linuxgurugamer

[1.3.*,1.4.*] Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled- Bust out the duct tape, we're going to space!

Recommended Posts

This wonderful little (not so little) mod was originally written by @Rubber Ducky back in 2013.  It's been updated for 1.2 thanks to the efforts of @Astrofox and @MeCripp, I've adopted it to keep it going and get included into CKAN.

Original thread is here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/53486-024-bargain-rocket-parts-v11-bust-out-the-duct-tape-were-going-to-space/&

XUvIbYl.png

 

Please note that this mod will modify the stock tech tree, and is probably incompatible with any of the custom tech trees available.

 

 

0kLIts3.png

XEBUmUG.png

After serious budget cuts at the Kerbal Space Agency, they turn to the one contractor they can still afford: Bargain Rocket Parts Inc.

Features:

- 34 brand new parts, mostly fashioned out of duct tape, cardboard, and whatever else we could find laying around for optimum cost-efficiency.

- Full IVA for the BC-1 Space Box command module.

- Tech-tree integration (using ModuleManager).

- Includes four new science experiments.

- Contracts! I imagine this mod is super unbalanced with the budgeting system, though

License:

88x31.png

This pack includes ModuleManager, initially created by ialdabaoth and now taken over by sarbian.

Forum thread, including the source code, can be found here!

3EiWbO2.png

Source code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/BargainRocketPartsRecycled

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1291

 

Edited by linuxgurugamer
  • Like 27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best mod for KSP, many thanks for this revival <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg I was in tears watching the video! How is This not a part of the stock game? Going to try and make this work with my mod list, post patchs if I come up with any.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snkiz said:

Omg I was in tears watching the video! How is This not a part of the stock game? Going to try and make this work with my mod list, post patchs if I come up with any.

Let me know, but take a look at the cfg which comes with it first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried it out, and could not stop laughing. Its very well done, too well for my current game :( I was pleasantly surprised fuel switch worked. Tweakscale doesn't seem useful so no support is fine. Antennas didn't work with remote tech I think I can look at it. I was kinda expecting to find Duct tape as a KIS/KAS tool. Sadly there was none. Connected living spaces seemed ok as well, but I didn't check out the docking magnet yet. The configs just seem to be moving parts around, witch is fine never liked the tec tree anyway, I love that you can make them only show in sandbox mode like this. I wonder if CCK/CTT could make it any easier, i don't really know how that works yet. Overall I'd say it has a very Easter egg feel, it got me thinking it would be fun to spread this pack over a few popular mods that work well together, so you kinda build a set. Just a thought, just for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snkiz said:

Tried it out, and could not stop laughing. Its very well done, too well for my current game :( I was pleasantly surprised fuel switch worked. Tweakscale doesn't seem useful so no support is fine. Antennas didn't work with remote tech I think I can look at it. I was kinda expecting to find Duct tape as a KIS/KAS tool. Sadly there was none. Connected living spaces seemed ok as well, but I didn't check out the docking magnet yet. The configs just seem to be moving parts around, witch is fine never liked the tec tree anyway, I love that you can make them only show in sandbox mode like this. I wonder if CCK/CTT could make it any easier, i don't really know how that works yet. Overall I'd say it has a very Easter egg feel, it got me thinking it would be fun to spread this pack over a few popular mods that work well together, so you kinda build a set. Just a thought, just for fun.

If someone would make a duct tape model, I'd add it.  Sadly, I'm not a 3d modeler

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If someone would make a duct tape model, I'd add it.  Sadly, I'm not a 3d modeler

Nor am I, but its a silver cylinder with a hole in it. how hard could it be? Some moder could spare a few min I'm sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, snkiz said:

Nor am I, but its a silver cylinder with a hole in it. how hard could it be? Some moder could spare a few min I'm sure. 

With a little tape coming off the end

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also like a hammer or mallot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer Surface experiment pack has one. I'm using it. It looks like it was built with KIS in mind. It even has a golf club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snkiz said:

@linuxgurugamer Surface experiment pack has one. I'm using it. It looks like it was built with KIS in mind. It even has a golf club.

ah ok, but I can't copy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I saw this I downloaded it. Should go great with Rusty Star Rockets and Professor Phineas Kerbenstein's Wonderous Vertical Propulsion Emporium.

The first thing I found was that the parachutes are off by a factor of 10. The SL-10 Rustic Parachute is graphically the same diameter as the Mk16 but it says the Fully Deployed Effective Diameter is 2.1m, whereas the Mk16 is 20.7m. Consequently, it allows your cardboard box to hit the ground at twice its tolerance (same as for the SL-2 Plastic Parachute). I looked at the CFG file but they look very different and I couldn't figure out what to change.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't be too difficult to fix, thanks for the report

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most Kerbal of the KSP mods, thanks for bringing it back!

(now if only there's a mod to make the KSC buildings into the barn + trailer homes like Squad teased a while back...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered adding like Cardboard Winglets to the mod? Something to help add a bit of stability to the rockets?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer you sneaky bugger lol, I only found out you re-did this mod because of Kottabos.   I'll delete this from the abandoned section! WOOT!  I got about 50-70 more mods to add to the abandoned section, more goodies for you to look at :cool:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Have you considered adding like Cardboard Winglets to the mod? Something to help add a bit of stability to the rockets?

From what I've seen around: Linuxgurugamer isn't a modler.  He's good with code, and can update parts so that they work with current versions, but if you want him to add *new* parts, you need to find someone to do the modeling for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DStaal said:

From what I've seen around: Linuxgurugamer isn't a modler.  He's good with code, and can update parts so that they work with current versions, but if you want him to add *new* parts, you need to find someone to do the modeling for him.

Lots of nice things can be added.  Get me models, I'll be happy to add them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CarnageINC said:

I just occurred to me @linuxgurugamer you missed a golden opportunity on the name!  You should call it Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled

I can rename it, I'll think about it

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I can rename it, I'll think about it

Renamed!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now