Jeorge

That's a nice looking rocket you have there! I hope you're not planning to use all of that as a single part though, for a few different reasons.

The first one is obviously - people will want to use the separate components as part of their own rocket designs. Especially the bottom section with the landing legs and engine mounts, since that's the coolest part of the rocket. Having that, and the interstage (the part where the upper stage motor goes) as separate parts also makes it easier for other modders to make different sized fuel tanks to go in the middle (in fact, you could do it with Procedural Fuel Tanks most likely). 

The second is aerodynamics. A single part has a single aerodynamic center, which means strakes modeled into the base part don't really do anything. The strakes being separate means they'll actually be working aerodynamic surfaces, and really will provide the stability you want. (Also, the older concept art didn't have them, and this will let people discover *why* they were added...)

The third is engine control - the boostback and landing burns shown in the promotional material are done on one engine, and it's a lot easier to set that up if you give the rocket seven separate engines rather than one single engine with multiple nozzles. You *could* code it for a mode switch so that you can switch the outer engines off, but why do that when you can provide the engines as separate parts and let players use the game's normal controls, *and* let players play around with the engines in other applications too? :)

Anyway, thank you for attempting this, and I look forward to blowi.... errm I mean, flying it!

Edited by Winchester

The landing gear is already available via Kerbal Reusability Expansion, btw.

As for scale... I'd suggest aiming for 3.75 meter diameter. That will scale nicely in comparison to other mod packs, and will allow you to make the BE-4 at a 1.25 meter scale.

And I'll second Winchester's recommendation for separate parts.

6 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

The landing gear is already available via Kerbal Reusability Expansion, btw.

As for scale... I'd suggest aiming for 3.75 meter diameter. That will scale nicely in comparison to other mod packs, and will allow you to make the BE-4 at a 1.25 meter scale.

And I'll second Winchester's recommendation for separate parts.

To use existing landing gear, he'd have to design specifically for those parts, and I don't think he did that, so he's probably going to have to make his own.

Also, I would *not* try to rescale the rocket before getting it built and working at its true size in RO or RSS, because it's way more complicated than just scaling it down to 50%. A half-scale New Glenn might not even make it out of Kerbin's atmosphere without serious tweaking of the engine performance, because it would have 12.5% of the delta-V of the full scale rocket at the same specific impulse. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jeorge said:

Py7yvdd.png

I kinda "sucessfully" imported it with a wacky stock copy .cfg phew:sticktongue: It's really hard as info about modding is all over the place. As you may notice it is BIG. It might be bigger than I anticipated. I compared it to NecroBones SpaceY 7.5 tanks and it's bigger than them. I'm having scale issues which I have to fix and I have to learn writing cfg's.:D

Small hint:

I think you modelled these 1:1 right?

If so, you can simply go ahead and put them in game, and in the cfg, you set rescaleFactor to a value. So, if these are 12m in dia in original size, and you want them to be 7.5m: 7.5/12 = 0.625

So then, in the cfg, you write "rescaleFactor = 0.625", and if it says only scale = .. in there too, just leave it, it's not important. :)

Looks very promising btw

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

1 hour ago, Jeorge said:

I modeled this 7m diameter in 3ds max but it appears much larger. I have scale = 1.0 and rescaleFactor = 1.0 To be fair the I haven't played around with other entries in the .cfg so the nodes are messed up.  I eyeballed it using procedural parts and it looks like it's more than 12m. Might be the fbx exporter? I'll try to re-export it.

Edit: Nope. It's still large :D

Check the scale in unity as well, sometimes mines change of their own accord.

Looking good though!

One thing you can do is place a empty transform where you want a node in Unity with the blue arrow pointing in the attach direction and in the config file use

NODE
{
   name = Top  // Your name for the node
   transform = StackTop  // Node name in Unity
   size = 3
   method = FIXED_JOINT  // Always FIXED_JOINT
}

Makes placing nodes much easier

33 minutes ago, Jeorge said:

I still haven't figured out the scale issue guys:D but I'm working on it.

It has to be because of how your 3D modeling software of choice is exporting the models. The reason I say this is because if you modeled your tank to be 7 meters in diameter, exported the model from Unity with a scale of 1,1,1 and set the Scale = and rescaleFactor = to 1 in the .cfg file, then the model should be exactly 7 meters in diameter in the game.

I have not used 3ds max, so I don't know the export settings, but I can not think of any other reason as to why your model(s) come out all whacky in size other than it being caused the the 3ds max exporter.

EDIT: Btw, did you apply the scale to your model(s) in 3ds max? I have no clue how to do it in 3ds max, but in Blender it is Ctrl+A to apply location and/or rotation and/or scale.

Edited by liquidhype

1 hour ago, liquidhype said:

It has to be because of how your 3D modeling software of choice is exporting the models. The reason I say this is because if you modeled your tank to be 7 meters in diameter, exported the model from Unity with a scale of 1,1,1 and set the Scale = and rescaleFactor = to 1 in the .cfg file, then the model should be exactly 7 meters in diameter in the game.

I have not used 3ds max, so I don't know the export settings, but I can not think of any other reason as to why your model(s) come out all whacky in size other than it being caused the the 3ds max exporter.

EDIT: Btw, did you apply the scale to your model(s) in 3ds max? I have no clue how to do it in 3ds max, but in Blender it is Ctrl+A to apply location and/or rotation and/or scale.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I did reset xform, if that's what you're asking all of them are on 100% scale, 0's on transform and rotation. I'm going to post my problem w/ screenshots and fbx file in the modelling and texturing subsection later. It appears my model's scale is doubled on unity but not on 3ds max and blender. I can just rescale on unity using .5 rescale but I think that's a band-aid solution. I'm having an itch to know the reason lol.

If that is the case, then there must be one setting in the exporter which makes the model twice its original size. Out of curiosity, which units of measurement does 3ds max have? Can you select metric or imperial units, or does it just use abstract numbers?. I don't know if that could maybe have any effect on how exported models turn out in max. If you can select metric, then do that and verify that the model is indeed 7 meters wide. If it is, then that would pretty much narrow it down to the exporter being the cause of the issue.

I agree with you, knowing that the models exports at 2x its normal size, the simple solution would to just rescale it by half. But now I feel invested and want to know the reason as well :P

9 minutes ago, liquidhype said:

If that is the case, then there must be one setting in the exporter which makes the model twice its original size. Out of curiosity, which units of measurement does 3ds max have? Can you select metric or imperial units, or does it just use abstract numbers?. I don't know if that could maybe have any effect on how exported models turn out in max. If you can select metric, then do that and verify that the model is indeed 7 meters wide. If it is, then that would pretty much narrow it down to the exporter being the cause of the issue.

I agree with you, knowing that the models exports at 2x its normal size, the simple solution would to just rescale it by half. But now I feel invested and want to know the reason as well :P

I have my units set to meters and my export unit set to meters. It happened on unity using an obj file as well. I reimported the fbx in 3ds max and it scaled fine. I even downloaded blender and imported it there and it scales fine. I posted the problem and .fbx here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.