[KSP 1.3.1] Stock Size Real Solar System [0.0.3.1]

Galileo

On 6/19/2017 at 2:21 PM, TheRagingIrishman said:

Because resizing planets isn't that simple. You get a lot of strange things if you just change size. This mod changes size and then fixes everything that breaks due to the size changing. Full description in the spoiler

Hide contents

Stuff in changes

• Resizes and rescales to 0.0941767383456286x 
  • Changes all orbital periods so they are still relatively correct after resizing
  • Makes sure that landscapes, atmos, day length, and soi size are still correct on a per planet basis
  • Changes time warp limits back to stock
  • Fixes pressures and temperatures
  • Fixes PQS problems
  • Fixes EVE and Scatterer affects due to the bodies size changing
  • Fixes problems with GroundScatter

I'm interested in resizing SSRSS up to 2.5x stock. Roughly quarter-size and I'm aware that there's a quarter-size RSS mod out there. I'd rather build off of @Galileo's work though. 

Can you point me in the right direction on how I'd go about modding the Sigma config to go this? If I figur it out i'll be happy to share

thanks!

40 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I'm interested in resizing SSRSS up to 2.5x stock. Roughly quarter-size and I'm aware that there's a quarter-size RSS mod out there. I'd rather build off of @Galileo's work though. 

Can you point me in the right direction on how I'd go about modding the Sigma config to go this? If I figur it out i'll be happy to share

thanks!

Hmmm, this would take some maths to figure out. I won't be able to for the next few days but perhaps @OhioBob can point you in the right direction.

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

thanks!

SSRSS isn't really made for doing what you suggest.  It does a lot more than just resize everything by some global factor.  There were a lot of planet specific changes made, some of which may not work as intended if you go and change the scale of the solar system.  If you want to give a 2.5x system a try, I recommend you start by making the following changes:

(1)  Find and open the file SSRSS_Sigma.cfg.
(2)  Search for any occurrence of @Resize and multiply the factor by 2.5.
(3)  Search for any occurrence of @Rescale and multiply the factor by 2.5.
(4)  Search for any occurrence of @atmoTopLayer and multiply the factor by 1.3.
(5)  Save the revisions.

These changes should increase all distances and sizes by 2.5x what they are in SSRSS, and increase the heights of the atmospheres by 1.3x.  However, I can't guarantee that everything else will work right.  For instance, I have no idea if the terrain will look right in proportion to the resized bodies.  If not, you may have to change all the @landscape factors.  There could also be some rotation periods messed up, and the moon might not show the correct face toward Earth.  If you need to change any of the @rotationPeriod or @initialRotation settings, these can be found in the file SSRSS_Kopernicus.cfg.  I have no idea if any of the visual enhancements will be affected because that's all Galileo's work.

Just be aware that there was a lot of tweaking and customizing that went into SSRSS to make it work at the size that it is.  Galileo and I can't predict or be responsible for what might happen when you start changing things.

Edited by OhioBob

6 hours ago, OhioBob said:

SSRSS isn't really made for doing what you suggest.  It does a lot more than just resize everything by some global factor.  There were a lot of planet specific changes made, some of which may not work as intended if you go and change the scale of the solar system.  If you want to give a 2.5x system a try, I recommend you start by making the following changes:

(1)  Find and open the file SSRSS_Sigma.cfg.
(2)  Search for any occurrence of @Resize and multiply the factor by 2.5.
(3)  Search for any occurrence of @Rescale and multiply the factor by 2.5.
(4)  Search for any occurrence of @atmoTopLayer and multiply the factor by 1.3.
(5)  Save the revisions.

These changes should increase all distances and sizes by 2.5x what they are in SSRSS, and increase the heights of the atmospheres by 1.3x.  However, I can't guarantee that everything else will work right.  For instance, I have no idea if the terrain will look right in proportion to the resized bodies.  If not, you may have to change all the @landscape factors.  There could also be some rotation periods messed up, and the moon might not show the correct face toward Earth.  If you need to change any of the @rotationPeriod or @initialRotation settings, these can be found in the file SSRSS_Kopernicus.cfg.  I have no idea if any of the visual enhancements will be affected because that's all Galileo's work.

Just be aware that there was a lot of tweaking and customizing that went into SSRSS to make it work at the size that it is.  Galileo and I can't predict or be responsible for what might happen when you start changing things.

Tried that...it did really interesting things to Earth's cloud layer...I may stick to 1x. Thanks for the advice though

Edited by Tyko

21 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Tried that...it did really interesting things to Earth's cloud layer...I may stick to 1x. Thanks for the advice though

In the sigma cfg you will have to adjust the altitude multiplier for eve clouds.

38 minutes ago, Galileo said:

In the sigma cfg you will have to adjust the altitude multiplier for eve clouds.

