KSP Weekly: What a week!

SQUAD

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

To give you a taste of the work that has been done: Roverdude focused last week on finishing up our new American 1.875m lander modeled after the Apollo LEM.  And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here’s a screenshot.  Usual caveats that all parts have to make it through QA, etc. Some interesting things on our LEM - RCS is built in, it supports a crew of two Kerbals, and while it lacks a reaction wheel (depending on RCS for maneuvering), it does have space for LFO, and can be connected to either a 1.25. or 1.875m stack.

No!!!!! We are not worthy! That module looks Fantastic! I love the interesting twist with the built in RCS, but no reaction wheels. A lot more realistic. Judging by the last sentence, I think we can discern that in the expansion will be a new 1.875 meter stack.

Also, I think we know know where the Rocket Part Art Overhaul went. It wasn't shelved, I'll bet it is the art used for the 1.875m stack. I do not look forward to changing all my rockets back to the old art so that there is no confusion. That took forever.

5 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I too am a tad concerned it is more duplo than lego but ho hum, the pack is what the pack is, a recreation of sorts.

It was a tough call on that part, and a lot of concessions were made in things like attachment node sizes, etc. to keep it as lego as possible, while also recognizing that this is an expansion, so there's a bit more leeway in making some more unique parts.  

5 hours ago, rudi1291 said:

The Apollo LEM looks nice, but i wonder will it have 2 crew or just 1? It looks to small for 2... 

Will be interesting to see the soviet styled parts

It (barely) fits two Kerbals.  And those Kerbals better be very very close friends :wink:

was reluctant . Saw the LEM . Oh boy!

But for the next time i 'd like a new set of soundtracks as DLC. wouldn't harm anything(one? lol) and would be super duper ^_^

One question though , if gemini / vostok pods get ejection animations will the implementation become a part of the expansion pack or will it it be available in base game for mods? forcing base players/modders to use methods full of overheads can be a bit .. meh :/

50 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

It was a tough call on that part

I can see that matey, hence what I said after that. It's a recreation of sorts so it needs to look more like something than not. Great work on it, I can't wait to see the view from those two little windows. :-)

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

It was a tough call on that part, and a lot of concessions were made in things like attachment node sizes, etc. to keep it as lego as possible <snip>

There's also another "lego"-issue to keep in mind.

Adding new building blocks that can be used in more ways than just what the designer had in mind.

There's few thing that annoy me more in a box of real or virtual blocks than a block that are more or less locked into one single design :/

(Not saying that the object in question is one of those, just wanted to raise the issue).

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

The Chronicles are written by us (while selected by Squad).

I wouldn't put too much focus on such 'facts'.

Not all by us. Some is Squad originated and with the historical aspect inland KSC makes sense.. 

Devs - my preferred game style is sandbox. Will this expansion play nice in my sandbox?

Edited by Red Shirt

18 hours ago, SleepyInsomniac said:

No news for console players? Hmm...

I can see what you mean - you're waiting (and waiting) for the fix to come. But how do you know this expansion pack won't be availble for consoles? I have no inside information on that, but I would be surprised if it wasn't made available to consoles too. If I'm right, then this is also news for console players just as much as for PC/Mac/Linux players.

I'm still waiting for the Amiga port.

@SQUAD, this KSP Weekly has been a joy to read.  The magazine was entertaining and humorous, the LEM-style lander can screenshot was eye-watering, and the additional announcement of the expansion has already gotten me hyped, even though I know it must be some time before I can get my hands on it.

I can't wait to see the next KSP Weekly. :)

Does anyone know if The Kerbal Chronicles is going to be a recurring event?

Is it just me or does the LEM suggest a change in the model tree for the expansion parts?

So that it's

- Tank - Faring / decoupler - Tank (Line of structure)

|_ engine(s)

instead of 

- Tank - Engine - decoupler- Tank

Faring _| 

It's always seemed odd to pretend that complex moving machines like engines can be suddenly structural.

22 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

The LM model does indeed look great! Thank you for the screenshot.

I too am a tad concerned it is more duplo than lego but ho hum, the pack is what the pack is, a recreation of sorts.

It will come in handy for those with slower PCs I suppose. Like a few others I have already made my own LM that I wont be giving up! It probably took as long to make as that model did. :D

I look forward to seeing the other parts, heres hoping for more structural parts.

To me it's more a lego city motorbike than a duplo piece. 

You could build it with parts but it never look as good.

The whole team has been working impossibly hard to get the Pre-Release ready in time. There’s still polish to do, but most of the gremlins have been slayed now

With the focus on proper localization, I feel that it would be prudent to inform you that the proper word tense for that is "slain".

In any case, that LM has pushed the expansion from a "Might buy" to a "shut up and take my money!"

15 hours ago, DGatsby said:

Does this mean we finally get a stock Soyuz? I've been wanting that since 2011.

I have no idea if a stock Soyuz would be good or it would be the next biggest spark for Danny2642 and Nexters Lab to start doing terrorism videos with the pod...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.