Booots

[1.7.x] ReCoupler Release Thread - Monocouple your bicouplers! (v1.3.3)

Recommended Posts

Ever want to use bi- or tri-couplers but want to recombine the stacks before the next stage? Ever wish you could make circular stations in the VAB without having to spam struts to keep the open end closed?

Here's the answer you've been looking for! ReCoupler works around the Vessel tree by identifying attach nodes that would have been connected but can't without a part having multiple parents or creating a circular structure. Once those nodes are identified, it hides them in the editor so that you don't accidentally connect anything else to that node. Then, in flight, it creates a structural link identical to the ones that normally hold parts together.

E5lilel.jpg

But wait! There's more! When decoupling (or explosions) happens, it detects if one of the virtual connections would continue holding the vessel together and magically makes that the real connection point as if no funny business had been happening!

XLhkxBo.png

Check out the rest of the album!

And some new building styles you can use with ReCoupler:

Interested? Get it from SpaceDock or GitHub now!

 

Known bugs:

  • Not a bug, necessarily, but it only works for stack attach nodes.

Future plans:

  • Make a decoupler that connects to 2-, 3-, or 4-engine clusters and makes their fairings work with it. Thanks Making History!
Edited by Booots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! So quickly and with CLS compability as a grand bonus! Thx for this awesomeness! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think I'd find this that useful, but I realised that was because I've disregarded the kind of builds you can do with it for so long! Very fun!

pplfgSM.png

 

And re the future plans for a decoupler that uses fairings for fake-connections, it wouldn't just be useful for engine fairings/decouplers - a few parts use different 'fairings' on multiple nodes to give choices for different visual options, which doesn't currently work:
uhSlDSV.png

EG: the missing end caps on the mini-trusses, and the rounded white corner parts on the right side are actually 6 point hubs which change depending on how many nodes are used, the yellow-highlighted one should be a 90° joiner like the topmost two are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rodger said:

I didn't think I'd find this that useful, but I realised that was because I've disregarded the kind of builds you can do with it for so long! Very fun!

And re the future plans for a decoupler that uses fairings for fake-connections, it wouldn't just be useful for engine fairings/decouplers - a few parts use different 'fairings' on multiple nodes to give choices for different visual options, which doesn't currently work:

Yeah! There's so many new building possibilities that circular structures opens up! Your pictures inspired me to post a few more design ideas people may have been ignoring all this time. Here's an album of them.

Also, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't considered that some mod parts do that. I'll look into making that work. Fortunately, they're probably open source so I won't have to do the same digging and magic I had to do to get stock aero to work. Speaking of aero, does anyone know if FAR is recognizing the faces as occluded properly?

jsvpQyG.jpgpDK4ahJ.jpg

Cool booster-merging-into-upper-stage-engine action!

eM1hzJX.jpg

Funky station design.

aWham3Q.jpg

Ring stations at long last!

9NeEc4A.jpg

Or even... multiple radial decouplers on tall booster stacks.

Edited by Booots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

This is awesome!!!!! Are you planning on putting it on to the CKAN?

It should be there already! :) (Although apparently I broke CKAN recently... but it should be getting fixed soon!)

I'm not a CKAN user myself, so I just checked the 'Add to CKAN' box on SpaceDock and hoped for the best. I have no idea what I'm doing. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Booots said:

It should be there already! :) (Although apparently I broke CKAN recently... but it should be getting fixed soon!)

I'm not a CKAN user myself, so I just checked the 'Add to CKAN' box on SpaceDock and hoped for the best. I have no idea what I'm doing. :o

Can confirm that it is on the CKAN! I'm excited to start making ring stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't tried it yet but this looks fantastic, great work @Booots

Is this currently the only mod that allows "closed-loop" vessel building?

Edited by Hofelinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hofelinger said:

Haven't tried it yet but this looks fantastic, great work @Booots

Is this currently the only mod that allows "closed-loop" vessel building?

Thanks!

As far as I know it's the only one (and therefor the best one? :P). I tried to keep it as light-weight as possible for this reason. Users can even turn off the AppLauncher button from the settings file if they find they aren't using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Booots said:

As far as I know it's the only one

If this is true you might have a very very popular mod on your hands; I'm looking forward to implementing it. The pictures explaining the mod are quite helpful. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waiting for years for this mod! Thanks a lot, keep up the great work!

P.S. Here's my attempt at making an Impact!-aimed vessel. A lander, 6 impactors and an orbiter, all in one package. Curiously, the separation didn't go quite as planned. I was planning to activate decouplers by hand, to carefully liberate the impactors one by one, after the lander is gone. But when I started to remove the upper-left tri-coupler by activating one of the three decouplers (thinking that tri-coupler will stay in its place for a while, being held by two other decouplers), then, for some reason, two whole columns of impactors have detached from the base (lower-right tri-coupler) on their own. Since I was building the vessel from top to bottom, I assume that the column I separated was the one actually holding the vessel tree together, while the other two columns were glued to the base by ReCoupler algorithm, which seemed to decide it's about time to cut the connection. Or something like that. I hope that was helpful.

