Rocket Assisted Take-Off Fans?

Alpha 360

I have always enjoyed using solid rocket boosters strapped to the wings of a SSTO, just to give it a booster on the way up as well as giving it the most awesome look I have ever seen, any buyers?

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

Same here, same here. Any tips on mounting them without them exploding anything important? I just slap them on the wings with the largest, tallest decouplers (don't know any other way off putting it). Also, do you prefer kickbacks or BACC Thumpers?

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

4 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

Any tips on mounting them without them exploding anything important?

Use Structural Pylons instead of decouplers ... look nicer and they are much better at not causing a RUD

They work the same as a decoupler

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 hours ago, p1t1o said:

At first I was like "Rocket-assisted-fan? how is that supposed to work?!"

But yeah, I like me few ginormous RATO boosters :)

Wouldn't that be how Iron man saved the heli-carrier?

And on a side note.... these are not SSTOs any more, just regular spaceplanes.    </pendant>

11 hours ago, gargamel said:

And on a side note.... these are not SSTOs any more, just regular spaceplanes.    </pendant>

Not "stage-and-a-half"?

How many "stages" was the space shuttle stack?

...its pedant

/pedant

I'll admit to doing this from time to time though it's usually just fleas to give a quick boost, but those bigger ones are a temptation.  Also I'm cheap and SRBs fit that mentality quite well.

22 hours ago, p1t1o said:

How many "stages" was the space shuttle stack?

...its pedant

/pedant

3 I think.  Boosters, main Engines, and then OMS.  Argument could be made for 2.

I knew pendant didn't seem right.  Thanks. 

Nothing beats attaching solid rocket boosters(the most KERBAL boosters) to a SSTO, (which is the most KERBAL plane) to exceed supersonic speeds(which also very KERBAL), to go to space (which is the most kerbal of all of the above)

Basically, RATO SSTOs is the most kerbal you can get:cool:.

Edited by Alpha 360

On 22/03/2017 at 8:48 AM, gargamel said:

What if you eject boosters before leaving the ground? Would that still be a SSTO?

Now to find a catapult runway mod.

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

What if you eject boosters before leaving the ground? Would that still be a SSTO?

There's a mod with an aircraft carrier deck, it made a catapult system by having a gap (usually stowed but the deck was animated so it could open) that the front landing gear fit in.  It had a block in the back that pushed the gear forward to accelerate the plane.

I don't remember what it was called. :(

4 hours ago, mattinoz said:

No.

SSTO stands for Single Stage to Orbit.  Any type of staging is,unsurprisingly, a multiple stage vehicle.  SSTO does not mean space plane.  You can make a SSTO vertical launch rocket. 

I have one for LKO rescue missions. Small spaceplane with two expendable BACC-10 boosters and one aerospike. dV is about 3700m/s, more than I need for such missions.

Technically, it is not pure SSTO as I decouple boosters. But then, Atlas V with boosters should be 3 stage rocket, not two as introduced everywhere.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, TheKosanianMethod said:

I had an SSTO that used four jets. It would get to space pretty quickly. But not fast enough for me. I threw two SRB's on. Mach one by the end of the runway.

I have a plane that uses just vector engines and hits mach 2 before leaving runway and mach 4 shortly after :D

Edited by nascarlaser1

On 23/3/2017 at 1:58 AM, gargamel said:

3 I think.  Boosters, main Engines, and then OMS.  Argument could be made for 2.

I knew pendant didn't seem right.  Thanks. 

Well you would have to hit spacebar 3 times, so I would say it's 3.

What about the other way?

Not so much planes exclusively but ive been known to put an array of forward firing seperons on craft to function as an emergency air brake both in aviation and railway terms.. Its rather useful thing

Although we do have drag chutes now for this..it seems less...kerbal

Nothing beats hitting abort key and having brilliant blinding flames shoot out over the locomotives nose as a last resort

Same for aircraft that landed too hot

As long as you dont be all C130 and fire them in the air..at which point the air deems you unworthy and vacates airfoils, control surfaces and its friend the ground welcomes you with open arms

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.