[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled- Bust out the duct tape, we're going to space!

linuxgurugamer

This wonderful little (not so little) mod was originally written by @Rubber Ducky back in 2013.  It's been updated for 1.2 thanks to the efforts of @Astrofox and @MeCripp, I've adopted it to keep it going and get included into CKAN.

Original thread is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/53486-024-bargain-rocket-parts-v11-bust-out-the-duct-tape-were-going-to-space/&

XUvIbYl.png

Please note that this mod will modify the stock tech tree, and is probably incompatible with any of the custom tech trees available.

0kLIts3.png

XEBUmUG.png

After serious budget cuts at the Kerbal Space Agency, they turn to the one contractor they can still afford: Bargain Rocket Parts Inc.

Features:

- 34 brand new parts, mostly fashioned out of duct tape, cardboard, and whatever else we could find laying around for optimum cost-efficiency.

- Full IVA for the BC-1 Space Box command module.

- Tech-tree integration (using ModuleManager).

- Includes four new science experiments.

- Contracts! I imagine this mod is super unbalanced with the budgeting system, though

License:

88x31.png

This pack includes ModuleManager, initially created by ialdabaoth and now taken over by sarbian.

Forum thread, including the source code, can be found here!

3EiWbO2.png

Source code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/BargainRocketPartsRecycled

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1291

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

Omg I was in tears watching the video! How is This not a part of the stock game? Going to try and make this work with my mod list, post patchs if I come up with any.

Let me know, but take a look at the cfg which comes with it first

Tried it out, and could not stop laughing. Its very well done, too well for my current game :( I was pleasantly surprised fuel switch worked. Tweakscale doesn't seem useful so no support is fine. Antennas didn't work with remote tech I think I can look at it. I was kinda expecting to find Duct tape as a KIS/KAS tool. Sadly there was none. Connected living spaces seemed ok as well, but I didn't check out the docking magnet yet. The configs just seem to be moving parts around, witch is fine never liked the tec tree anyway, I love that you can make them only show in sandbox mode like this. I wonder if CCK/CTT could make it any easier, i don't really know how that works yet. Overall I'd say it has a very Easter egg feel, it got me thinking it would be fun to spread this pack over a few popular mods that work well together, so you kinda build a set. Just a thought, just for fun.

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

Tried it out, and could not stop laughing. Its very well done, too well for my current game :( I was pleasantly surprised fuel switch worked. Tweakscale doesn't seem useful so no support is fine. Antennas didn't work with remote tech I think I can look at it. I was kinda expecting to find Duct tape as a KIS/KAS tool. Sadly there was none. Connected living spaces seemed ok as well, but I didn't check out the docking magnet yet. The configs just seem to be moving parts around, witch is fine never liked the tec tree anyway, I love that you can make them only show in sandbox mode like this. I wonder if CCK/CTT could make it any easier, i don't really know how that works yet. Overall I'd say it has a very Easter egg feel, it got me thinking it would be fun to spread this pack over a few popular mods that work well together, so you kinda build a set. Just a thought, just for fun.

If someone would make a duct tape model, I'd add it.  Sadly, I'm not a 3d modeler

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If someone would make a duct tape model, I'd add it.  Sadly, I'm not a 3d modeler

Nor am I, but its a silver cylinder with a hole in it. how hard could it be? Some moder could spare a few min I'm sure. 

As soon as I saw this I downloaded it. Should go great with Rusty Star Rockets and Professor Phineas Kerbenstein's Wonderous Vertical Propulsion Emporium.

The first thing I found was that the parachutes are off by a factor of 10. The SL-10 Rustic Parachute is graphically the same diameter as the Mk16 but it says the Fully Deployed Effective Diameter is 2.1m, whereas the Mk16 is 20.7m. Consequently, it allows your cardboard box to hit the ground at twice its tolerance (same as for the SL-2 Plastic Parachute). I looked at the CFG file but they look very different and I couldn't figure out what to change.

43 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Have you considered adding like Cardboard Winglets to the mod? Something to help add a bit of stability to the rockets?

From what I've seen around: Linuxgurugamer isn't a modler.  He's good with code, and can update parts so that they work with current versions, but if you want him to add *new* parts, you need to find someone to do the modeling for him.

20 minutes ago, DStaal said:

From what I've seen around: Linuxgurugamer isn't a modler.  He's good with code, and can update parts so that they work with current versions, but if you want him to add *new* parts, you need to find someone to do the modeling for him.

Lots of nice things can be added.  Get me models, I'll be happy to add them

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.