Recommended Posts

Just an update. I'll try to iron out any issue with this model so that I can learn how things go and finish the other "static" models. I'm a little bit off with the attachment nodes. I still don't know how Max > Unity > KSP handle rotation. What faces what. Also I'm having trouble with jagged shadows and weird highlighting I don't know if that's a ksp issue or it's from me. I'll work on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeorge said:

I still don't know how Max > Unity > KSP handle rotation. What faces what.

Don't worry, it's black magic and not meant to be understood.

Post some pics of the shadows and highlighting, there are a lot of people here who have likely seen the same artifacts before and will be able to tell you what is causing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dboi88 said:

Don't worry, it's black magic and not meant to be understood.

Post some pics of the shadows and highlighting, there are a lot of people here who have likely seen the same artifacts before and will be able to tell you what is causing them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's an issue with the faces being smoothed, try importing it without any smoothed edges and see if it's still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I think it's an issue with the faces being smoothed, try importing it without any smoothed edges and see if it's still there.

I just tried and it's still there. It might be an issue with the normal map

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeorge said:

I just tried and it's still there. It might be an issue with the normal map

That was going to be my next guess. Are you creating from grayscale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dboi88 said:

That was going to be my next guess. Are you creating from grayscale?

Nope. it's a proper normal map projected from a high resolution mesh using Substance painter. I don't see this issue in unity though. Just to add, my texture is in tga at the moment. I'll try changing graphical settings inside ksp 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeorge said:

Nope. it's a proper normal map projected from a high resolution mesh using Substance painter. I don't see this issue in unity though. Just to add, my texture is in tga at the moment. I'll try changing graphical settings inside ksp 

Ok i've only ever drawn mine myself. One issue i've always had with any normal map is having the diffuse and normal in different file formats, KSP doesn't like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've confirmed it. It is a normal map issue. It was gone when I removed it. Might be a mismatch from the unity 5 export preset in substance painter. There are many kinds of normal map.

Edit:Fixed it. It was a texture import issue inside unity.

Edited by Jeorge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeorge said:

I've confirmed it. It is a normal map issue. It was gone when I removed it. Might be a mismatch from the unity 5 export preset in substance painter. There are many kinds of normal map.

Edit:Fixed it. It was a texture import issue inside unity.

You didn't tell Unity it was a Normal map? It's good that you're making them as proper normal maps outside Unity - exporting via part tools using the 'convert from grayscale' option can cause issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

You didn't tell Unity it was a Normal map? It's good that you're making them as proper normal maps outside Unity - exporting via part tools using the 'convert from grayscale' option can cause issues.

I told unity it was a normal map. I think it was an issue with compression quality, billinear/trillinear, that stuff. I haven't really pinpointed the problem because I re-imported my model and texture without touching any other setting. I learned not to touch some other settings now lol, it makes the eliminating process of problems much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple tools that may come in handy: (working link in last post)
 

 

and this:

 

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.