Solidworks 2011?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to reinstall '05 to see if I can figure it out... I'm leaning towards "probably not."

IIRC just about every shape in SW is procedural. According to "Inside Solidworks 2003," the closest export format might be stl, which would require another package to re-export for Unity import.

Additionally, texture mapping is going to be insanely difficult, because UV mapping is not really a feature (at least in 2k5, idk about 2k11). I can't imagine textures are a priority, as SolidWorks is a CADD/CAME product and not at all a graphics program. I think Catia may have some of those capabilities for presentational graphics. Solidworks is kind of like "Catia Lite," if you can call any $8000-$20000 software package a "lite" version of a $25K-$50K one.

I (personally and based on my own experience) would not spend any time attempting to create parts in SolidWorks. I also have Max 2.5R2, and really did not much care to use that either (mostly because I cannot find my parallel port dongle o_O). I sat down and learn Blender to make parts.

Don't be embarrassed to not know. You're one of very few people in the world who knows how to use SW or even has any reason to have heard of it. That's definitely something. How it would benefit you is by giving you a leg up in following tutorials and learning an actual graphics program, designed for "digital art," because that is what games ultimately are.

You can export to .obj from 2011 using a plugin, dunno what KSP uses but .obj's are pretty much convertible to anything.

KSP uses .dae files for the meshes.

It's compatible with most popular programs.

For example the free modelling program blender but also 3ds max.

3Ds max needs a plug-in to be able to export to .dae or to import it.

I myself mostly use 3Ds max 2013 as I'm a game design student and that program is the one we mostly use and in my opinion is the easiest.

• 5 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use solidworks to make models for KSP? :-[ embarresed I don\'t know this but I really need help!

Yes you can. You can export from Solidworks your more complex model as an STL part, then import it into Blender. All you have to do then is learn to manipulate blender, but then that isn't exactly easy, either....

(to the point I just gave up and started learning blender)

Yes you can. You can export from Solidworks your more complex model as an STL part, then import it into Blender. All you have to do then is learn to manipulate blender, but then that isn't exactly easy, either....

(to the point I just gave up and started learning blender)

Thanks! now I might be able to make something

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.