[1.12.x] KerbalHotSeat Continued

linuxgurugamer

Continuing this wonderful little mod by @codepoet, original thread here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/63722-0242-kerbalhotseat-v1030-11th-august-2014/Introduction

Maybe he has ants in this pants, or maybe they did not install that new comfy seat in the pod that he asked for, but for some reason Jeb just can't sit still. Given the opportunity he keeps getting out of his seat and moving around his spaceship, swapping seats with Bill and Bob, moving to the other pod etc etc.

With this mod installed your kerbals will occasionally move seats to other seats in the craft. Because this mod uses ConnectedLivingSpace they will only move between seats in the same Living Space.

Download:  https://spacedock.info/mod/1272

Source Code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KerbalHotSeat

License

80x15.png

KerbalHotSeat is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

TODO

• Configurable time delay, right now it is set to 300 seconds
  • Add a "return to assigned seats" button
  • Add a "Shuffle seats" button

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Couple of questions:

1. Kerbals only move in case of free seats on the craft?
  2. Can player manually activate this seat switching, especially in IVA (for better view from another window)?
  3. Can player somehow control rate of this switching because, for example, I dont want my kerbals leave pilot seats right after liftoff :D:confused:
Edited by ZobrAA

7 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

Couple of questions:

1. Kerbals only move in case of free seats on the craft?
  2. Can player manually activate this seat switching, especially in IVA (for better view from another window)?
  3. Caт player somehow control rate of this switching becаuse, for example, I dont want my kerbals leave pilot seats right after liftoff :D:confused:

Quoting from the old thread:

Currently it is an all or nothing effect. However, it won't swap people around during (or for a little while after) manoeuvres, and only within a Connected Living Space, so it isn't that disruptive to the job at hand of actually flying your ship.

They will only move around if the craft they are in is in orbital, a sub-orbital trajectory, or on an escape trajectory. If they are on the pad, in flight through the atmosphere, spashed down or landed then they will sit tight. They will also not move until at least 10 minutes since the last burn, and they will not have more than one movement in a ten minute period.

So they ought to stay where they are during launch and landing, but once they are in orbit they can start moving about. 

This mod - KerbalHotSeat does not have a GUI. If you leave your craft alone for a while without using the engines or RCS for a while then the kerbals might swap seats or move about. I think it is reasonable for this to happen every ten minutes or so, but it will not happen for a while after a burn, as your kerbals will still be strapped in.

I'll put together a todo list in the OP, take alook at it in about 10 min

2 hours ago, Alex_Bublick said:

Guys, PLEASE, Make the moving (floating) through the ship real! Like Enchanced IVA!!!

Creates a new account for only the most trivial of requests....

Anyway, two questions for you @linuxgurugamer:

Do you have a Patreon?

And can you make it so that kerbals optionally do not swap with each other, only with open seats? Then you could add a single right-click menu button to command pods to add or remove seats from the pool of swap allowed seats (like an allow/disallow toggle), which would let the player customize the behavior as they desire. If you wanted a pilot to stay in the pilot's seat you could just place him there and disallow that seat from the pool. Also, could swapping while landed be made optional (relevant for bases)?

Edited by Errol

Just now, Errol said:

Creates a new account for only the most trivial of requests....

Anyway, two questions for you @linuxgurugamer:

Do you have a Patreon?

And can you make it so that kerbals do not swap with each other, only with open seats? Then you could add a single right-click menu button to command pods to add or remove seats from the pool of swap allowed seats (like an allow/disallow toggle), which would let the player customize the behavior as they desire. Also, could swapping while landed be made optional (relevant for bases)?

Patreon here:   https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Re the other, I've added it as an issue on Github

On 26.03.2017 at 6:06 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Not going to happen.  Interiors are not meant for floating in (in the game).  Only from viewing.  No colliders, etc.

Have you heard about Enchanced IVA? I would use this mode if they was updating it for ksp 1.2.x.
I mean Enchanced IVA was the mod that allow you to move through the ship.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer I have a suggestion for this mod: I think you should add a fasten seatbelt toggle to the mod so that you can toggle Kerbals movement through the craft as you fly. Just to add a bit more realism and because frankly, the more I want to simulate realism in my games with my airliners, the more I desire a fasten your seatbelts switch.

4069.jpg                     Just a thought! Good mod!

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

*Poke* Heya Linux, Ill assume your probably busy with more popular mods and, well, life.... Eh. Oh yeah, I'll be seeing if 1.4.2 is ok with this thingy.

When you want to ping someone, it works better when you put at @ symbol in front of their username. Like this:

@linuxgurugamer

• 10 months later...

@linuxgurugamer ̶D̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶.̶6̶.̶1̶.̶.̶.̶.̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶s̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶p̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶s̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶g̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶C̶L̶S̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶l̶u̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶.̶ ̶

EDIT: So I had watched my game after circulating orbit (in case cheating to orbit would might mess with hotseat) for about 5 minutes straight while having a puff....and then decided to leave this post here. I left the game running while writing the post; and literally within seconds of switching back to KSP Jeb jumped over into the left hand seat of the Kerbal X I had launched about 20 minutes ago! To get a better view out the window, no doubt. 

TLDR: seems to be working fine in stock KSP 1.6.1, will let you know if I run into any trouble with my ~200 mod install. 

Edited by Errol

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Any chance of a revival @linuxgurugamer? This is quite nice for a bit of flavour. If this gets revived again, could it include features like keeping scientists from moving out of labs, pilots out of pods, and maybe individual kerbals from moving from a lander or something.

Now that Connected Living Space is available (wasn't aware) I can rebuild it for 1.8/1.9

No, I'm not adding features to it, sorry.

16 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Any chance of a revival @linuxgurugamer? This is quite nice for a bit of flavour. If this gets revived again, could it include features like keeping scientists from moving out of labs, pilots out of pods, and maybe individual kerbals from moving from a lander or something.

@linuxgurugamer I saw this comment and thought of a variation or maybe a different mod.  Call it "Duty Stations" to simulate a work day. Have a Kerbal spend a user defined amount of time per day in a random part that need their specialization, their time off could be anywhere preferably parts without a required specialty, i.e. hab space.  Ideally if you want a fully staffed science lab you have to have enough hab space and extra scientists for them to rotate in and out as their duty cycles dictate.. Mod support would task scientists for parts like USI-LS greenhouses or engineers for various workshops. Pilots would default to command modules just to give them someplace to be.

Edited by Tonka Crash

30 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@linuxgurugamer I saw this comment and thought of a variation or maybe a different mod.  Call it "Duty Stations" to simulate a work day. Have a Kerbal spend a user defined amount of time per day in a random part that need their specialization, their time off could be anywhere preferably parts without a required specialty, i.e. hab space.  Ideally if you want a fully staffed science lab you have to have enough hab space and extra scientists for them to rotate in and out as their duty cycles dictate.. Mod support would task scientists for parts like USI-LS greenhouses or engineers for various workshops. Pilots would default to command modules just to give them someplace to be.

Sounds like a great idea for someone else to do.

Not really interested in doing this.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.