Version 0.4 is out. Rooe has two new moons, Elrond and Galadriel. Mithrandir still changes from shiny to drab when you get really close ( it is still a problem ). Luune, a small, distant gas-giant is now out. It has one Moon: Manwe.

Here are some Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/95l2c

http://imgur.com/a/Ocrqu

http://imgur.com/a/m4lvv

The mod should be out on Curse in a few hours. Note that I removed Valeon, because even though the config file is working, KSP won't allow maneuvering in orbit. All the new objects were made in SpaceEngine.

Edited by UranianBlue
link error

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

Right so i don't know if @The Cuttlefish Empire has taken this for imperial, but i think I'm gonna have a go at reviving it.

Unfortunately, neither you nor @The Cuttlefish Empire nor anyone else is allowed to do anything with this mod.

The mod is licensed All Rights Reserved, meaning that only the author can modify or redistribute it.  You're allowed to download it for your own use, and you can modify it locally on your own machine... but you're not allowed to share it with anyone else, then.  No derivative works allowed-- you can't take any content from this mod and modify or redistribute it in any way.

So, until and unless the original author, @UranianBlue, decides to start maintaining the mod again, or decides to put a less-restrictive license on it... then there's not anything that anyone can do with the mod, other than download UranianBlue's most recent version from CurseForge for personal use only.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Unfortunately, neither you nor @The Cuttlefish Empire nor anyone else is allowed to do anything with this mod.

The mod is licensed All Rights Reserved, meaning that only the author can modify or redistribute it.  You're allowed to download it for your own use, and you can modify it locally on your own machine... but you're not allowed to share it with anyone else, then.  No derivative works allowed-- you can't take any content from this mod and modify or redistribute it in any way.

So, until and unless the original author, @UranianBlue, decides to start maintaining the mod again, or decides to put a less-restrictive license on it... then there's not anything that anyone can do with the mod, other than download UranianBlue's most recent version from CurseForge for personal use only.

What about @AR3S_TGL? I know him personally, he's left the project (in fact the KSP Community :p)

15 minutes ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

What about @AR3S_TGL? I know him personally, he's left the project (in fact the KSP Community :p)

The problem is, the license is "owned" by the person who posted it here, unless specifically called out otherwise.  The CurseForge page acknowledges that @AR3S_TGL contributed, but there's nothing on either the OP of this thread or on the CurseForge page that designates AR3S_TGL as having plenipotentiary authority to grant permissions or change the license.  It's the sort of thing that he and @UranianBlue really should have worked out from the start and explicitly declared... but since they didn't, our hands are tied.

Reviving this mod would require that @UranianBlue either does it himself, or that he (nobody else) changes the mod to something more permissive.

I'm really sorry about that.  :(  I know it sucks.  But this is what happens all the time when mods are produced with really restrictive ARR licenses:  sooner or later the author wanders away, and at that point the mod becomes essentially dead, unless they "hand it off" to someone else, which didn't happen in this case (it often doesn't).

There are planet packs out there with more permissive license on them-- e.g. Kerbol Origins, to take one example, is licensed MIT, which is super permissive-- but this mod, alas, is locked down and hermetically sealed.  I'm sorry, but them's the breaks.  :(

If you happen to know @AR3S_TGL personally... perhaps he has some way of getting in touch with @UranianBlue to see if something can be done?

16 minutes ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

What if one were to make a patch to fix it? Just one .cfg?

Then like anything else in the mod, you're free to edit it, locally, and use it as much as you like.  You just can't distribute your edited version to anybody else.

The good news, though, is that if it really is just a line out of a .cfg file, then you could produce a patch (with ModuleManager) that would enable things, and then distribute the patch.  Because then you're not editing or distributing the original.

Suppose the original contains config like this:

SomeKopernicusThing
{
    name = SomeNamedObject
    SomeSetting = TheWrongValue
}

...and what you need to do in order to make the mod work again is to change TheWrongValue to TheRightValue.  Well, you could just produce your own ModuleManager patch-- i.e. a brand new .cfg file that you author from scratch-- that would look something like this:

@SomeKopernicusThing[SomeNamedObject]:AFTER[NameOfFolderWhereOriginalModIsInstalled]
{
    @SomeSetting = TheRightValue
}

So, with that in hand, now the mod's usable.  However, bear in mind that you need to distribute your changes separately.  That is, what you can't do is take the original mod, add your file to the .zip, and then distribute that.  Because then you'd be distributing the original mod, which the ARR license doesn't permit.

Therefore, if you made a fix like this and wanted to distribute it so that other people could play, then your installation instructions would need to look like this:

1. Download and install Hot-Jool Mod from <UranianBlue's original CurseForge link>.
  2. Copy <this patch file> into your GameData folder somewhere.

...So that would work, as long as the original mod's download location on CurseForge stays active.  If that were to ever go down, then the mod would be dead for good.

2 minutes ago, "Our Benefactors" said:

As you can tell i'm not the best with legal things :P

Well, if it's any consolation, almost nobody is, at least not until they've gone through the mod-publishing process-- and often not even then.  ;)

It's finicky, tedious, and un-fun.  Unfortunately it's also necessary; it's not possible to avoid, and it's also not possible to just sort of hand-wave at it and not really deal with it.  Licenses have consequences.

This means that it's not only important for mod authors to choose licenses very carefully and be aware of exactly what they are and aren't allowing... but also it behooves mod users to have at least a rough idea of what they're getting into.  In particular, if you ever find yourself playing with a mod that has a restrictive license that would prevent someone other than the original author from picking it up and continuing it... be aware that you're putting all your eggs in one basket.  Specifically, be aware that you're at the mercy of the author's continued presence in the KSP forum and continued efforts to keep the mod up to date.  If the author of such a mod ever goes AWOL, then, well, this is what happens.

All too true.  There are quite a number of  mods I would like to pick up, but can't due to their license.  I've been successful in a few cases by emailing the authors, but there is no guarantee.

There' even one mod that I'm aware of where the user created an account here, posted the mod and then never came back.  He doesn't respond to any messages, which is a real shame.

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've been successful in a few cases by emailing the authors, but there is no guarantee.

Well I've emailed the author. Just hoping now that I get a response

• 10 months later...
23 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

and now it is back to being quiet UranianBlue seems to have left the forums again, if only the license wasn't so restrictive.

Yeah lmao... I still need to work on my other projects before fiddling around with this lmao

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.