[1.3 of KSP] [1.9.4] Suthe Planet Overhaul Mod

Tynton

[1.3] Suthe Planet Overhaul Mod [Version 1.9.4] [Updated for Kopernicus' Sunlight Patch]

yi7cpvk.jpg

This planet mod replaces the entire stock system and renames the Sun. This solar system vaguely represents the real solar system, but I've optimized it as I see fit and made this as a result.

-Cardinal markers are light-boundaries, my own form of forcing no-light boundaries upon getting closer to one than the Sun, you will no longer have access to sunlight, as for now you will need nuclear reactors and your own lights.

-The Sun (Suthe) is now a red dwarf, making for a more "orangey" tint to the solar system.

Descriptions, inward, out:

-Abpion, a scorched, but massive planet near Suthe. Its golden surfaces are not lava, although it may be tricky to tell that apart from a distance. Perhaps it is gold. (Model export bug)

-Meathe, a tidally locked semi-ocean planet. Half of its surface is always staring at Suthe while the other half is a large ice cap which perpetually stares into the outer solar system. On the day-night terminator, there are ice caps on the light side, so you may land there and establish a base with ease. (Add storms)

-Smeale, a tan-pink gas giant. It does not have large moons but it has three asteroid moons within its rings. It is conveniently close to Kerbin so as long as you can reach the asteroids there, it would be relatively easy to plot large operations in the inner solar system.

-Talia, a blue-green continental world. It has mostly oceanic regions, although several massive continents separate the oceans. In addition the KSC is situated on several islands above the equator, so plot missions carefully when launching! In addition Kerbin has a moon, Laythe, which is a grey moon with its own oceans, continents and ice caps.

-Athode, a purple-pink planet with many small craters and an overall rough surface. It has one ice moon, Ike, with its own craters.

-Asford, a semi-ice and semi-ocean world. It has relatively few clouds as its surface is cold, but not cold enough that the atmosphere will freeze onto its surface. Also, it has one moon, Risian, with no atmosphere and cracks lining its surface.

-Asteroid Belt, contained with it are four major objects. Moho, a large, hilly, and cratered world. Also in this belt is Gilly and its moon Kitt, both of which are asteroids. Finally, Dres, now a darkened rock with several craters of which are blackened. It's previously anticipated that these craters must be a way of entry to Dres' core.

-Kropus, a large tan gas giant. It has two moons, Mun and Eve. The Mun is a dark grey and red planet. Above it is Eve, a green planet with few continents but a large ocean and is a planet which is expected to feature vast amounts of life on its surface on varying degrees from plants to large wild animals (of which isn't possible in KSP, but roleplay as you ease).

-Sermanius, an ice planet between Jool and the next planet, Trobus. This is likely an ice belt, between these two planets. It is likely a large ice world could have developed given Trobus and Jool didn't, first. Vall has three moons, two of which are asteroids and the larger, Karthis, is a dwarf object with cracks dotting its surface.

-Trobus, a large ice giant, has two moons of its own, with one having its own moons. The first moon is Kleas, a cratered ice moon with a special impression on its surface. The second moon is Rothian, a certainly unique pink-white-blue gas world. It is unknown what material lies in its atmosphere, or perhaps could life be present on it? Both of its moons are Ulston, an ice planet with a thick haze making the surface invisible (with EVE), and Loade, a bright copper planet with an ice sheet covering its surface.

-Outer Objects, these objects are anywhere from dwarf planet Eeloo and Minmus to comets such as Bop or Pol. None of these stock planets have been changed from their original forms but they're likely going to be dark in the future, so it'd be a unique context nonetheless. I may try tossing some extra planets into this area though, given anyone wants one or a few.

Credits:

-Kopernicus team, for their work makes this mod possible

-KillAshley, some code of his helped me make mine, and he has some great mods!

-Galileo, for some troubleshooting assistance and inspiring a semi-realistic style in my mod.

-The other Kopernicus planet designers for their efforts helped mine.

-Myself, so you all can download a mod as interesting as mine.

To-Do list:

-Add detailed textures to the planets, and add some extra details to some (volcanic eruptions, etc.)

-Add asteroids in the asteroid belts and comets. Also, ring asteroids in less fine rings. Finally, gas giants receive asteroid moons around their outer SOI's.

-Add compatibilities to other mods. Suggest one, and I'll try my hand at it.

-Add special clouds to Meathe and Ulston.

-Any minor bugs to fix. I'm not the best with troubleshooting higher-order problems, however.

-scatterer team for the retextured lensflare and overall mod.

-SciDefs (So far I don't have very many), so I will accept suggestions.

-Optimize current features.

Reviews/Videos:

Download:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1275/Suthe Solar System Overhaul Mod

Several warnings I would say is:

-Use 64-bit KSP, 32-bit will simply crash

-Use scatterer, the mod hasn't been optimized for stock KSP.

Edited by Tynton

• 1 month later...

