Add-on Development Mod Library

CarnageINC

Please note, I just released KSPCasher Continued for 1.2.2

https://spacedock.info/mod/1267

10 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

I have a question for the modders.  Old wheel mods, are they something I should add in?  I know there has been a lot of changes to code and stuff in regards to those.

What about texture mods?  Are they important?  What about expandable parts, similar in nature to some of porkjet's hab modules? 

No to the old wheel mods, but you might want to list them in a section which says that they are not compatible due to changes in the underlying code which supports wheels.  This way if someone wants to take the models, they would at least know what they are getting into.

Texture mods, YES!!!!

Not sure what you mean about expandable parts, are you referring to moving them into their own section?

10 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

For clarification, your talking about the parts to the mod, not the dll plugin?  We have the dll plugin in the main library.  Firespitter is here only because I wasn't sure if Snjo's original parts are working.

The whole thing.  While I have work to do, it's already under management.

For any  who are interested, I did some work on the mod:  Kerbin Date Calendar Redux,

It works, but I couldn't get it to overwrite the overlay over the Mission Time in the TimeWarp Panel.

If anyone  has any ideas about that, please let me know, or, if you want to try working on it yourself, feel free to fork my repo:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KSPCalendar

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please note, I just released KSPCasher Continued for 1.2.2

https://spacedock.info/mod/1267

No to the old wheel mods, but you might want to list them in a section which says that they are not compatible due to changes in the underlying code which supports wheels.  This way if someone wants to take the models, they would at least know what they are getting into.

Texture mods, YES!!!!

Not sure what you mean about expandable parts, are you referring to moving them into their own section?

Thank you for the information, having a section for obsolete mods is actually a great idea.  Never know what little bits or pieces you can extract.  I've found a few good ideas that I don't believe have an open license I can put in that section.

10 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The whole thing.  While I have work to do, it's already under management.

Awesome, thank you for the clarification, I read the last couple pages but I wasn't sure the parts still worked.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For any  who are interested, I did some work on the mod:  Kerbin Date Calendar Redux,

It works, but I couldn't get it to overwrite the overlay over the Mission Time in the TimeWarp Panel.

If anyone  has any ideas about that, please let me know, or, if you want to try working on it yourself, feel free to fork my repo:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KSPCalendar

Should I put this on the library list linuxgurugamer?  I'll note that what you wrote here so it doesn't get buried.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:44 PM, magico13 said:

If I remember correctly, the KerbalStuff dump is sorted by author, then by mod name, as a bunch of folders. With every build they uploaded. I don't remember if it was everything, or only things that allowed redistribution.

I have the complete download, too...  As well as a ton of stuff prior to KerbalStuff even coming online...
Yes, it is EVERYTHING... It does include lots of mods that have closed licenses, so it would have to be sorted to see what can actually be redistributed at all.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 2017-03-19 at 7:42 PM, CarnageINC said:

[1.0.2] Persistent Trails, by SirJodelstein - This mod shows a visual trail of your vehicle's movement.  GitHub link is still active.

Persistent Trails caught my eye as an upgrade candidate, but it turns out it's already 1.2.0 compatible officially, and I tried the installer with 1.2.2 and it seemed to work fine.

The thread OP and Title aren't updated for it and the original author is AWOL, but on the last page @JPLRepo posted updated releases for 1.1 then 1.2, so I'd say that qualifies as official.  :) 

I have a question about licenses.  I've read the forum post on them but I can't find my answers (very dry reading).  Are you guys allowed to update or modify an project that does not have a license?  Are those to be treated as "All Rights Reserved"?

Another question, BSD license seem to be an open license but they very restrictive?  I don't run across it very often but I just want to double check. 

18 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

I have a question about licenses.  I've read the forum post on them but I can't find my answers (very dry reading).  Are you guys allowed to update or modify an project that does not have a license?  Are those to be treated as "All Rights Reserved"?

I would treat no license as all rights reserved. But then, I may just be a grumpy old man.

27 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

Another question, BSD license seem to be an open license but they very restrictive?  I don't run across it very often but I just want to double check. 

I believe no license means All Rights Reserved - that's basically the default under copyright law.

The BSD license is actually very open - Open it's very close to public domain, except that you retain copyright and that must be acknowledged.  Two things make it less common: First off, it's open enough that people can actually take your code and use it in *non* open-source products.  They have to credit you, but that's it.  Secondly, 'BSD License' referrers to (as on the Wikipedia page you linked) four similar but not exactly the same licenses, some of which are incompatible with GPL for instance.  Quite often people will go with other equivalent licenses just to prevent confusion.  (My KPBStoMKS mod for example: The MIT license is essentially the same as a BSD license - but only one variant.  So it's therefore less ambiguous.)

17 hours ago, DStaal said:

I believe no license means All Rights Reserved - that's basically the default under copyright law.