 

Edited by Josh K.
Figured out how to embed images

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2017 at 3:41 AM, Josh K. said:

I've been waiting for years for this mod! Thanks a lot, keep up the great work!

P.S. Here's my attempt at making an Impact!-aimed vessel. A lander, 6 impactors and an orbiter, all in one package. Curiously, the separation didn't go quite as planned. I was planning to activate decouplers by hand, to carefully liberate the impactors one by one, after the lander is gone. But when I started to remove the upper-left tri-coupler by activating one of the three decouplers (thinking that tri-coupler will stay in its place for a while, being held by two other decouplers), then, for some reason, two whole columns of impactors have detached from the base (lower-right tri-coupler) on their own. Since I was building the vessel from top to bottom, I assume that the column I separated was the one actually holding the vessel tree together, while the other two columns were glued to the base by ReCoupler algorithm, which seemed to decide it's about time to cut the connection. Or something like that. I hope that was helpful.

Ooh, tricky! I managed to replicate this and I think I have a fix for it. Thanks for reporting it and posting a picture - that really helped find the problem. I hope it didn't screw up your mission too much.

I'm just trying to add one more fix for parts that change mesh based on nodes being attached or not (6-way walkways and the like), and I'll upload a new version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Booots said:

Ooh, tricky! I managed to replicate this and I think I have a fix for it. Thanks for reporting it and posting a picture - that really helped find the problem. I hope it didn't screw up your mission too much.

I'm just trying to add one more fix for parts that change mesh based on nodes being attached or not (6-way walkways and the like), and I'll upload a new version.

Great, looking forward to more updates!

That mission went smooth, albeit a little fragmented. Also, here's my mod list. Seems to work together with ReCoupler without any more problems (though I haven't tested all the stuff from Near Future * and other part packs yet). Also I've just discovered the development thread, so I'll post there if I find any more quirks. Thanks again.

Spoiler

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2017.03.27.08.24.57",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "recommends": [
        {
            "name": "ConfigurableContainers-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFuelTanks"
        },
        {
            "name": "ConnectedLivingSpace"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack"
        },
        {
            "name": "ColorfulFuelLines"
        },
        {
            "name": "BetterBurnTime"
        },
        {
            "name": "ColorCodedCans"
        },
        {
            "name": "CapCom"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractsWindowPlus"
        },
        {
            "name": "ProgressParser"
        },
        {
            "name": "PortraitStats"
        },
        {
            "name": "Biomatic"
        },
        {
            "name": "AutomatedScienceSampler"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerboKatzUtilities"
        },
        {
            "name": "Chatterer"
        },
        {
            "name": "BetterCrewAssignment"
        },
        {
            "name": "AT-Utils"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterCore"
        },
        {
            "name": "DecalStickers"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager"
        },
        {
            "name": "MagiCore"
        },
        {
            "name": "FMRSContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "Kopernicus"
        },
        {
            "name": "MechJeb2"
        },
        {
            "name": "SensibleScreenshot"
        },
        {
            "name": "StageRecovery"
        },
        {
            "name": "DatedQuickSaves"
        },
        {
            "name": "ShipManifest"
        },
        {
            "name": "SCANsat"
        },
        {
            "name": "ThrottleControlledAvionics"
        },
        {
            "name": "FuelTanksPlus"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularRocketSystem"
        },
        {
            "name": "TweakScale"
        },
        {
            "name": "VesselView"
        },
        {
            "name": "RasterPropMonitor"
        },
        {
            "name": "ASETProps"
        },
        {
            "name": "VesselView-UI-RasterPropMonitor"
        },
        {
            "name": "ASETAgency"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureProps"
        },
        {
            "name": "RasterPropMonitor-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "ReCoupler"
        },
        {
            "name": "B9PartSwitch"
        },
        {
            "name": "EditorExtensionsRedux"
        },
        {
            "name": "MK12PodIVAReplacementbyASET"
        },
        {
            "name": "MK12PodIVAReplacementbyASET2"
        },
        {
            "name": "Mk1LanderCanIVAReplbyASET"
        },
        {
            "name": "DockingPortAlignmentIndicator"
        },
        {
            "name": "ASETAvionics"
        },
        {
            "name": "DistantObject"
        },
        {
            "name": "DistantObject-default"
        },
        {
            "name": "InFlightFlagSwitcher"
        },
        {
            "name": "QuickGoTo"
        },
        {
            "name": "WaterSounds"
        },
        {
            "name": "WaypointManager"
        },
        {
            "name": "AlternateResourcePanel"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock"
        },
        {
            "name": "TransferWindowPlanner"
        },
        {
            "name": "TriggerAu-Flags"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavBallAdjustor"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalImprovedSaveSystem"
        },
        {
            "name": "LightsOut"
        },
        {
            "name": "surfacelights"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalJointReinforcement"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalKrashSystem"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalKonstructs"
        },
        {
            "name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux"
        },
        {
            "name": "RealChute"
        },
        {
            "name": "SafeChute"
        },
        {
            "name": "ExtensiveEngRptContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "ShipSectionsContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureConstruction"
        },
        {
            "name": "PreciseManeuver"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine-Config-Default"
        },
        {
            "name": "SmokeScreen"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterResourcesConfig"
        },
        {
            "name": "EngineLighting"
        },
        {
            "name": "NEBULADecalsContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "xScience"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityTechTree"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar-Core"
        },
        {
            "name": "StationPartsExpansion"
        },
        {
            "name": "VesselView-UI-Toolbar"
        },
        {
            "name": "PartCommanderCont"
        },
        {
            "name": "RealPlume"
        },
        {
            "name": "RealPlume-StockConfigs"
        },
        {
            "name": "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"
        },
        {
            "name": "SVE-HighResolution"
        },
        {
            "name": "SVE-Sunflare"
        },
        {
            "name": "Scatterer"
        },
        {
            "name": "SVE-Scatterer-Config"
        },
        {
            "name": "FilterExtensions"
        },
        {
            "name": "FilterExtensionsDefaultConfig"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSP-AVC"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar"
        },
        {
            "name": "TextureReplacer"
        },
        {
            "name": "HideEmptyTechNodes"
        },
        {
            "name": "FinalFrontier"
        },
        {
            "name": "AtmosphereAutopilot"
        },
        {
            "name": "FlagRotateCont"
        },
        {
            "name": "TakeCommandContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "ManeuverNodeEvolved"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSpacecraft"
        },
        {
            "name": "PersistentRotation"
        },
        {
            "name": "DangerAlertsContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "Trajectories"
        },
        {
            "name": "LCDLaunchCountDown"
        },
        {
            "name": "IndicatorLights"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbnetController"
        },
        {
            "name": "Impact"
        },
        {
            "name": "FogOfTech"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFlightIntegrator"
        },
        {
            "name": "FlightPlan"
        },
        {
            "name": "SpaceXLegs"
        },
        {
            "name": "KVVContinued"
        },
        {
            "name": "EVAParachutes"
        },
        {
            "name": "DestructionEffects"
        },
        {
            "name": "ShipEffects"
        },
        {
            "name": "AllYAll"
        },
        {
            "name": "VaporVent"
        },
        {
            "name": "BAMCont"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityCategoryKit"
        },
        {
            "name": "CraftHistory"
        },
        {
            "name": "ExperimentTracker"
        },
        {
            "name": "SnapDock"
        },
        {
            "name": "QuickMute"
        }
    ]
}

