Make your own Atmospheres for KSP (automatically)

On 11/24/2020 at 3:14 AM, ffx said:

Ohino bob, how to exten the temperature curve and the temperature Sun Multi curve

You just have to add more keys/values.  You can make the curve do whatever you want it to do.  I don't know what else to tell you unless you give me some specific example of the issue you are dealing with.

And linuxgurugamer is correct, I never saw your post.  If you want to get someone's attention you need to ping them so they get a notification.  Just type @ followed by the person name.

• 4 months later...

Update!

KSPatmoCalculator v2.0.0 is now availble.  This is a complete rewrite of the previous version.  You should find it much simpler and easier to use.

Edited by OhioBob

• 5 months later...

@OhioBob  Thank you for this elegant & easy to use & adapt revision 2.0.5!

One question from the tidally "Locked" planet sheet--just to make sure I have not missed something significant:  looking at the Sigma Heat Shifter's github page, my understanding is that I do not need to make some type of  additional config specifically for "Sigma Heat Shifter" (i.e. that it adjusts things based on the curve keys data provided in a given planet .cfg [e.g. designed in your worksheet then pasted into the .cfg])...is my understanding correct?

While using v2.0.5, I found I needed to remind myself about KSP & inclination/axial tilt from your in depth discussion post on modeling atmospheres, so I have pasted an excerpt here in case anyone else also finds the reminder/clarification helpful:  

On 6/28/2016 at 5:20 PM, OhioBob said:

Seasonal Variation

In KSP, all planets and moons are oriented so that their rotational axes are normal to the ecliptic plane.  The ecliptic is the reference plane having zero inclination.  This situation is different from real life, where the axes can all be tilted by different amounts and in different directions.  It’s possible that KSP may change in the future to enable more realistic tilts, but for now it is not allowed.

Because of this orientation, the inclination of a planet’s equator to its orbit is equal to the inclination of the orbit to the ecliptic (see figure below).  Note, it is by inclining the orbit that the mod Real Solar System is able to simulate Earth’s axial tilt.

RE:

On 3/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, OhioBob said:

KSPatmoCalculator v2.0.x is now available.  This is a complete rewrite of the previous version.  You should find it much simpler and easier to use.

& from the updated OP: "Everything is now combined into a single spreadsheet that should be much easier to use and understand.  The input sheets are arranged in simple step by step question and answer formats.  The new spreadsheet is also much more stable than the pervious version and less prone to errors and failures."

Edited by AloE

4 hours ago, AloE said:

One question from the tidally "Locked" planet sheet--just to make sure I have not missed something significant:  looking at the Sigma Heat Shifter's github page, my understanding is that I do not need to make some type of  additional config specifically for "Sigma Heat Shifter" (i.e. that it adjusts things based on the curve keys data provided in a given planet .cfg [e.g. designed in your worksheet then pasted into the .cfg])...is my understanding correct?

Correct, there is no special HeatShifter config required.  The only thing that must be added is the line "maxTempAngleOffset = 0" inside the Atmosphere node of the planet's config.  My spreadsheet already adds this, so as long as you copy and paste from my spreadsheet to your config, you should be good.

In fact, the offset angle can be anything you want it to be.  A value of zero means that the hottest time of day occurs at noon (or at the subsolar point for a tidally locked planet).  An offset angle of 45 degrees means the hottest time of day occurs midway between noon and sunset.  (An offset of 45° is hardcoded into stock KSP.)

Edited by OhioBob

• 11 months later...

I can't get the latest version to work using Google Sheets. Something is going wrong; even with iterative calculation enabled there are div/0 errors everywhere and the config doesn't end up getting generated. I don't have access to Microsoft Excel.

Is there a known way to get it to work with Google Sheets or am I going to have to find a way to use it with Excel?

4 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

I can't get the latest version to work using Google Sheets. Something is going wrong; even with iterative calculation enabled there are div/0 errors everywhere and the config doesn't end up getting generated. I don't have access to Microsoft Excel.

Is there a known way to get it to work with Google Sheets or am I going to have to find a way to use it with Excel?

I don't know anything about Google Sheets, so I can't offer any advice about that.  As far as the div/0 errors goes, once that happens, there's no fixing it.  Typically you have to close the spreadsheet (without saving), reload it, and start over.  Perhaps redownloading the spreadsheet and starting over will fix it.  Other than that, I have no suggestions.

I just found this...

How to Open Excel Spreadsheets Without Excel (alphr.com)

Perhaps one of these options will work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 5:35 PM, GregroxMun said:

I encountered the same problem, which I ended up fixing by manually overriding the first DIV/0 cell in column D (temperature gradient) to an arbitrary value (even zero seems to work), waiting for the rest of the values to update and get rid of the errors, then undoing the change so that the original formula in that cell is restored.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.