@Tynton

I reinstalled it with both scatterer and EVE but it didn't load. it was stuck at the loading screen, I waited for an hour to no availI then tried it with just scatterer and again it didn't load. I waited for about thirty minutes I then tried it without scatterer. it worked almost perfectly. some of the bodies like Duna and Minmus were just black and you couldn't see anything. I think I know what the problem is with the missing textures but not the scatterer problem. This looks like a really cool planet mod so any help will be appreciated.

Edited by Magicmike

@Magicmike

I noticed this problem a lot with scatterer, it may be that I have outdated configurations for it, but even on stock scatterer I had the same issues. I'll look into it and provide a download/update.

In 1.3 it seems Ike and Vall are both broke, and only those.

Well it seems that stock scatterer works for me, but the modded configuration doesn't. I'm not sure why, it worked before - although I'm running 1.3. I'll probably have to wait for an updated scatterer for 1.3, and then I can hope it works.

Edited by Tynton

I figured out the loading problem. It was because i had RSS installed. 

so after uninstalling it, i booted up KSP and scatterer didn't work. The little menu at the start was there but the planets were incredibly laggy with no atmospheric scattering.

1.1 of Suthe Solar Overhaul mod has been released.

Currently I'm wondering about adding a skybox for it, but personally a rather dark (physically) theme, although perhaps featuring a galactic plane to encompass the skybox (as if the solar system is in, possibly the outer reaches of a galaxy, I noticed the planet mod itself fits into a dark-space theme.

Added pure-darkness for the outer objects, example:

Edited by Tynton

@JadeOfMaar Thanks for the link!

The cardinal points are "Sun" templates aren't intended to be visited, they are merely points which any object (that is closer to it than the Sun) simply become blackened, this is to achieve the effect of total darkness. If you get closer to one than the Sun, you'll also become blackened. So I don't know entirely how to transition the light into blackness like it would in reality, but for now, the cardinal points are the key to the outer planets.

I will fix the runway after it being mentioned, I ended up setting it  to a low priority.

@Gameslinx

I'll try the MapDecalTangiential for the KSC.

Also there was an "English" or generally "British" theme with some names in the Solar System (Meathe, and the province of Meath for example), and I topped it off with Great Britain being placed on Kerbin and as the home-continent (or island) in the mod. Thanks for your suggestion!

Changes in 1.4

-New Skybox (Optional), and new flags based on 3 ideologies.

-PlanetShine compatibility

-SpaceCenter fixes

-Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

Edited by Tynton

1 hour ago, Tynton said:

@Gameslinx

I'll try the MapDecalTangiential for the KSC.

Also there was an "English" or generally "British" theme with some names in the Solar System (Meathe, and the province of Meath for example), and I topped it off with Great Britain being placed on Kerbin and as the home-continent (or island) in the mod. Thanks for your suggestion!

Changes in 1.4

-New Skybox (Optional), and new flags based on 3 ideologies.

-PlanetShine compatibility

-SpaceCenter fixes

-Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

If you take a look at the bottom of Gaia.cfg in my planet mod, you can use the MapDecalTangential there if you don't already have it yourself, if that makes it easier :)

Great work on the planet mod, I'll be watching this thread from time to time :)

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Tynton You got spotted. :P So...what are the Suthe cardinal point objects for?

And @Gameslinx suggested you make use of MapDecalTangential to align the KSC properly.

I assume you also saw my small rant. I just have to call him out on stuff like that, because he just disregards months of effort because "there isn't a new star system"

Just had to get that off my chest :)

@Gameslinx

I initially had trouble getting it to work, and since I've waited a few days to release a big update, I managed to edit the SpaceCenter section of the .cfg, making the area around the KSC much larger.

Effectively, I managed to (hopefully) fix the issues brought up in the review, given that the "hill" in front of the KSC has been shrank a lot so now it's more of a ramp than anything. It's also much farther away as well.

19 minutes ago, Tynton said:

@Gameslinx

I initially had trouble getting it to work, and since I've waited a few days to release a big update, I managed to edit the SpaceCenter section of the .cfg, making the area around the KSC much larger.

Effectively, I managed to (hopefully) fix the issues brought up in the review, given that the "hill" in front of the KSC has been shrank a lot so now it's more of a ramp than anything. It's also much farther away as well.

Another thing I'd like to point out is one of the other planets. Forgive me as I forgot the name and am now on mobile writing this, but there's a heightmap with some cracks. And a few craters which show up if you google "Crater heightmap" (I use that myself :wink: )

If that sparks your memory:

The heightmap doesn't quite look like a height map. It looks like a cross between a normal map and a height map, as the cracks have shadows, or dips where they shouldn't have. Is this intended? Might just be me.

Also, you will have noticed the pinching at the poles of your planets. I used to get this, too.

You need to polarly distort your height maps using photoshop's Polar Coordinates effect. I could walk you through this, but I'm on mobile as I said before. :)

@Gameslinx

I decided to forgive the 'shadows' on the heightmaps just to make a little more interesting result, since I was using GIMP and GIMP brushes at the time, but since then I've had to reformat my computer so I don't have those brushes any longer (though I could re-download them). I also figured the polar pinching wasn't too bad but if you could find something for GIMP that does that, that would be grand :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.