I'll confirm this.  There have been a number of mods I've wanted to take over, but after checking with the moderators, wasn't able to because of no license, which put it into the ARR area 

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll confirm this.  There have been a number of mods I've wanted to take over, but after checking with the moderators, wasn't able to because of no license, which put it into the ARR area 

I would appreciate that, there are some good ideas I can add that have no license.  I have about 20 links from the dev pages that currently fall into that category.  I have another 15 that I need to look for in the KerbalStuff dump I got from magico13.  Then I got to go back through Release pages for the KerbalStuff links I passed on before, that might generate some more stuff too.

@DStaal is correct that ARR is the default pretty much anywhere in the world. If you really want to get into the legalese read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention but if not here's a relevant quote from the summary:

The Berne Convention formally mandated several aspects of modern copyright law; it introduced the concept that a copyright exists the moment a work is "fixed", rather than requiring registration. It also enforces a requirement that countries recognize copyrights held by the citizens of all other signatory countries.

Spoiler

I know citing Wikipedia is lazy, but I also know this is true because I looked into it in detail 25 years ago when I started releasing software.  It is actually even more true now (i.e. more globally consistent) than it was then.

Edited by paulprogart
I'm not a lawyer, as if that wasn't obvious

I just got to say....WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO!!!! :o:/:confused:

I know this will be worth the pain once its complete, but I have my doubts any sane person would want to maintain it afterwards.  Maybe it will be one of those things that once someone has laid the foundation, it can be maintained with a small bit of effort.  I'm almost ready to release Update 1 of a 3 part update to the library.  Update 1 will be all current DEV mods that goes back 1 year.  Update 2 will be Older DEV mods that go back past a year to the beginning of the DEV forum, Update 3 will be odd stuff; No license/restrictive license, obsolete and 'author stated' abandoned mods over 1 year old.

I'm going to stop using the term 'abandoned' unless the creator actually states they have quit working on it.  That will be changed also in the Older Release section. 

I'm amazed on how much actually time I've sunk into the whole library project in the last month, close to 6-8 hours a day.  I feel the burn out looming, to get myself to the finish line I picture myself as 'the little SRB that could' LOL, I'm struggling to get my payload to orbit then I'll be expended, staged and free to fall into oblivion! LOL

I need some feedback about a forum etiquette dilemma I'm starting to feeling.  I've seen soooo sooo many posts where someone asks "DOES THIS WORK WITH X.X.X"  or "IS THIS BEING UPDATED", where the original author stopped work on it 2 years before.  Maybe its just a pet peeve of mine, but people just don't read they just ask.  I want to limit this the best I can.  I'm open to suggestions on a type of format or way to limit or prevent people from necro'ing these very old mods. 

This is the current format I'm using for these older mods, but I don't think its going to be effective.  If it has a version number, I add it in like normal.  If its a WIP or DEV Thread and has no version labeling, I'm using [x.x.x]

Current example for older dev mods - [1.0.5] Add-on Development Mod Library, by CarnageINC - This is the add-on Development Library.  Last post.

Here are some ideas I had in mind. 

#1 - [1.0.5] Add-on Development Mod Library, by CarnageINC - This is the add-on Development Library.  Last post.

#2 - [1.0.5] Add-on Development Mod Library, by CarnageINC - This is the add-on Development Library.

#3 - [x.x.x] Add-on Development Mod Library, by CarnageINC - This is the add-on Development Library.  Last post.

#4 - [x.x.x] Add-on Development Mod Library, by CarnageINC - This is the add-on Development Library.

I was wondering if the "Last post" helps and should I go through the extra work of adding "Last post" on the description line for mods that need it?  I've almost finished Update 2 so this point might be for not.

Should or can I ask a forum moderator to lock down those old threads before I put the update out there?  I'm I over thinking this?  I do that quite often, lol, just ask Gaarst :blush:

I'm open to suggestions or ideas.

*I've finished Update 2 since I posed this question.  I'm going to hold off on posting it till I get some feedback from at least 2 or 3 people.  If no feedback is given, I'll pull the trigger on it and modify it later if need be.

Edited by CarnageINC
Update on question

9 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

The mod kOS appears to be missing from all the lists in the header post.  It's both released and under active development.

Thank you, noted.

Update 2 released.  Last 2 updates will be out soon.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Kerbal HotSeat has been adopted and released for 1.2.2

The Toolbar still works in 1.2.2, he hasn't updated it since it hasn't needed updating

Cool beans.  Yep Toolbar is a solid plugin, I should ask Gaarst to include it on the Community Library list.

On 3/19/2017 at 9:42 PM, CarnageINC said:

[0.2.4] JSIPartUtilities, by Mahara - A collection of PartModules for solving problems posed by alexustas, these will eventually be bundled and published separately for general use. Patch by linuxgurugamer (Dropbox)

this is now a github link, along with the source code which I pushed to the repo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.