Addon Localization Home

DMagic

Links to the actual content that needs translating should really be provided if people want help. When asking for someone to help in translating your files they really shouldn't have to dig through a GitHub repo or download the mod and search through the folders to find what needs translating.

Going further and providing an in-depth guide for how to translate the text like HebaruSan does is also fine, but a direct link to the file or folder with the text would really be helpful.

Also keep in mind that, while you can name the localization tags anything, it might be best to keep the "#autoLOC_mod_identifier" format used by Squad (regardless of why it was used in the first place) because it helps to instantly identify a line as one used for localization.

Hi, DMagic thanks for starting this.

If anyone has a moment, I just localized Explodium Breathing Engines and could use assistance with translations. Here's the Localization folder in my GitHub project.

This is mostly a part mod plus one additional atmospheric resource. I'm not sure if there's a euphemism for "something that easily explodes" that works in the other supported languages. Maybe the translated biome name for Eve's Explodium Sea would work. Otherwise, as these are clones of stock parts, clones of stock translations are probably enough.

2 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Hi, DMagic thanks for starting this.

If anyone has a moment, I just localized Explodium Breathing Engines and could use assistance with translations. Here's the Localization folder in my GitHub project.

This is mostly a part mod plus one additional atmospheric resource. I'm not sure if there's a euphemism for "something that easily explodes" that works in the other supported languages. Maybe the translated biome name for Eve's Explodium Sea would work. Otherwise, as these are clones of stock parts, clones of stock translations are probably enough.

Hi, I will be very happy to help with the Spanish part, let me check and tomorrow in the afternoon I should have a translation ready :)

Thanks for the links.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that mods using OnGUI might not be able to properly display some character sets. Maybe @JPLRepo could clarify.

It's possible that with custom fonts it would work. But the best solution is to use the new UI and to get all of your text displayed using TextMesh Pro and the Noto Sans fonts included with KSP. That can be a lot of trouble depending on how complex the mod is, though.

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

Thanks for the links.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that mods using OnGUI might not be able to properly display some character sets. Maybe @JPLRepo could clarify.

It's possible that with custom fonts it would work. But the best solution is to use the new UI and to get all of your text displayed using TextMesh Pro and the Noto Sans fonts included with KSP. That can be a lot of trouble depending on how complex the mod is, though.

Perhaps. But in the testing I did for the supported languages with my own mods (which sadly are all still IMGUI) it seemed to work fine. (looking for volunteers with the oodles of hours of free time to convert my mods away from IMGUI... listens to the chirping of crickets). :P
It may be a different case if people are trying to do languages not in 1.3. But if they install their own sub-font, etc - should work.
If anyone has any cases where it does not work give me a shout.

6 hours ago, DMagic said:

Thanks for the links.

I have tested this and can verify that it does work.  I performed this testing before I got too far into localization as all my screens are onGUI and scripted.

Also, note that ConnectedLivingSpace is also localized now.

On 5/28/2017 at 9:50 PM, Deltathiago98 said:

Hi, I opened a post if anybody wants help with the Spanish translation!!! I will be updating the post every time I translate a mod, but I will only translate a mod if the Mod Author give me permission :wink: 

You have my permission (and my thanks!) to translate Ship Manifest and Connected Living Space.  Please PM me with anything you might need.  Links to the localization files are here:

SM : https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/ShipManifest/blob/master/ShipManifest/Distribution/GameData/ShipManifest/Localization/ShipManifest.cfg

CLS: https://github.com/codepoetpbowden/ConnectedLivingSpace/blob/master/plugins/ConnectedLivingSpace/Distribution/GameData/ConnectedLivingSpace/Localization/ConnectedLivingSpace.cfg

Via con Dios!

Heya!

I prepared a German Localization for DMagic's SCANsat and would like to participate a bit more, luckily I found this thread^^

Is anyone already doing a German translation on Ship Manifest?

I started one and am already 2/3 through, might finish it later that day.

Is it generally better for you guys, if I just link you the forked Github stuff, or is it better to throw around pull requests? I'm very new to using github's functions^^

Cheers!

Thanks DMagic for organizing this!

I have a follow-up question to some of the early discussion about where to put localization tags and what to call them. What's the best way to localize config files that ship separately from the mod itself, given that some files may be provided by a third party and the main mod won't know about them? Should config-writers put a file in Localization/ for each standalone config (or set of configs), or would it be better to include the tags at the top/bottom of the config file that uses them?

I just finished the German localization on ShipManifest, phew, tough cracker^^

ToolTips Tab Tool Tips really hit me hard :D

https://github.com/h0yer/ShipManifest/blob/master/ShipManifest/Distribution/GameData/ShipManifest/Localization/ShipManifest.cfg

Needs spellchecking, proofreading by native German scientists and dummies and the obligatory replacing of most of the line-break-backslash-n-doodads.

