[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled- Bust out the duct tape, we're going to space!

linuxgurugamer

On 3/29/2017 at 10:30 PM, CaptKordite said:

As soon as I saw this I downloaded it. Should go great with Rusty Star Rockets and Professor Phineas Kerbenstein's Wonderous Vertical Propulsion Emporium.

The first thing I found was that the parachutes are off by a factor of 10. The SL-10 Rustic Parachute is graphically the same diameter as the Mk16 but it says the Fully Deployed Effective Diameter is 2.1m, whereas the Mk16 is 20.7m. Consequently, it allows your cardboard box to hit the ground at twice its tolerance (same as for the SL-2 Plastic Parachute). I looked at the CFG file but they look very different and I couldn't figure out what to change.

Parachutes have been fixed

16 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Lots of nice things can be added.  Get me models, I'll be happy to add them

May you to use a stock basic fin with new texture? (for example like a plywood)

BasicFin.png

Thank you for continue of this beautiful mod. :)

Edited by Aerospacer
add texture link

4 hours ago, Aerospacer said:

May you to use a stock basic fin with new texture? (for example like a plywood)

That's not true plywood, it's a pressboard.

But it works

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure, that would work

Since this involves copying a couple of Squad files, I've asked for permission

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll probably release it in a day or so, want to see if anybody provides any additional parts.

I'll admit to considering patching the fire-extinguisher to use monoprop, and have a small storage of it.

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No need to copy the files, I have it done, in two sizes, max temperature is 451:

Cool, thanks! )

Spoiler

Looks good, but imho some large texture scale, for both sizes. Maybe will be better to scaling down at least for big winglet.

Edited by Aerospacer

Much much better, almost excellent. )

Temperature is low, relatively  other parts, but it may be even good - suitable for this materials (for KSP of course :) ) and may to lead to feeric combustion during the ascent. :wink:

Edited by Aerospacer

8 hours ago, Kuansenhama said:

This mod is excellent, but there's no means of power generation. Can we please get an RTG that is a power strip plugged into itself?

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure.

Make me the model, and I'll add it

No no no, that wouldn't work at all.... the generator needs to be at least somewhat plausible.... like a hamster running in a wheel attached to tiny dynamo, sealed in a fishtank.  "half-life" corresponding to oxygen depletion and hamster death.

I'd make the part but I have no idea how to / dont have any 3d modeling software

On 4/1/2017 at 0:36 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Parachutes have been fixed

They may need some tweaking. The SL-10 Rustic Parachute in the parts list now says it's Fully Deployed Effective Diameter is 7.4m when, visually, it is the same 20m diameter as the Mk16. On the plus side, though, it brings the landing velocity down to a gentle 5m/s so, "fixed" applies, I suppose. The SL-2 is still letting the BBQ hit the ground too fast.

I haven't been able to get anything to fly decently. At TL1, anything I try to build flips out of control before 10km. I can do a little better with the parts at TL3 but I haven't been able to get a Space Box to orbit without at least tumbling the whole rocket a few times before 20km. Has anyone else had more success at low tech levels?

4 hours ago, JayPee said:

No no no, that wouldn't work at all.... the generator needs to be at least somewhat plausible.... like a hamster running in a wheel attached to tiny dynamo, sealed in a fishtank.  "half-life" corresponding to oxygen depletion and hamster death.

I'd make the part but I have no idea how to / dont have any 3d modeling software

lol that's funnier anyway. Yeah I don't have any 3D modeling experience either. I might not be taking college classes this summer, so maybe I'll set aside the time to learn Blender and finally make my own parts pack.

3 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

They may need some tweaking. The SL-10 Rustic Parachute in the parts list now says it's Fully Deployed Effective Diameter is 7.4m when, visually, it is the same 20m diameter as the Mk16. On the plus side, though, it brings the landing velocity down to a gentle 5m/s so, "fixed" applies, I suppose. The SL-2 is still letting the BBQ hit the ground too fast.

I haven't been able to get anything to fly decently. At TL1, anything I try to build flips out of control before 10km. I can do a little better with the parts at TL3 but I haven't been able to get a Space Box to orbit without at least tumbling the whole rocket a few times before 20km. Has anyone else had more success at low tech levels?

Well the mod is lacking in a lot of regards as to allowing someone to make a workable rocket fully out of the parts from it. (Henceforth why I suggest some kind of power generation and couldn't think of anything particularly witty or interesting to replace a deployable solar panel.) I think that some aerodynamic controls are in place, even if they be made out of plywood, umbrellas and picnic blankets. There are opportunities to make things like a desk fan that functions as an atmospheric engine or a burnt out car chassis (or refrigerator box) as a multi-crew command pod, or an old recliner as an external command seat.

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is that still a thing?

I've been playing it a lot recently. After 3 years of KSP, my first concerted effort at interplanetary has been with RSR. Just last week I stranded missions on both Moho and Duna.

I found an issue: This moves the Z-4k battery to the 'largeProbes' node in the tech tree - which doesn't exist.  I've submitted a PR to make it move things to 'largeUnmanned', which is probably what you mean.

(Though personally, I'm not sure I want it moving stock parts at all...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, DStaal said:

I found an issue: This moves the Z-4k battery to the 'largeProbes' node in the tech tree - which doesn't exist.  I've submitted a PR to make it move things to 'largeUnmanned', which is probably what you mean.

(Though personally, I'm not sure I want it moving stock parts at all...)

So that's what was doing it. I was about to run through all my mods trying to find the culprit. Thanks for saving me the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02.04.2017 at 4:30 PM, Kuansenhama said:

This mod is excellent, but there's no means of power generation.

For the first steps of a career there will be enough potatoes, but there is a serious shortage of small reaction wheels. I was fascinated by this mod, and now I'm trying to fix it myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.