Yep that worked...last change I've found so far is I have to update @atmosphere too. looks like 1.3 works

Only issue now is the the KSC is partially buried by the terrain and there are hills at both ends of the runway :/ ...getting close!

sCoR9pR.png

Edited by Tyko

4 hours ago, Tyko said:

Yep that worked...last change I've found so far is I have to update @atmosphere too. looks like 1.3 works

Only issue now is the the KSC is partially buried by the terrain and there are hills at both ends of the runway :/ ...getting close!

sCoR9pR.png

That can be adjusted in the Earth cfg in RSS_Kopernicus folder at the bottom in the spacecenter {} node

The repositionRadiusOffset = x is the altitude of the KSC model (PQSCity)
and absoluteOffset = x is the altitude of the flat land underneath the KSC (MapDecal)

This is a little tricky to adjust, and will just take some playing with. Looks like you don't need to adjust it too much, maybe 20-30m or so. be sure to add the same amount to both values.

This mod is perfect but i've got a bug.
Titan is all black. Like a black hole, no clouds, no ground. I don't have scattered installed.

Any Idea ?

(sorry for my english i'am french)

[EDIT]

Problem solved.
in 2560x1080 resolution, titan bugged for me. I started the game in 1920x1080, saved, then relauched it in 2560x1080 and Titan is good :wink:

Edited by LeCorbeauQuiJoue

1 hour ago, LeCorbeauQuiJoue said:

This mod is perfect but i've got a bug.
Titan is all black. Like a black hole, no clouds, no ground. I don't have scattered installed.

Any Idea ?

(sorry for my english i'am french)

[EDIT]

Problem solved.
in 2560x1080 resolution, titan bugged for me. I started the game in 1920x1080, saved, then relauched it in 2560x1080 and Titan is good :wink:

Are you sure Titan wasn't in an eclipse? Just to make sure, so you aren't settling for a lower resolution.

12 hours ago, Tyko said:

What problem do you have with the atmospheres?

@atmosphere = 1.3 is way too high.  That is going to stretch the pressure and temperature curves out to unrealistic values.  Since you're going from a 10x RSS model down to a 2.5x model, if anything you want to compress the curves, not stretch them.  I'd recommend setting @atmosphere to somewhere in the 0.8-0.9 range for 2.5x scale, but definitely not greater than 1 in any circumstance.

If you want to change the heights of the atmospheres further, you should do it using @atmoTopLayer.  This factor either trims off the tops of the existing pressure and temperatures curves (if <1), or extrapolates them out beyond where they leave off (if >1).  The final height of the atmosphere will be the multiple of @atmosphere and @atmoTopLayer.

For example, for Earth in SSRSS we used @atmosphere = 0.8 and @atmoTopLayer = 0.625.  Earth's original pressure and temperature curves in RSS go to an altitude of 140 km.  So what these factors do is first the curves are compressed to 140*0.8 = 112 km by rescaling the altitudes and slopes.  We then trim off the top 42 km of the rescaled curves leaving us with a 70 km high atmosphere, i.e. 112*0.625 = 70 km.

Edited by OhioBob

@Tyko, something you might try doing that should make everything easier is to delete all the custom planet-specific changes.  You can then make all your changes using the global settings.  To delete the planet-specific changes, open the file SSRSS_Sigma.cfg and make the following edit:

///////////////////////////////

(delete everything between the lines above and below)

Now modify the global settings until you get what you want.  For example, you might try something like this:

@SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

@Resize = 0.25
	@Rescale = 0.25
	@Atmosphere = 0.88
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 0.5

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 2
	@geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
	@resizeBuildings = 1

@CustomSoISize = 0
	@CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
	@tempASL = 1
	@atmoTopLayer = 0.75
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 1
}

Of course you'll also need to adjust the cloud altitude multiplier, but you'll need to figure out what value to use.

Edited by OhioBob

31 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Is it recommended to install that ModularFlightIntegrator that comes with RSS?

No. Only the rss folder.

i will be updating this tonight to work with the latest scatterer.

Edited by Galileo

On 7/13/2017 at 10:29 AM, OhioBob said:

@Tyko, something you might try doing that should make everything easier is to delete all the custom planet-specific changes.  You can then make all your changes using the global settings.  To delete the planet-specific changes, open the file SSRSS_Sigma.cfg and make the following edit:

(delete everything between the lines above and below)

Now modify the global settings until you get what you want.  For example, you might try something like this:

@SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

@Resize = 0.25
	@Rescale = 0.25
	@Atmosphere = 0.88312
	@dayLengthMultiplier = 0.50149

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 2
	@geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
	@resizeBuildings = 1

@CustomSoISize = 0
	@CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
	@tempASL = 1
	@atmoTopLayer = 0.75
	@atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 1
}

Of course you'll also need to adjust the cloud altitude multiplier, but you'll need to figure out what value to use.

