A question for active modders

CarnageINC

This post is in no way intended to be a mod update request.

This discussion is aimed specifically at modders like @linuxgurugamer, @JPLRepo, @Papa_Joe, @RealGecko, @Ser and many others who have revived older mods for the community.  Please bear with my posting.

Recently I noticed that @Gaarst had resurrected the Community Mod Library.  So I volunteered to help him organize and repopulate it for the community.  During my time spent combing through the vast depths of the Add-on Releases pages, I gathered over a 150-200+ mod links that have either not been updated to v1.2.2, forgotten about or abandoned.

I've gone through all those remaining mods and tossed out the ones with a missing/restrictive license, bad or missing download links.  I then tossed aside the mods that were older versions of current mods.  Finally, I tossed out utility and part mods that were poorly done, in my opinion, or are generic repeats of a half dozen mods that already current, I didn't think we needed more Mk 1-2 command pod types for the most part.

The remaining  72 mods (mostly part related) have fallen into roughly 4 categories in my organization purposes; abandoned (19 mods), questionable value (12 mods), not updated by modders of limited activity (25 mods) and not updated by active modders (16 mods).  In addition, 19 mods that are not verifiably compatible with 1.2.2 crept into the main community mod list.

tldr; portion....

Would the active modding community, or anyone looking to get into modding, like to have a 'tinker list' compiled for them?  I have already done most of the work gathering and sorting the mods and would only take a day to publish.  I'm just wondering if there is a need for them to be publicly listed.  I didn't want to make a new posting without asking you guys first simply to prevent an outbreak of thread necromancy clogging up the main pages.

A secondary side question, if the active modding community would like a compiled list, do you think its appropriate to add in vetted abandoned mod links from the Add-on Development pages?

Edited by CarnageINC

Sure.  I'm currently working on FuseBox, but seeing what need updating would be both interesting and useful.  That being said, I'm mostly staying away from parts-only mods because I don't do 3d modeling.

I also just released an updated version of Danger Alerts, now updated and bugs fixed

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Okay, I'll put the list together for modders.  I'll locate it in the Add-on Development page, probably with the title similar to "Obsolete Community Mods, aka Tinker Library" or something like that.  I've decided to recomb the Add-on Release library under a more watchful eye and surprised myself by finding about 30-40 more 'dead' mods.  I also went back over the tossed list of mods that I thought were poorly done or not worth the effort and pulled 10-12 of those out.

To ensure I'm not throwing garbage in the library, I'm going to take a couple extra days for quality control purposes.

Edited by CarnageINC

Don't throw out any part mods because the models and art work were low quality, if it was a good idea implemented badly it'd be something i'd be interested in redoing.

I'm excited to see what might be in there :D 

6 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Don't throw out any part mods because the models and art work were low quality, if it was a good idea implemented badly it'd be something i'd be interested in redoing.

I'm excited to see what might be in there :D 

I have only excluded 3 parts mods, I think, due to low quality.  One of the mods, the modder was told to get a license put on it and didn't do so.  It was basically a bright green and black reskined stock part.  The other 2 mods were basically cones of similar shape and size to the Mk1-2, one a simple grey texture, the other dark green.  I figured anyone who can create parts can do the same things, if not better.  So I deleted those from my compiled list. :/

I think there were only 2 utility type mods I got annoyed with trying to figure out what they did, so I chucked those out too.  Overall, if the links were valid and the license for the mod were of an open nature, its going to be on the list.  I ultimately told myself, who am I to decide if its rubbish or not for the majority of the mods I didn't want to originally put in the library. 

I did find an absolutely beautiful mod that was done 2 or 3 years ago with a restricted license and no live links.  That is the only mod I'm trying to contact the owner of and beg for them to open up their license and provide a copy of the work.  Its a sad shame to see that beautiful work get shuffled away and lost to time.

I'm almost finished with the post, I just got about 20 mods left to put in it.

By the way @dboi88 , I'm quite excited to see your mod finished and posted into the Community Library!  It looks awesome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.