Have funz!

Edited by h0yer

Uhm, I might be late with asking this, but it seems there are no real signs of an actual German localization of the KSP-core. I only found an external translation project that is a bit older.

Is Squad still working on one or is none intended at all?

Not that I'm making theese and they can't be used anywhere^^

(I still use KSP1.2.2 because RealismOverhaul^^)

@h0yer As far as I know Squad is still adding more languages. They initially said 9, I think, and I would guess German is among those, along with, probably French and Portuguese.

Setting German as your language for KSP should be simple, it reads the language from the BuildID files, so you would just have to set the language line to "de", or whatever language you want. Or, if someone makes a German KSP translation, they could include a simple mod to change the language like the one shown here:

Has anyone been able to get the Agents.cfg to work for a custom mod? I have defined a Localization file, added "title" fields and set the #autoLOC_ fields for my custom values but it will not show up in the manufacturers tab anymore.

This was working of course pre-1.3, only extras are the Localization fields.

Regards,

Hi.

I just finished the spanish localization on Ship Manifest by @Papa_Joe,  Tarsier Space Technology by @JPLRepo  and  Deep Freeze by @JPLRepo .

All of this is in each corresponding github. "Pull Request"

Cheers!

Edit: I forgot it too KSP_Contract_Window by @DMagic

Added complete spanish : Kerbal Planetary Base Systems  by @Nils277

Edited by fitiales

Hello,

I translated Contracts Window + [8.0] to Polish and uploaded it today onto spacedock site.

However this translation needs our base Polish localization to work properly for now. I'm thinking how we should deal with this kind of problem.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:47 AM, gomker said:

Has anyone been able to get the Agents.cfg to work for a custom mod? I have defined a Localization file, added "title" fields and set the #autoLOC_ fields for my custom values but it will not show up in the manufacturers tab anymore.

I think I have it set up correctly in my airstairs mod -- both agents and part cfg files are localization-ready; filtering by manufacturer in editor works -- take a look at my cfgs, see if that helps you out.

@Moskit Releasing entire duplicate mods for each translation is probably not a good idea. Nevermind, I see that it's just the localization files. Still, pull requests are the best way to get those integrated into the mod.

I would recommend getting together with @Olympic1 

That project already has a few languages in progress and a method for switching to non-stock languages.

Edited by DMagic

My mods are all localized using the stock KSP library only, however in ElectricLights, I could use some help confirming I chose the right context of the word "Requires:".  It's listed in 4 separate entries in the English library, and I'm assuming that in other languages there are different versions for different context.  I have no way of determining which is which.

6 hours ago, Alshain said:

I could use some help confirming I chose the right context of the word "Requires:".  It's listed in 4 separate entries in the English library, and I'm assuming that in other languages there are different versions for different context.  I have no way of determining which is which.

Here you go:

#autoLOC_217936 = <b>Thruster Power: </b><<1>>\n
#autoLOC_217937 = <b>Thruster Isp: </b><<1>> (ASL) - <<2>> (Vac)\n
#autoLOC_217939 = \n<color=#99ff00ff><b>Requires:</b></color>\n

Label for fuel consumption; probably ModuleEngines.GetInfo()
Translations:
ES: requires
JA: fuel consumption
RU: consumption
ZH: consumption

2/3

#autoLOC_244332 = Requires:
#autoLOC_244333 = Outputs:
#autoLOC_244335 = Requires:
#autoLOC_244339 = Outputs:

Input (consumption) rates, probably BaseConverter and ModuleResourceConverter
Translations:
JA: requirements (lit: necessary conditions)
RU: requires
ZH: consumption

#autoLOC_469075 = Requires Any:
#autoLOC_469079 = Requires All:
#autoLOC_469084 = Requires:
#autoLOC_469091 = Requires Nothing:
#autoLOC_469120 = Research [<<1>>]
#autoLOC_469953 = Researched

Probably the tech tree GUI?
Translations:
JA: requirements (lit: necessary conditions)
RU: requires study [ 469075: Requires study of one technology ]
ZH: requirements

General tips for future:
- inspect surrounding context in the dictionary file, look at what other nearby strings are
- look at other language dictionary files, even if you don't read that language, it helps to try running the strings through google translate

Edited by cakepie

Updated localization status for AirlockPlus: complete Spanish, Chinese and Japanese; partial Russian. New link to localization resources now that project is on github.

Airlock Plus - [Russian] [Spanish] [Chinese] [Japanese]

Airlock Plus - 8 lines; ~25-30 words - all stock-supported languages done! Other languages welcome.

Edit: Russian done, thanks to @KerbOrbiter

Edited by cakepie