[1.12.x] Danger Alerts Continued

linuxgurugamer

5 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Idle thought... sounds like this is a b*tching betty / barking bob / nagging nora equivalent for KSP

You got a nickname the pilots / Kerbalnauts know it as? Something like:

Karp'in Kerbal

(Using a random Kerbal name generator, these seemed to work)
Heckling Henberry
Fret'in Fredbert
Fussin Fersy
Griping / Groanin Gregmore (Sorry Kuzzter!)
Nagging Newsby

:D:D :D:D :D:D 

Ok,now provide sounds to go along with them

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok,now provide sounds to go along with them

Not sure if you're joking, (I was) but I WILL do this tonight once I'm home :) 

What do you need? Just two sounds per Kerbal? Basically an aircraft "Pull Up!" / "Terrain Warning" and a the stategy game standard "Resources are low Capitan" equivalent right??

1 hour ago, wile1411 said:

Here you  go @linuxgurugamer

Not 100% sure I got the dropbox sharing right - but I've added two options

https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AADOxznhlKxTsGsEYSt-Y7OhqXTOwb_W0Vk

I got the files, thanks.

Right now it only has a single alarm sound, even when you add resources.  I'll see if I can add a way to specify a sound for each resource.

It's a bit slow, since I'm in the middle of working on another mod, but now I have a reason to work on this.

Thanks

Calling all players who have been complaining about the guitar twanging sound, now is your chance to get the alarm sound that you want.

I will soon be updating this mod with some new abilities recording sounds. Please send me the sounds that you would like. Wave files would be good, but MP3s are fine as well. 

On 5/27/2017 at 9:50 PM, SpaceFox25 said:

You should add a heart flatline sound effect when you DO crash :D

Can you find and send me a sound file like this? 

On 4/21/2017 at 2:54 AM, voicey99 said:

Is the ingame options tab supposed to have settings for the collision alarm? It only seems to have the option to add/delete resource alerts.

Also, maybe the sound could be a bit more alert-y? A twanging guitar string isn't the most alarming noise.

If you don't like the guitar sound find a sound that you do like and send it to me.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, KSPrynk said:

Not sure if this is related to the options.cfg issue, but the alert volume level slider isn't working for me (alert volume stays the same regardless of % setting) in-game or after re-starting.  Also, the alert settings state is not being saved after re-starting the game.  I'm using Danger Alerts 1.4.0 with MM 2.8.0 on KSP 1.3.0.1804 Win x64.

Thank you. These problems will be fixed in the next release. 

On 4/4/2017 at 2:20 PM, Jebs_SY said:

If I am not wrong, the danger alerts options.cfg is not in a plugindata directory, so invalidating the MM cache. 

Being fixed in the next person. 

New release, 1.4.1:

• Added button to SpaceCenter screen
  • Added sound selection to window for both descent speed and for each resource
  • Added several sounds to the file
  • Removed old unnecessary code
  • Change resource saves from XML to standard .cfg file
  • Removed options.cfg, the file can be deleted
  • Fixed volume setting
  • Added preview button for sound
  • Added sound for post crash

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
19 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

No offence but this mod is pretty bad. Going down at even a snail's pace activates the alarm which is pretty darn annoying when landing boosters and the alarm sound itself is poorly done, you can hear the where the audio loops.

Hmmmm.  do you have anything constructive to say?

No one is forcing you to use it, if you don't like it, you can remove it.

Did you bother to look at the settings?  The speed is adjustable, and there are different sounds  you can select.

If you want help, that's one thing, but if you came in here just to diss on me and the mod, that's not helpful or wanted

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmmmm.  do you have anything constructive to say?

No one is forcing you to use it, if you don't like it, you can remove it.

Did you bother to look at the settings?  The speed is adjustable, and there are different sounds  you can select.

If you want help, that's one thing, but if you came in here just to diss on me and the mod, that's not helpful or wanted

The last time I used it, it distracted me doing a Falcon 9 style landing and I had struggled to remove the height warning/add more warnings. Plus, the audio for the alarm doesn't loop properly.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Little nice mod thank you for taking care of it (too) @linuxgurugamer !

This afternoon it got me inspired, so I have created a slightly improved set of icons for it and added several new alarm sounds, captured from videos I found on the web:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ii93jeh3cx3ia3/Danger_Alerts_additional_sounds_%2B_new_icons.rar/file

Several of the new sounds are from some of my favorite space movies, an many others are original T-CAS and GPWS alarms used on the Boeing 737.

All the alarm tones can be looped or, if needed, they can be easily split into a single beep. Vocal warnings had noise added and voices "kerbalized" so to simulate radio calls from Mission Control. Most messages obviously have little or no use with the alarm types currently implemented in the mod, but I thought I would send them anyway, in case you decide to add new alarm-triggering events to the mod. They are mostly self-explanatory, but you can find descriptions for most of them at this link or in the comments to this youtube video.

32 minutes ago, gap said:

Little nice mod thank you for taking care of it (too) @linuxgurugamer !

