Backspace doesn't refocus the camera on the spacecraft. Any ideas?

OP you can change them in the keymap editor in settings, the offending shortcuts are in the vessel and game tabs. (I don't get why this change was made, who uses emergency abort in KSP enough to give it better real estate than refocus craft?)

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

57 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Well the KSP wiki could do with updating, it's user contributed :wink:

Backspace to reset the camera conflicted with the Abort action group, so had to be changed.

...and that's because hardly anyone uses the reset camera function and everyone is using the abort action all the time, right?

Not sure your point, but there are times where reset camera and abort are both active, so having them on the same button was detrimental.

It's remappable so knock yourself out and rebind it to backspace if you want.

Backquote is a little more ergonomic as it's near the tab key for cycling through bodies, shift+tab to cycle backwards, it's also the key for search in the VAB and SPH.

Sorry, was not well phrased. 

What I meant was that if you had to move a function that everyone had got used to then didn't it make more sense to move the function that is much less well used i.e. abort?

But I get your point that we can edit the key usage. 

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

What I meant was that if you had to move a function that everyone had got used to then didn't it make more sense to move the function that is much less well used i.e. abort?

I guess, though I find my left hand on wasd, and my right hand on the mouse or joystick, comfortably away from the button that can wreck my flight if I hit it by mistake, which is also comfortably large and easy to jab when I do actually need it.

So there's some logic to it.

32 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

but there are times where reset camera and abort are both active, so having them on the same button was detrimental.

Are there? I can't think of any. However, I've more than once attempted to hit backspace to re-center the flight camera, because of habit, with disastrous results, so I agree it was detrimental.

Maybe backspace should have been moved ... but shift-tab is ALSO a danger if you have your navball up in map view.  You just want to go back 1-2 celestial bodies, and suddenly you throttle up!

20 hours ago, Kryxal said:

Maybe backspace should have been moved ... but shift-tab is ALSO a danger if you have your navball up in map view.  You just want to go back 1-2 celestial bodies, and suddenly you throttle up!

huh so that's what's been throttling up my ships!

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Well, it could be changed, but to what?

Are right and left alt taken?   Right cycles through planets one way, left cycles through the other way.

Dangerously close to the spacebar, but no one ever said spaceflight was easy! :wink:

Edited by klesh

16 minutes ago, klesh said:

Are right and left alt taken?

Left alt can't be used on Linux because the supported distro (Ubuntu) uses it as a special key, it allows you to grab and move an applications window without using the header bar for example.

Right alt is a bit strange, it's really AltGr on many keyboards and Unity seems unable to detect it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.