[KSP 1.3.1] Stock Size Real Solar System [0.0.3.1]

Galileo

23 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I absolutely forgot to include the city lights! I have uploaded v0.0.3.0 again with city lights included. I dunno how I let that slip!

No big deal, and thanks again.

BTW, extra kudos for putting the version number in the folder names. Wish all modders would do that.

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

No big deal, and thanks again.

BTW, extra kudos for putting the version number in the folder names. Wish all modders would do that.

I do that for me. I lose track of all my stuff too easily

12 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Hey @Galileo, I see a number of anomalies on Mars with the Scansat map - are those real and worth checking out, or are they a funny holdover from the stock solar system? :) 

Well unless the RSS devs made custom anomalies (they didn't), all anomalies are hold overs from the stock game. :D However, mars uses a Duna template, so it should have most, if not all, of the same anomalies. I have no idea if they will be on the surface or not since scaling is involved, but they might be worth checking out. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Well unless the RSS devs made custom anomalies (they didn't), all anomalies are hold overs from the stock game. :D However, mars uses a Duna template, so it should have most, if not all, of the same anomalies. I have no idea if they will be on the surface or not since scaling is involved, but they might be worth checking out. 

Heh, ok. I just discovered the 1.3 recompile of Bon Voyage, so I might make some "quick" rover trips to see :)

In other news, the fog in the latest Scatterer is a bit... aggressive...

a5UC8ZL.jpg

4 hours ago, eddiew said:

Heh, ok. I just discovered the 1.3 recompile of Bon Voyage, so I might make some "quick" rover trips to see :)

In other news, the fog in the latest Scatterer is a bit... aggressive...

a5UC8ZL.jpg

Something isn't right there. Looks like a typical scatterer bug to me :) try entering and exiting a building. That usually fixes scatterer stuff and things

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo I could not find a sunflare config or file in the latest DL (maybe I am looking in the wrong places?) and indeed my sun is still very tiny in the game.

Running SSRSS 0.0.3.0 on KSP 1.3.0 of course. With Scatterer 0.0320b.

Everyting else looks very nice on the first few glances I had. Thanks again.

Wooaahhh, the sun flare is too many powerful !!! I know you have made GSF mod. Which model did you put in SSRSS 0.0.3.0 ?

However, I have problem of effect on the craft when I enter to atmosphere. See that.

http://imgur.com/a/3CyTv

A question for Advanced settings. After adding the line in the settings.cfg, do I need to select this settings in the game or they automatically selected ?

Edited by sylneo

1 hour ago, sylneo said:

Wooaahhh, the sun flare is too many powerful !!! I know you have made GSF mod. Which model did you put in SSRSS 0.0.3.0 ?

However, I have problem of effect on the craft when I enter to atmosphere. See that.

http://imgur.com/a/3CyTv

A question for Advanced settings. After adding the line in the settings.cfg, do I need to select this settings in the game or they automatically selected ?

The sun flare is basically the fusion white, but I tweaked the color a bit.

As for the advance settings, once they are there, you should have to select them as the game will default to them since it's the only preset with the names of those bodies. 

That strange effect is caused by struts. I think it's due to one end of the struts not being connected. Regardless, it's due to struts

Edited by Galileo

11 hours ago, Dafni said:

@Galileo I could not find a sunflare config or file in the latest DL (maybe I am looking in the wrong places?) and indeed my sun is still very tiny in the game.

Running SSRSS 0.0.3.0 on KSP 1.3.0 of course. With Scatterer 0.0320b.

Everyting else looks very nice on the first few glances I had. Thanks again.

@Galileo any idea why i still get that tiny sun? Everything else work and looks okay. The Sun in staging view is like a distant star, and in map view its very tiny too.

28 minutes ago, Dafni said:

@Galileo any idea why i still get that tiny sun? Everything else work and looks okay. The Sun in staging view is like a distant star, and in map view its very tiny too.

I'll look into it this evening when I get to my pc. Can you post a few screenshots for me so I can compare my game to yours?

I suspect nothing is wrong, but rescaling the real Suns radius by .094xxx, like Ssrss does, results in something much smaller than the stock ksp sun, which is unrealistically huge and you may be expecting the something like that instead of what is in SSRSS. If that's the case I can create a patch for you that will make the sun the stock size. 

Are you playing with scatterer? If not I may have to look at the light node in kopernicus and disable the brightness curve when scatterer isn't installed 

there is obviously a lot of variables and changes that can be made, so I'll see what I can do

Edited by Galileo

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

I'll look into it this evening when I get to my pc. Can you post a few screenshots for me so I can compare my game to yours?

I suspect nothing is wrong, but rescaling the real Suns radius by .094xxx, like Ssrss does, results in something much smaller than the stock ksp sun, which is unrealistically huge and you may be expecting the something like that instead of what is in SSRSS. If that's the case I can create a patch for you that will make the sun the stock size. 

Are you playing with scatterer? If not I may have to look at the light node in kopernicus and disable the brightness curve when scatterer isn't installed 

there is obviously a lot of variables and changes that can be made, so I'll see what I can do

Thank you @Galileo for looking into this. I am on central European time here, and I did not see your message yesterday, sorry. I am at work now and will provide you some screenshots as soon as I get the chance tonight.

As far as I remember, my sun looks the same with or without scatterer. I will verify this tonight and post some pictures.

(in the meantime, I can tell that it looks a lot like the pics of the tiny sun some other member posted a page or two back, FWIW)

Thanks again and stay tuned

Edit: I found the post in question. Just as a visual reference in the meantime:

Edited by Dafni

So, for those wondering about the Sun's size in SSRSS.. I did some math for you guys (I hate math) and I hope it helps you understand why it looks so small. 

