[1.3.1] Tweak Scale Limited

eberkain

Tweak Scale Limited

B4d6KYi.png

I love the idea behind tweakscale and I really want to install it so I can scale infernal robotics parts, but it adds scaling to alot of things that I really dont want scaling on.  I also love Kerbal Research and Development for upgrading parts, but it blacklists anything that has a tweakscale module, making using the two together fairly pointless.  This is my attempt to build a set of configs that will solve these problems.  

The first feature I want to add is to limit what kind of parts can be scaled.  I ended up putting all parts into a couple different categories as outlined below. 

Scaling Forbidden

Scaling Allowed

Crewed Parts

Anything with crew capacity, connected living space, everything in the mk2/mk3 form factor, docking ports.

Structural Parts

fuel tanks, heat shields, wings, control surfaces, structural parts, adapters

Complex Machinery Parts

All engines, resource converters, drills

Simple Mechanical Parts

Landing Gear, wheels, landing legs, radiators, cargo bays, air intakes, decouplers, reaction wheels, RCS blisters, infernal robotics, SRBs

Complex Electronics Parts

science experiments, antenna, data transmitters, resource scanners, scansat parts, probe cores, smart parts

Simple Electrical Parts

solar panels, batteries

The second feature I wanted to add is a limiter on the scaling so that parts can only be adjusted up and down in a small range around the their default size.  I also love the 1.875 size parts in several mods and wanted to support that too.  Ultimately I decided on adding a new intermediate size between each of the stock sizes, and then allowing any part to get scaled one size bigger and two sizes smaller.   For example a 2.5m tank could get scaled down to 1.25m but not up to 5m, this way smaller parts will never supplant larger parts and all the stock sizes stay relevant instead of just becoming cosmetic choices.  

Compatibility

Since this is just some module manager patches that key off the other modules on parts it should work with most mods.  Its possible that tweakscale gets removed from something that should still have it, those situations have to be handled on a case by case basis.  I have tested it with all the following part mods and will be using this in my future career games.  

Spoiler

Vens Stock Revamp

DMagic Orbital Science

Surface Experiment Package

Cacteye Telescopes

Infernal Robotics

RLA Stockalike

Kerbal Reusability Expansion

Heat Control

Near Future Solar

Airplane Plus

Mk2 Expansion

Mk2.5 Flat Bottom Spaceplane

Mk3 Expansion

B9 Procedural Wings

Tokamak Industires

Kerbal Foundries

BDynamics

FASA Launch Clamps

Surface Lights

JX2 Antenna

Mk1 Cargo Bay

Smart Parts

Flexo Docking

NRAP

Dependencies

TweakScale

ModuleManager 

DOWNLOAD - GitHub

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0)

Edited by eberkain

v 0.2

Added scaleFactor overrides to each scale, this fixes problems with some parts having defined the scaleFactors directly inside the part config.

Added to the forbid list, docking ports, antenna, scansat parts.

Fixed a bug with parts that were 10m default, some parts use 10 and some parts use 10.0. The MM filter doesn't match them both as you think it would.

Removed the SXTBox filter I put in, totally didn't work.

I think this is a pretty good idea... is there any way that this new set of limitations could help improve compatibility with "Kerbal Research and Development"? I wish I had a stronger understanding of the blacklisting that happens between these mods, but I love TweakScale and Kerbal R&D both so much. I almost always manually black listing engines from TweakScale just so I can R&D them.

v0.3
Added an additional 0.35 scale for USI Sounding Rocket comp.
Removed the free scale from everything but the adapter types.

Not sure what else to change, other than doing some testing and seeing that it is all working.  

@FlexGunship I have tried to use KR&D a few different times and always end up dropping it from my list for one reason or another.  

@White Owl I'm on the fence about solar panels, I can see the argument either way.  As for engines, I think I'm going to start working on a new alternate set of engine configs for real fuels and part of that would be disabling scaling on engines. 

• 9 months later...

v0.4

Reworked everything with a more focused direction.

Any complex parts are forbidden from scaling so KRnD can be used instead.

Worked on a new update.    If a moderator could move this to Add-On Releases I would appreciate it.  :) 

Edited by eberkain

2 hours ago, eberkain said:

Let me know if you have problems and I'll try to fix if I can. 

This is awesome! 2 suggestions:

• Allow structural parts to scale up 2 sizes instead of just one - the number of parts available to people building big is a bit limited and this will give them more options.
  • The next size above 2.5m should be 3.75m - I'm not sure if this is true for all pieces, but the 2.5m Rockomax Brand Adaptor 2 is trying to scale up to 3.125 which is correct according to your progression, but isn't a size I've ever seen used. Above 3.75m should be 5m
Edited by Tyko

On 1/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, Tyko said:

This is awesome! 2 suggestions:

• Allow structural parts to scale up 2 sizes instead of just one - the number of parts available to people building big is a bit limited and this will give them more options.
  • The next size above 2.5m should be 3.75m - I'm not sure if this is true for all pieces, but the 2.5m Rockomax Brand Adaptor 2 is trying to scale up to 3.125 which is correct according to your progression, but isn't a size I've ever seen used. Above 3.75m should be 5m

I'm considering doing the structural parts differently so they do have a larger range, but I want to figure out a way to do it without doing them one by one.  

As for the sizing, that is working as intended. I inserted a new size between all the current sizes so that if your scaling a tank you can bump it up a bit to hold more fuel, but you cant use a smaller tank to replace a larger tank.   Adapters should have free scaling, meaning you can click the bar to weak the scale to exactly the size you need.   I added an example image to the OP.

v4.1

Fixed some issues
Allowed SRBs to scale
Special case for 0.625 SRBs to scale down very small.

Edited by eberkain

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.