[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled- Bust out the duct tape, we're going to space!

linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer and all - Have a nice time. :)

Finally I made enouch changes in Bargain rocket parts mod for do it more playable.
I spent quite many time on tweaks part characteristics and tech tree, and testing all this for balance.
Now all looks enouch playable, imho. Rockets needs a quite many plywood fins though.

Added a 3 new parts:

1) radial-attached reaction wheels device, based on clock model and it's changed texture (selfmade);
2) BBQ-2 probe with built-in reaction wheels module, based on BBQ-1 model and changed texture (selfmade);
3) rusty structuralPanel, based on stock structuralPanel1x1 model and new texture, taking from "rusty panels" (found it among the forum threads, can't remember where).

Engines characteristics and max temperatures of commandpod (and some other parts) was lowed intentionally, due to using low-tech materials and wishing to increace of mod's hard level.

Some parts descriptions needs to checking for English correct, may be even some changing - I hope to Your help in it.

Known problem:
Unfortunately, a BBQ-pods is sink after land on water, but anyway can be recovered after reachind to bottom.
(linuxgurugamer, may be exist a way to fixing this?)

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3qy5v9mxb28w8z/BargainRocketsA.zip?dl=0

Anyway, now mod already playable for everyone - for testing, issues and recomendations.

14 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

Finally I made enouch changes in Bargain rocket parts mod for do it more playable.
I spent quite many time on tweaks part characteristics and tech tree, and testing all this for balance.
Now all looks enouch playable, imho. Rockets needs a quite many plywood fins though.

Added a 3 new parts:

1) radial-attached reaction wheels device, based on clock model and it's changed texture (selfmade);
2) BBQ-2 probe with built-in reaction wheels module, based on BBQ-1 model and changed texture (selfmade);
3) rusty structuralPanel, based on stock structuralPanel1x1 model and new texture, taking from "rusty panels" (found it among the forum threads, can't remember where).

Engines characteristics and max temperatures of commandpod (and some other parts) was lowed intentionally, due to using low-tech materials and wishing to increace of mod's hard level.

Some parts descriptions needs to checking for English correct, may be even some changing - I hope to Your help in it.

Known problem:
Unfortunately, a BBQ-pods is sink after land on water, but anyway can be recovered after reachind to bottom.

Anyway, now mod already playable for everyone - for testing, issues and recomendations.

I would have preferred a Github PR, but I'll see what I can do.

If someone else could take a look, that would be helpful

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, Aerospacer said:

Added a 3 new parts:

Known problem:

Might try and add or use  some of these lines when I get a chance will take a look

CenterOfBuoyancy = 0.0, 0.8, 0.0
	CenterOfDisplacement = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0
	buoyancyUseSine = False
	buoyancy = 1.1

but not the numbers those are from the MK 1-2 pod

Edited by Mecripp2

6 hours ago, Tux1 said:

I tried it and it works flawlessly! I love all the gameplay changes. You should really make this the official version!

Thanks, but please wait 2-3 days, I want to done some minor tweaking and add a solar panel part (by GagaX with his permission).

I will upload it asap.

1 hour ago, Aerospacer said:

Thanks, but please wait 2-3 days, I want to done some minor tweaking and add a solar panel part (by GagaX with his permission).

I will upload it asap.

Ok.

Do you think you can do this as  PR on github, rather than a zip file?

To @linuxgurugamer and community.

I upload the editing version of BRPR in dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgyq2pd6x1hnjet/BargainRocketsA2.zip?dl=0

It working quite good, just probably need to some correct the descriptions in part of the Literate English.

Both unmanned pods now floating, but some combinations with other parts still can to sink though.

Engines characteristics and max temperatures of commandpod (and some other parts) was lowed intentionally, due to using low-tech materials and wishing to increase of mod's hard level.

_____ Changelog _____

1. Many of the parts parameters was changing and tweaking for balance.

2. Added the 4 new parts:

1) BBQ-2 probe with built-in reaction wheels module, based on BBQ-1 model and changed texture (selfmade);
2) radial-attached reaction wheels device, based on clock model and it's changed texture (selfmade);
3) rusty structuralPanel, based on stock structuralPanel1x1 model and new "rusty panels" texture (found on forum);
4) small solar panel from Rusty Star Rocket mod (thanks to GagaX for permission).

