[1.2.2] Brown Dwarf Jool (Kopernicus)

electricpants

BROWN DWARF JOOL CHANGES JOOL INTO A BROWN DWARF AND REARRANGES ITS SYSTEM TO LOOK MORE LIKE A SYSTEM OF PLANETS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestial Bodies:

JOOL: Jool is now a small T-type brown dwarf.

TYLO: The first planet is Tylo, a hot, atmosphereless, and dead world orbiting closest to Jool.

LAYTHE: The second planet is Laythe, a sanctuary for Kerbalkind around Jool.

POL: Laythe's moon, Pol, is tidally stretched by both Laythe and Jool, creating a small yet volcanicly active moon.

VALL: The third and final planet is Vall, a small, cold world with no atmosphere orbiting far from Jool.

BOP: Vall's moon, Bop, is a relatively large asteroid orbiting closely to Vall, but since Vall is smaller than Laythe, it isn't pulled and stretched too much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credit to:

Nobody, I just had an idea and played around with it for a few days, and voila! :wink:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1265/Brown Dwarf Jool

Dependencies:

Kopernicus (Packaged with mod)

Edited by electricpants

Just now, electricpants said:

@daniel l. None yet, though I may have some up soon.

@theaveragepxtseryu, I can't go outside the range of temperatures for a T-type brown dwarf, so I may just increase the Semimajoraxis of the planets.

How do you plan on dealing with Kerbol? KSP can only render the light of one sun at a time. So Jool being a star would mess up the realism of lighting.

Just now, daniel l. said:

How do you plan on dealing with Kerbol? KSP can only render the light of one sun at a time. So Jool being a star would mess up the realism of lighting.

I'll probably turn it into a gas giant with a high temperature curve and make it look like a star/brown dwarf.

11 minutes ago, electricpants said:

I'll probably turn it into a gas giant with a high temperature curve and make it look like a star/brown dwarf.

Maybe you could turn it into a Y-Dwarf, because they have low temputure. Might be quite interesting, and is the picture on the Spacedock page from the mod or from somewhere else? the picture on the spacedock page looks like a cool alternate texture.

1 minute ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

Maybe you could turn it into a Y-Dwarf, because they have low temputure. Might be quite interesting, and is the picture on the Spacedock page from the mod or from somewhere else? the picture on the spacedock page looks like a cool alternate texture.

I stole the pic from google (SE doesn't work for me because I don't have an upgraded graphics card).

And I do have a texture that looks similar to that saved somewhere...

Edited by electricpants

2 minutes ago, electricpants said:

I stole the pic from google (SE doesn't work for me because I don't have an upgraded graphics card).

Ah, alright. Thank you for the speedy reply.

Also, the red glow from Jool is EXTREMELY scary. Well done.

Edited by Pxtseryu

Just now, theaveragepxtseryu said:

@electricpants

is it unusual for anything on the day side of the moons of jool to get incinerated by this mod?

The heat from Jool is a tad too much, so I'm making all them plernerts 10x as far away.

Hopefully that fixes it without making me have to change Jool into a pseudo-Gas giant type thing.

• 4 months later...

"This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one"

Anyways, once I get back to Pennsylvania sometime in August, I might do an update for this mod, since I guess it's a pretty interesting concept.

• 3 months later...

Ok, this is definitely a bit late, but I think I'm gonna have to hold off the 'update' I mentioned because my computer ended up breaking, and so now the only thing I have is a crappy Ubuntu school laptop.

Luckily, I do actually have some ideas for this mod, such as:

• Making Jool darker and more magenta-ey, so it looks more like a real T-dwarf
  • Having the planets orbit at a more realistic distance
  • Giving Jool an 'asteroid belt' (a ring) and putting Bop and Pol in as dwarf planets or large asteroids
  • Making Jool it's own system off in interstellar space, maybe ~2-3 kerbal light years away (0.2-0.3 RL light years)
  • Giving Jool a more realistic temperature, and maybe a better temperature curve
  • Increasing the masses and sizes of Jool's planets Tylo, Laythe, and Vall
  • (If I manage to figure out how) Give Tylo and Laythe backside ice caps like they probably should
  • Put in a Neptune-like ice giant where Jool used to orbit

So yeah, this update thing is going to be on hold until I can get a new laptop. :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.