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Josh K. said:

Great, looking forward to more updates!

And you've got one! This version should fix that for you. I'm glad you mission succeeded anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should be stock.

This is one of the very first things that I thought to myself, hmm....that's an annoying limitation.....

You deserve a medal!

Edited by Errol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100% agree this should be stock - thanks so much for this!

One question - the mod comes packaged with Connected Living Spaces...is that essential for Recoupler to function? Just trying to keep the mod list from growing exponentially haha.

 

Thanks again :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally awesome mod.

However, it has some problems when RoverDude's MKS mod installed (seems that its' part - ConfigurableContainers affect smth. there) - all tanks have no fuel in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Goody1981 said:

100% agree this should be stock - thanks so much for this!

One question - the mod comes packaged with Connected Living Spaces...is that essential for Recoupler to function? Just trying to keep the mod list from growing exponentially haha.

No,  and in fact I'm not even bundling all of CLS. What is there is a custom-compiled version that has an updated API that I needed to provide CLS compatibility. If you don't use CLS, you're fine to just delete it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Horus said:

Totally awesome mod.

However, it has some problems when RoverDude's MKS mod installed (seems that its' part - ConfigurableContainers affect smth. there) - all tanks have no fuel in them.

I'm running MKS and ReCoupler in my save with no problems and seeing as ReCoupler doesn't touch any part files, I seriously doubt that it's what's causing your problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

I'm running MKS and ReCoupler in my save with no problems and seeing as ReCoupler doesn't touch any part files, I seriously doubt that it's what's causing your problems

You might be right. That ConfigurableContainers library was an outdated one. Not reproduced with recent version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Booots said:

No,  and in fact I'm not even bundling all of CLS. What is there is a custom-compiled version that has an updated API that I needed to provide CLS compatibility. If you don't use CLS, you're fine to just delete it.

Fantastic ...thanks so much for the quick reply :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another update! My to-do list now has only: make a nicer icon. So if you have suggestions, please let me know!

1.2.0:
 * Added support for Blizzy's Toolbar.
 * Fixed crossfeed not showing up in the editor.
 * Refactored to increase robustness and remove the need for a VesselModule.
 * All identifying of ReCoupler joints is done in the editor, eliminating the possibility of unwanted joints generating in flight.
 * All saving of ReCoupler joints is handled natively by KSP through sneaky trickery.
 * Bug fixes and efficiency improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.