3. The tech tree is reedited, career now start from unmanned pods and used in begin steps only BRPR parts. All stock parts remaining in tech tree and open in later steps.

Edited by Aerospacer

4 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

To @linuxgurugamer and community.

I upload the editing version of BRPR in dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgyq2pd6x1hnjet/BargainRocketsA2.zip?dl=0

It working quite good, just probably need to some correct the descriptions in part of the Literate English.

Both unmanned pods now floating, but some combinations with other parts still can to sink though.

Engines characteristics and max temperatures of commandpod (and some other parts) was lowed intentionally, due to using low-tech materials and wishing to increase of mod's hard level.

_____ Changelog _____

1. Many of the parts parameters was changing and tweaking for balance.

2. Added the 4 new parts:

1) BBQ-2 probe with built-in reaction wheels module, based on BBQ-1 model and changed texture (selfmade);
2) radial-attached reaction wheels device, based on clock model and it's changed texture (selfmade);
3) rusty structuralPanel, based on stock structuralPanel1x1 model and new "rusty panels" texture (found on forum);
4) small solar panel from Rusty Star Rocket mod (thanks to GagaX for permission).

3. The tech tree is reedited, career now start from unmanned pods and used in begin steps only BRPR parts. All stock parts remaining in tech tree and open in later steps.

Thanks, I've downloaded, will go over it on Sunday.

If someone else gets a chance to look it it also, that would be helpful.

@Tux1 - try to begin a new career and rechecking.

(I've seen a similar glitch, it happens if you continue your career after reinstalling the mod - tech tree screen use a part places from its cfg, not from rearranging tech tree file - but it just a visuality).

Rechecking again in my KSP - after beginning new career working correct.

Edited by Aerospacer

On 7/29/2017 at 9:41 AM, Tux1 said:

@Aerospacer That's weird, why are all the Bargain Rocket Parts parts in the first tech tree node? And why are there 2 plywood fins? I think this version is a little bugged.

Because this was a fun mod, not serious.  And there were two sizes of plywood fins

I suggest you try this version for now @Aerospacer has done a good and detailed job of fixing the tech tree issues:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgyq2pd6x1hnjet/BargainRocketsA2.zip?dl=0

On 01.08.2017 at 3:28 AM, Astrofox said:

So, I should mention that one of the plywood fins should be smaller than the other.

Yes, of course. It is. And was. )

On 01.08.2017 at 3:28 AM, Astrofox said:

However, not so sure about all the parts being in the first tech tree node.

Agree, I fixed this.

Also I fixed the BC-1 pod  CoM position for increase of survivability after reentry. And some decrease mass of NGE-45.

New link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z68pkzm11rrig7/BargainRocketRec-A2%2B.zip?dl=0

At now I can to admit this build done (for myself, I'm sorry for my bad english in part descriptions).

Next stage - adaptation to localization, but I still didn't mastered this stuff and ready to give this mod anybody who want to continue it. :)

3 hours ago, Tux1 said:

Also, I want this to be a serious mod.

In what sense?

I think, you may to do this yourself. Welcome and feel free :)

Edited by Aerospacer
link + add

• 1 month later...

All of this mod 'should' be in the first node of the tree:  start with imagination, move to realization... Cardboard and lay-about material for inspiration/imagination before the 'real deal'... think about younguns playin' make believe in the back yard...  the name fits that perfectly, so does the start node, or at most the first 3 nodes...

a side note: A fire extinguisher strapped to the bottom of a BBQ... but no appropriate fuel tank...  try filling the Fire extinguisher with, i don't know... CO2 maybe (think "ant engine" with a pool of mono in it's base)  otherwise we are using the stop sign tank at the bottom and the BBQ legs clip through it...  alternately, clone the 'can of mono-prop' into a second small tank for LF+Ox for the Fire Extinguisher engine... or just add a pool of LF+OX to the Fire Extinguisher...  the mono fits the spirit of it better i think.

For your consideration: Xenon BBQ anyone?  can we get a small model of a propane tank to go under the:

"The new BBQ-3.7 Deluxe(patent on appeal)!!  Now with a built-in Meat Slicer(patent pending) and a Xenon fueled IR/UV(?) Cooking Element(patent also pending)!!  ...Err, I mean Reaction Wheels and an Ion Propulsion upgrade option!!! (The BBQ-3 Has no user serviceable... scratch that... The BBQ-3 has no serviceable parts at all... Not responsible for lacerations or dismemberment due to attempted servicing.)"