This afternoon it got me inspired, so I have created a slightly improved set of icons for it and added several new alarm sounds, captured from videos I found on the web:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ii93jeh3cx3ia3/Danger_Alerts_additional_sounds_%2B_new_icons.rar/file

Several of the new sounds are from some of my favorite space movies, an many others are original T-CAS and GPWS alarms used on the Boeing 737.

All the alarm tones can be looped or, if needed, they can be easily split into a single beep. Vocal warnings had noise added and voices "kerbalized" so to simulate radio calls from Mission Control. Most messages obviously have little or no use with the alarm types currently implemented in the mod, but I thought I would send them anyway, in case you decide to add new alarm-triggering events to the mod. They are mostly self-explanatory, but you can find descriptions for most of them at this link or in the comments to this youtube video.

Thank you.

I've downloaded them and put them into the DA folder, will look at them when I have some free time

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you.

I've downloaded them and put them into the DA folder, will look at them when I have some free time

Take your time and let me know if you are plan adding some new features to this mod. I have quite a few ideas Re this topic, but I realize you are busy with the many more mods that you take car of :)

2 hours ago, gap said:

Take your time and let me know if you are plan adding some new features to this mod. I have quite a few ideas Re this topic, but I realize you are busy with the many more mods that you take car of :)

Not really planning on adding a lot to this, but if you post some of your ideas, I can see if they can be easily added

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not really planning on adding a lot to this, but if you post some of your ideas, I can see if they can be easily added

Okay, for ease of reading I will group my questions in categories. Here they are:

Alarm-triggering conditions

1. I don't know how collision  risk is currently estimated, but how easy  would be replacing it with more simple physical parameters (i.e. distance from the nearest celestial body, atmosphere pressure, distance from the soil, relative speed from the target body, velocity, vertical/horizontal speed and acceleration, g-force, pitch, roll and yaw angles, temperature, engine throttle, etc.), so to have an higher level of flexibility and so to enable the player setting his own customized alarms?

2. How about more complex variables like stall, system failures, etc?

3. For the first category (physical variables) could the user set a threshold beyond which a given alarm is triggered? e.g: if our craft's altitude relative to the surface is below 1,000 m or if its vertical speed is beyond 100 m/s, an alarm is triggered.

4. For all the variables: can we have per-part triggering conditions? e.g: if  a solar panel fails, if capsule's temperature is beyond 100° C, or if the landing gear is not extended, an alarm is triggered.

5. For resources: can we have absolute (unit) thresholds besides the relative (percent) thresholds already featured in the mod?

6. Can we combine two or more conditions for creating triggering events? e.g: if altitude is below 1,000 m AND v-speed is beyond -100 m/s, if we are below 500 m AND our V-speed is lesser than 0 m/s AND the landing gear is not extended, or if air pressure is bigger than 0 AND velocity is bigger than 25 m/s AND solar panels are extended, an alarm is triggered.

7. In order to better simulate radio calls from Control Tower/Mission Control,  could an alarm-triggering condition be active craft being in CommNet range and having a functional radio antenna fitted?

Alarm tone settings

8. Can we set alarm volumes in game? (Maybe that's a feature already implemented, though I couldn't find any volume setting in the mod menu).

9 Could we create customized warnings by choosing more than one sound for each alarm? e.g. when a given alarm is triggered, one beep from a file is played followed by two beeps from another file, or rather: a quindar tone is played followed by a vocal warning by Mission Control.

10. Could we choose how many times our custom alarms should be played: e.g. alarm playing a configurable number of times and then stopping, alarm looped until reaction by the player (i.e. mod's button pressed), or looped until alarm conditions are satisfied.

Textual alarms

11. Given the potentially high number of different alarms we can activate at the same time and the limited number of alarm tones we have available, having textual information on any possible alarm might be useful. Could  information on the last triggered alarm be displayed on screen (maybe in a tooltip popping up when we hoover the cursor on mod's button, or wherever you think it more appropriate)? Warning texts could be typed directly by the player, or be taken from the (first or last in case of multiple conditions) alarm-triggering condition: e.g. excessive descent speed, RCS failure, liquid fuel too low, pitch angle too high, etc.

Presets

12. Given the high number of alarms we can set and the complexity of the settings I suggested above, the ability to save/reload groups of pre-set alarms that we might use in different circumstances and share with the community, would be indeed an useful feature.

That should be all for now, thank you in advance for your attention and for answering some or all of the points above in no special order and with your time :)

46 minutes ago, gap said:

That should be all for now...

Never mind, sorry: I have just had another idea; add it to the list:

Visual alarms

13. What about letting the player free to choose different mod buttons to be triggered  by different alarms? We could use buttons of different colors from yellow to purple to represent various severity levels, or we could even put symbols on them to discern at first glance an alarm from the other.

Edited by gap

• 2 weeks later...

New release, 1.4.5

• Added InstallChecker
  • Updated MiniAVC to 1.4
  • Updated for 1.8
On 10/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, gap said:

8. Can we set alarm volumes in game? (Maybe that's a feature already implemented, though I couldn't find any volume setting in the mod menu).

Look in the stock Settings page for this mod, there is a volume there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.