Airliner Safety Challenge

12 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

I don't see a requirement to have actually flown it for the maximum range.  @Rath suggests flying it until it crashes and then using F3 to check, but again, this thing should never crash.  There is no change in performance over time, and I've flown it for ~20 minutes or more wanting to make sure that it was actually capable of sustained flight and didn't wiggle itself apart.  Since the plane can keep flying, it'll only crash when I stop paying attention and it starts to pick up some bank and crashes into the ocean.  That's a test of my own willingness to waste a few days of time when I could be doing something better as opposed to the capabilities of the aircraft.  

You know, there is an autopilot mod called PilotAssistant - you can use that to check, just leave it running for a bit.

15 hours ago, qzgy said:

You know, there is an autopilot mod called PilotAssistant - you can use that to check, just leave it running for a bit.

Again, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be checking.  I've checked the engines, and they can run for several hours at the right RPM under physics warp on the test stand, so it can be assumed that they should never lose thrust.  The plane can sustain flight as long as the engines don't lose thrust or parts fall off.  There is no reason for parts to spontaneously fall off in flight when the plane is flown properly.  Ergo, the plane should keep flying forever when flown properly, and I'm not sure how flying it for 20 minutes is any less comprehensive a test than flying it for 20 days.  What exactly would flying it for a longer time period test?

Edit:  After a bit of math, it'd take me at least 4 days MET if I wanted to comfortably get first place.  I'd rather not.  

Edited by Charlie_Zulu

8 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

@Rath, I'm still not on the scoreboard.  

Since it's not quite in the spirit of the challenge and I can understand why you wouldn't want it there, can I get a honourable mention in the light category at least?  

I don't see my plane on the score board either

On 4/24/2017 at 8:07 AM, ShadowGoat said:

Can we enter fairing blimps?

I mean you could, but HOW

10 hours ago, Charlie_Zulu said:

@Rath, I'm still not on the scoreboard.  

Since it's not quite in the spirit of the challenge and I can understand why you wouldn't want it there, can I get a honourable mention in the light category at least?  

I'm thinking that electric planes will be scored without range, with a category in honourable mentions.  If I get enough they will have their own leaderboard.  @Azimech-style turboprops will be scored normally, as they burn fuel.

I submit a 4 passenger light plane.

QJVxIG8.png

I qualify for the following bonuses and maluses.

• Your plane stalls at less than 50m/s (5 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 66.6% of it's engines (5 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 50% of it's engines (20 points)
  • Your plane can belly land with all crew and passengers surviving (20 points)
  • Your plane has airbrakes (10 points)
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with all crew surviving (10 points)
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with no damage (20 points)
  • Your plane is a seaplane (20 points)
  • Your plane is an amphibious seaplane (10 points, stacks with above)
  • Simple fuel and air systems: your plane has all fuel tanks and air intakes in the same stack as an engine (10 points)

The max speed I reached was 834 m/s, and the farthest I've flown it was about 1600 km.

So, it's a 1144 1139 point plane.

Edited by roboslacker
There was an issue with my plane's bonuses

1 hour ago, roboslacker said:

I submit a 4 passenger light plane.

QJVxIG8.png

I qualify for the following bonuses and maluses.

• Your plane can fly on 66.6% of it's engines (5 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 50% of it's engines (20 points)
  • Your plane can belly land with all crew and passengers surviving (20 points)
  • Your plane can ditch in the water with no damage (20 points)
  • Your plane is a seaplane (20 points)
  • Your plane is an amphibious seaplane (10 points, stacks with above)
  • Simple fuel and air systems: your plane has all fuel tanks and air intakes in the same stack as an engine (10 points)

The max speed I reached was 834 m/s, and the farthest I've flown it was about 1600 km.

So, it's a 1144 point plane.

How did you measure the min number of engines for flight?  I only see two engines, and you are meant to measure by shutting off engines not by throttling.  This means your max bonus should be 50%.

1 hour ago, Rath said:

How did you measure the min number of engines for flight?  I only see two engines, and you are meant to measure by shutting off engines not by throttling.  This means your max bonus should be 50%.

I measured the min engine bonus by taking off, flying a few km, then shutting off an engine and turning around and landing.

mNoNznL.png

17 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

I measured the min engine bonus by taking off, flying a few km, then shutting off an engine and turning around and landing.

mNoNznL.png

But can it fly (Not take off) and gain altitude with only one engine?  I still don't understand where the 66.% bonus came from if there are only two engines?

Edited by Rath

Currently modifying my B-52 by replacing some fuel tanks with passenger cabins. Will probably post my entry tomorrow. Though the B-52 is a pig of a thing to fly, with a stall speed of 40m/s, and a top speed of... somewhere over 500m/s. I haven't fully tested the speeds it can reach. It uses eight 'Panther' afterburning turbofans, and two small 'Junos' on the ends of the wings. Playing in career, so I don't have the 'Whiplash' engines yet, but if I use them instead of the 'Panthers,' I could probably get to orbital velocity.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

I went with Light... Max Speed 550 m/s, Distance: ~1800 KM can reach anywhere on kerbin, 6 Passengers and 1 flight attendant.  Bonus Points: 

• Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff (20 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 25% of it's engines (35 points                Points Taken: Your plane solely relies on alternators on the main engines for power (-10 points)
  • Your plane can fly on any two engines.
  • Your plane has airbrakes                           Total Score: 830.5                                           

1st submission!

Spoiler

Bonus points: (Only those that matter)

• Your plane cannot tailstrike no matter how hard you pull up on takeoff (20 points)
  • Your plane does not need SAS to fly stably (20 points) 
  • Your plane does not need trim adjustment to fly straight and level.  This only stacks with the non SAS points. (10 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 50% of its engines (20 points)
  • Your plane can fly on 25% of its engines (35 points) 
  • Your plane can fly on any two engines.
  • Your plane can melt itself if left at full throttle. (Saftey feature if both pilots fell asleep) (-10 points)

~1640+(2067.944/10)+(80)+125

Final Score: 2051.7944 !! (Medium Aircraft)

Note: The top speed used for my calculations was higher than the one achieved in the F3 menu. That's because that speed (~1640 m/s) was achieved in a different flight with no screenshot record. At the OP's request, I will change my calculations accordingly. 

EDIT: Forgot to convert meters to km... Score changed accordingly.

Edited by SpacePod9

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.