...lol, perhaps this propane tank could be a xenon tank connected to a xenon/electricity fueled hotplate, maybe add a few R/C Toy Li-Po Batteries for the high Electric demand of the ion hot-plate...

I'll see if i can hand-jam a tweak to the FE Engine to add some fuel options... possibly the mono-prop tank as well...  not a modeller, as plastic models don't count in this regard...lol.  maybe just add a resource node to it and let fuelSwitch or another similar handle the contents via the r-click in the editor, but that would add a dependency...

Please, open the Large and Small 'plywood*.jpg' for the fin texture in Paint or any photo editing program that can save as .dds or .png.  The .jpg doesn't do it on my install.  It just shows the normal basic fin texture (grey/yellow trim). I haven't tried it that way, will test shortly.

Attaching some tweaks for you to use if you'd like.  Nvm, Forking & tweaking there... PR shortly

Github PR @linuxgurugamer

Edited by Shaggygoblin
PR made

This and sounding rockets were, to me, the perfect early game that just made sense... add in KAX, FS, or another 'early planes' mod and boom: very lightweight realistic early progression, starting with conceptual crafts using the SR's & 'make believe' with the BR's... Saw one of my nieces sitting in a refrigerator box pretending it was a plane... cheesy as it is, "KAD" (Kardboard Assisted Drafting) is essential, imho.   Now to to convince someone to take inspiration (textures) from BR and apply it to a plane parts pack, keeping the spirit of BR in the process... 

Plywood is working now... needed .dds'ing.  DDS4KSP 'still' serves it's purpose.

Edited by Shaggygoblin

• 2 weeks later...

Love the mod. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to bringing it back. Also want to say that the tech tree in the official release is really quite nice. Surprisingly, I think its the best mod for starting with probes (not to mention challengingly less-than-aerodynamic parts) that I've ever tried.

I have noticed a couple things I'm not sure are as intended though:

1.) ENG-60 shows two entries for alternator when I hover over the part listing in the VAB. One for 6.0 and one for 0.5. I'd actually wondered why I still had full batteries after my first mun fly-by, and now I'm thinking the 6.0 alternator on this smaller engine (the bell with the innertube) maybe isn't meant to be there?

-and-

2.) The ENG-250 produces the same exact delta-v as the stock 'Reliant' starting engine when attached to any given craft, but it gets there with different fuel consumption values. It's the same weight as the Reliant, yet produces more thrust, both At Sea Level and in Vacuum while giving a higher TWR. The 250 even lists a 0.30 gimbal range for vectoring in the VAB mouseover, while the Reliant claims no gimbal at all. Unless I'm missing something, that means the ENG-250 you get in tier 1 - AKA the barrel with one end blown off - is in every way superior to the Reliant that you unlock in tier 3 for 45 science. If those stats are accurate, there's no reason the Reliant should ever be used over the ENG-250. And that seems to me like an imbalance.

The more I play bargain rockets, the more subtlety I see. I love that the weight of the refrigerator fuel tanks is .075 more than the FL-T200 stock tanks, thus outmoding them once you unlock the better ones. I really appreciate the care that's been taken to update this mod with a solid tech tree that releases its stock equivalents through progression at reasonable times, while giving balanced values and reasonable inefficiencies to the bargain parts to keep the stock assets worthwhile unlocks.

Eager to see more bargain rockets models and parts!
Thanks for keeping it alive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

HEY!  Modding the stock tech tree is double-plus uncool and significantly broke my game as some of the categories don't exist right now. NEVER EDIT STOCK VALUES! You can inject a module if you need to if it says x=y in stock, then that is gospel... =\

Otherwise, this is one of my favorite mods, would like to see some new parts in the same style. :wink:

On 1/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, AlonzoTG said:

HEY!  Modding the stock tech tree is double-plus uncool and significantly broke my game as some of the categories don't exist right now. NEVER EDIT STOCK VALUES! You can inject a module if you need to if it says x=y in stock, then that is gospel... =\

Otherwise, this is one of my favorite mods, would like to see some new parts in the same style. :wink:

This mod does NOT modify the tech tree.  You must have other mods installed.

This mod DOES modify the tech tree

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.