Stock is roughly 10.6x smaller than the real solar system AND is extremely unrealistic when you consider how large the Sun is for the scale Squad chose. Kerbin would cook.

In real life, the radius of the sun is roughly 696342km. Divide that by 10.6, which is roughly what SSRSS does to obtain a stock size, and you get a whopping 65,692 km --- Or, about 4x smaller than the stock Sun, which is 261,600 km. So for stock scale, the sun is accurate in its size. 

SSRSS wasn't ever supposed to make the Sun the same size as stock, or put Jupiter in the same spot as Jool or anything like that. I think that's a pretty common misunderstanding. Remember it's stock SIZE, not stock ALIKE. Big difference there. It's goal was to make it possible to play RSS, without having to worry about your skill level, or using a huge collection of mods like RO because stock parts are sufficient in this scale.  

If you were to install full scale RSS right now, and without looking at any numbers,  put a ship into orbit with hyperedit, and took a screenshot of the sun, you would not be able to tell a difference between SSRSS and RSS. That's just how it looks when the Sun has an accurate, realistic radius. 

What I will do to for SSRSS is disable the brightness curve I included in SSRSS, which allows for the stock corona to grow a bit bigger. This will only change the way it looks if you don't use Scatterer though.  This will happen in the next update. For now:

Non-Scatterer users:  You can go into can go into SSRSS\configs\SSRSS_PQS and delete the following from the cfgs:

Spoiler

!brightnessCurve {}
				brightnessCurve
				{
					key = 0 0 0 25
					key = 0.01 0.105 0.5 0.5
					key = 1 0.6 0.5 0.5
					key = 5 3 0 0
					key = 10 3 0 0
					key = 50 2 0 0
					key = 200 2 0 0
				}

Delete only the lines you see here

Scatterer users: You can open the sun flare cfg, located in SSRSS\visuals\scatterer\Sunflares\Sun.cfg, and change these values:

Spoiler

flareSettings = x,x,0.30117647<-----
		spikesSettings = x,x,0.0941767383456286<-----

I recommend multiplying these values by 0.75 or something around there to get a decent result. (smaller number equals bigger sun flare)

I hope this helps you understand why everything looks the way it does. 

10 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Weirdly my sunflare is absolutely huge... I have a venusian sun in martian orbit :) 

If you install a separate sunflare, there a couple of different variables that can affect the size of it. 

For one, the size of the texture that the original dev created. I make mine just a tad bigger than the radius of the sun. Some devs only care that their texture covers the sun. Lazy, is what I call it. :) 

secondly, if the flare comes with its own cfg, sigma dimensions now rescales the values in the cfg. So you would need to adjust the cfg to work with sd. 

I would look at the sun flare cfg for Ssrss and make sure you made the same kind of adjustments.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I hope this helps you understand why everything looks the way it does. 

Thank you for the explanation. Makes a lot of sense now. I'll upload some screenshots later to see if we all talk about the same thing here. Might be just my own impression.

Edited by Dafni

Okay @Galileo, I see what you mean now. The sunflare I get without scatterer indeed has that somewhat realistic look that we know from RSS:

u4eS7zB.png

However, when scatterer is installed I get this:

XvDvypd.png

and in mapview it looks like this, again with scatterer

9jODPIv.png

does it looks the same for you?

many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Okay @Galileo, I see what you mean now. The sunflare I get without scatterer indeed has that somewhat realistic look that we know from RSS:

u4eS7zB.png

However, when scatterer is installed I get this:

XvDvypd.png

and in mapview it looks like this, again with scatterer

9jODPIv.png

does it looks the same for you?

many thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Yes when scatterer is installed, the stock corona is disabled in favor of the scatterer sun flare. Not sure why your screenshots don't show the sun flare. Do you disable it in the main menu?

Sorry I not understand for the advanced settings. I'm not so good in english and I not understantd if I have to select them in Settings or not ? If yes, where can I do that ?

An other thing I not understand in the advanced settings, you set variables for body with the real name or the planet but not for the Earth. You keep the name of "Kerbin". Why ? Just to understand how the mod work in KSP.

For Dafni, my sunflare with the version 0.0.3.0 is like this. With a clean install of KSP.

UDZWfpX.jpg

Edited by sylneo

Hello! First of all i want to say that  this mods compilation is absolutely awesome and i love it...

Then... Now go to the problem; I alredy installed all packages, all  work fine... But Titan, in Staurn system is dark, i left pass the days because i think that was Saturn shadow over Titan, but no. I left pass some years in quick time mode and Titan still dark and i can't se anything, no atm, no terrain, no nothing, only the sphere.

I will wait for answer. Thank you for read me and excuse my English... I have very low level.

Salutes!

Edited by Vilkov

53 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yes when scatterer is installed, the stock corona is disabled in favor of the scatterer sun flare. Not sure why your screenshots don't show the sun flare. Do you disable it in the main menu?

Now how embarrassing is this? I got it now. Its hidden in the Lens Flare Shader setting (I always assumed its just those lens effects). Sorry for wasting your time like that @Galileo. I am grateful for the help though.

And guys, HOLY MOTHER OF ALL BRIGHT SUNFLARES!! I see what you are talking about now @eddiew! Need sunglasses now :) It looks so bright I feel the vessels in Earth orbit ought to light up way more. Time to play with the configs now I guess. I might try to turn the flare down a little, according to Galileos advice above.

cheers guys, and thanks for helping

edit: @sylneo thanks mate, I get the same now

Edited by Dafni