The settings I've come up with (below) seem to work well for the most part. Earth's terrain was highly exaggerated around KSC, so I used a custom landscape modifier for Earth to smooth things out a bit. I expect that it's off from reality, but it's a lot closer. Not sure how to get it exact without a frame of reference. I also moved the @altitude *= 4.602. This is 1.3x stock SSRSS. I pulled this number from the @OhioBob's original recommendation to increase AtmoTopLayer to 1.3x. 

Thanks for all the input. Everything in this game is a learning curve and I'm enjoying messing around with planets :) 

Here's my config file as it looks now.

Spoiler

@SigmaDimensions
{
    // Base Settings

@Resize = 0.23544184586407
    @Rescale = 0.23544184586407
    @Atmosphere = 0.88312
    @dayLengthMultiplier = 0.50149

// Advanced Settings

@landscape = 2
    @geeASLmultiplier = 1

@resizeScatter = 1
    @resizeBuildings = 1

@CustomSoISize = 0
    @CustomRingSize = 0

@atmoASL = 1
    @tempASL = 1
    @atmoTopLayer = 0.75
    @atmoVisualEffect = 1

@scanAltitude = 10.618333333333336685187222222223 
}

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
            @landscape = 1.0
            @atmoTopLayer = 0.6875
        }
    }
}

@Kronometer:FINAL
{
    %useHomeDay = true
    %useHomeYear = true
    %useLeapYears = true
}

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigmaBinary]
{
    @Body[Charon]
    {
        SigmaBinary
        {}
    }
}

@EVE_CLOUDS:FINAL
{
    @OBJECT,*
    {
        @altitude *= 4.602
    }
}

Edited by Tyko
Updated @atmosphere and @dayLengthMultiplier

2 hours ago, ioresult said:

@Tyko thanks for the work, I also wanted to get 2.5x solar system from SSRSS in my next game.

Glad to help! Just remember to disable the stock SSRSS_Sigma.cfg file. I renamed it to xxx.txt in case I ever wanted it back.

EDIT: Just updated the length of day and atmosphere heights to higher degree of accuracy

Edited by Tyko

I think I've found a conflict between SSRSS , USILS and Sigma Dimensions. Running the default SSRSS config with @dayLengthMultiplier = 0.333333333333333 days should be ~8 hours long. The USILS Life Support Status screen is calculating based on 24 hours/day. So, USILS will say I have 1 (24 hour) day of supplies, but I actually have 3 (8 hour) days of supplies.

Not sure if this is better directed to @RoverDude or @Sigma88?

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

I think I've found a conflict between SSRSS , USILS and Sigma Dimensions. Running the default SSRSS config with @dayLengthMultiplier = 0.333333333333333 days should be ~8 hours long. The USILS Life Support Status screen is calculating based on 24 hours/day. So, USILS will say I have 1 (24 hour) day of supplies, but I actually have 3 (8 hour) days of supplies.

Not sure if this is better directed to @RoverDude or @Sigma88?

the only thing that SD does regarding "days" is changing the rotationperiod of the various bodies.

I guess it all depends on how USILS defines "days"

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

the only thing that SD does regarding "days" is changing the rotationperiod of the various bodies.

I guess it all depends on how USILS defines "days"

SSRSS is built off of RSS which would have a 24 hour day. I'm guessing that there's something about RSS that's involved?

@NathanKell, is there something in RSS that's forcing USI-LS to use a 24 hour day?

On 7/14/2017 at 0:36 AM, Galileo said:

i will be updating this tonight to work with the latest scatterer.

oh, that explains a lot, I felt the latest scatterer looked a bit "flat" on SSRSS  :D  in my defence, I always disable the ocean shaders, godrays etc.

thanks for all the work on this great mod! I enjoy it a lot. And thanks in advance for the scatterer patch, last missing piece of the puzzle then (not that I was aware of it before you mentioned it, haha)

other than that, all seems to work perfect for me. I also noticed an improvement in performance over my 1.2.2 or 1.1.3 installs. Lovely. Thanks a ton. No idea what you did though, and pretty sure I always went for the same resolutions etc.

16 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@TykoI have no idea about USI. But I can tell you RSS forces the time format itself in KSP to be in 24 hour days because, well, the days are 24 hours.

Okay, that makes sense...TWP and Precise Maneuver are also "locked" at 24 hours regardless of the rotation period of Kerbin/Earth...

Can you please point me to how I could force the time format to a different length? I couldn't find the relevant code in any of the RSS configs. Thanks!

@NathanKell thanks for explaining. I had the misunderstanding that a game day could be adjusted by mods. Playing with scaling SSRSS to 2.5x was the first time I'd actually dug into mucking with time via SigmaDimensions. As I was checking the changes I was making, I noted that USI-LS, TWP and Precise Maneuver were off compared to the day as defined by a rotation of Kerbin/Earth. Going back and checking other solar system setups (Stock w/Sigma 2.5x, GPP w/Sigma 2.5x) I see that this is a consistent problem that I'd just missed before.

Maybe I was better off before when I didn't notice :D

Edited by Tyko