :)

PC Stats:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631) 

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor       (8 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
 Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16300MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Edited by Reason
Added Stats

8 minutes ago, Reason said:

Normally anything under 200 parts wont lag unless I'm recording a video then the FR drops to almost nothing and that's on a 50 part ship.

Well video eats framerate not a ksp problem

EDIT 

You have a eight core cpu but ksp is not multithreadad which means it cannot use more than 2 cores

Edited by rkarmark

I got exactly the same card as you. I maintain playable FPS all the way up to 350-400 parts.
Ram is plenty, that one is obvious.
But in all honesty, your cpu sucks because its a octo core.. Don't get me wrong, I mean that relatively opposed to other cpus.

Physics calculations in KSP's sandbox environment over encumber gameplay performance when part count is higher.
KSP may support multi processing, but its one core doing one aspect of calculations like physics calculations.

You'd have much better framerate by installing a AMD processor with a higher core clock frequency (like 4-5ghz or more) but with less cores.
Even better would be a Intel. And no I'm not intel biased, I had and still have a AMD computer. But intel cpus are just better on most areas, especially gaming.

Edited by Razorforce7

8 Core CPUs are not great for gaming. Few games are optimized for more then 4 cores, KSP usually won't use more then 2. You'd be better off with a 4 core with higher clock speeds.

Gforse Video card and not one of them cheap ones

A GTX750Ti is one of the cheap ones, Even a 1050Ti is only about $140 US. This does make me wonder what software you are using to record. Your GPU is compatible with NVidia Shadowplay, which is the most performance friendly recording software available, and it is free.

I payed $250 for that card were I live the cost is higher double almost getting PC parts are costly bran new unless you know who to talk to I unfortunately haven't that option so I ether use what I got or no KPS. I do have a 2nd video card how ever I'm at work there for can not test it untell I get home, with that said I'll try running KPS on a single core that's easy to do. Shadow play I think is in installed but I never used it or set it up for video recording, I use Loilo or Bandicam for recording and used them for years with Trainz Sim with out problems. I agree with everyone I may have limits but I'll do what I can with what I have to work with.

1 hour ago, Reason said:

My PC can run 4 games no problem and it works fine with a game that uses far more power them KPS  ever code and no lag so whats up?

There may be many factors contributing to your low frame rate, but regarding the above statement: you do not own ANY game that does as much physics-based calculation as KSP. Video cards, cpus and RAM are all excellent at dealing with tons and tons of textures and 3D shapes nice and quickly, but its the physics calcs that getcha.

Its arguable how much difference a new video card would make if your CPU is struggling under the physics load. Its not that 8 cores *makes* it slow, but more that you are not getting enough cycles out of your 4 year old processor.

200 parts is about where you'd expect it to slow down.

Just now, Reason said:

I'll try running KPS on a single core that's easy to do.

Don't, it is not that you should be running KSP in Single core, but KSP will only use 1-2 cores most of the time. If it could utilize all 8 cores that would vastly improve performance.

CPU heavy games like KSP normally will perform better with higher per-core clock speed of a 4 core CPU over the higher core count of an 8 Core CPU.

Just now, p1t1o said:

Its arguable how much difference a new video card would make if your CPU is struggling under the physics load.

True. When I built my current PC the last part that arrived was my GPU, so I threw in my old GTX550Ti until the GTX780Ti arrived and I still noticed much better performance in KSP going from a 1st gen i7-960 CPU to a 4th gen i7-4770k while still using the same GPU. And that was before I overclocked it.

So the main question is what do I do?

Not to be rude I know what the problem is now so How to I get the most out of what I got to work with is what I'm asking.

The 2nd Video card a own is a Zotac GTS450 1GB 128BIT DDR5 its curtly not being used.

Edited by Reason

I can't suggest anything intelligent really, but I can say this as a contrast:

I am playing on a Samsung RV520 laptop, nVidia GT520m, i5 (dunno about generation).

Since the 1.2 I have quite 'stable' fps with some 300 parts. 

I still think you can do some settings tweaking.

Another thing to keep in mind:

My buddy who plays Sins of A Solar Empire told me recently that the game would lag hard in late game. Turned out that lagging was a memory leak due to the sound (!). He shut sound off and now it is enjoyable. So check mainboard/soundcard drivers too, as redundant as that may sound.

31 minutes ago, Reason said:

Not to be rude I know what the problem is now so How to I get the most out of what I got to work with is what I'm asking.

The 2nd Video card a own is a Zotac GTS450 1GB 128BIT DDR5 its curtly not being used.

The main issue is the clock speed on your CPU. If you are not able to overclock your CPU there is not much that can be done. I would recommend switching to Shadowplay for recording as it works with a H.264 encoder chip built into the video card and is less taxing on the CPU then Loilo or Bandicam. That should provide better performance while recording. ShadowPlay (also know as NVidia Share with newer versions) is included with the NVidia GeForce Experience software. http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

Also, That Zotac card is worse then the 750Ti and does not support Shadowplay.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:11 AM, Reason said:

With an older AMD chip like you have, there's really nothing that you can do. The Bulldozer core that AMD used until this year was a *very* bad design (almost killed the company it was that bad), and it's worst at exactly what KSP does the most. My FX8150 (also 8core) with 16Gb ram starts to drop physics frames at about 100 parts. 

You'll get better performance for KSP out of a cheap intel I5, (maybe even I3) to replace it. 

That, or save up some money, and get a Ryzen based system (either 7 or 5), these are the new AMD chips, only releasing this year, and are *far* better than the old at what KSP needs. 

Edited by Lelitu

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:33 PM, Reason said:

Hmm I never tryed to overclock my CPU and I do have SP installed but it didn't seem to be doing anything, needs more testing.

If you want to OC there are several boards where you can get help (I can give you links if desired).  Given the age of your processor, be sure your system is very clean, and there is always the risk of killing the processor due to the extra heat output...given that most of the time an OC isn't going to get you a huge performance boost, it's probably not worth the risk for the negligible FPS increase you would get.  Considering that if you are using stock cooling you'll probably have to upgrade it to get a decent OC you're probably better off saving for a new mother board and processor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.