Neuralink

Spaceception

On 26.04.2017 at 3:26 AM, cubinator said:

it's just that I would do it with ants but ants can't fly.

Fertile ants can and do fly, they have wings.

(But why bother with ants, when ants are just degraded wasps?)

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Fertile ants can and do fly, they have wings.

(But why bother with ants, when ants are just degraded wasps?)

But those only have wings for a short time, while adult bees always can fly. It's less work. (Also, maybe it's time to divert the conversation back to neural nets instead of bees.)

Edited by cubinator

I love the way that most humans have "ideas" whereas Elon has "companies".

Middle of the Night.

Elon, jerks awake, sweaty: "HolyShoot! I just had a company!"

Edited by p1t1o

"Engineer... Scientist... Scientist... Engineer... Engineer... "

1. After that anybody still doubts that SpaceX and KSP are being designed by the same people?

2. They don't need pilots. Absolutely. But a pilot can get employed as a Technician, that's way.

3. They aren't sure if Electrochemists are Scientists or just cosplay them.
Upd..The same with immunohistochemists. Probably, chemists in a rocket lab fly too often and nobody knows if they are Scientists or those Pilots.
Also, in Kerbish Chemist and Pilot can be synonyms.

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

"Engineer... Scientist... Scientist... Engineer... Engineer... "

1. After that anybody still doubts that SpaceX and KSP are being designed by the same people?

2. They don't need pilots. Absolutely. But a pilot can get employed as a Technician, that's way.

3. They aren't sure if Electrochemists are Scientists or just cosplay them.
Upd..The same with immunohistochemists. Probably, chemists in a rocket lab fly too often and nobody knows if they are Scientists or those Pilots.
Also, in Kerbish Chemist and Pilot can be synonyms.

So right!

On 2017-4-24 at 4:50 AM, mikegarrison said:

Brain implants are already a thing of the present. However, as you might guess, brain surgery is extremely dangerous. So for now, brain implants are limited to the cases where they help really serious quality of life issues, like paralysis and severe seizure disorders. Because those are the only rewards that medically justify the risks.

So far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_implant

And also for eating disorders: http://io9.com/5989179/a-brain-implant-that-treats-severe-eating-disorders

• 2 years later...

Looks like the first chip is 1024 electrodes unless I missed something.

This was a pretty cool talk, and it's important to realize how mainstream this is as technology given Cochlear implants, and other implanted devices that use these techniques but on a much lower count of electrodes.

Even just as a medical device to treat brain disorders (or paraplegia), this is pretty exciting.

37 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Elon said a monkey has already been able to control a computer pointer with its brain using the device.

Pretty interesting.

I have no idea about cyborg sort of applications (aspirational), but the legitimate medical uses are really significant for people with various deficits, and should be encouraging if they are right about the ability of the tiny wires to resist degradation in the body.

This is uhhhhh, yeah.

This is obviously going to be great in the medical field, and do think they should focus on that first. But imagine what it can do outside the medical field. Imagine being able to control a Moon rover from the Earth using your mind, maybe further versions could affect other senses like vision, and we could see in infared or something.

Im an not expert on this, so i don't exactly know what we can and can't do with this, but i know one thing i know for sure, the concept itself hurts my brain.

@NSEP

controlling a rover on the moon with your mind isn’t really a leap forward. You could already do that with VR and your hands etc... and you don’t need to let a robot sewing machine go to town on your brain >_<.

The potential of it is in its ability to increase the outgoing bandwidth of your mind and create new paths for input. It could enable forms of communication akin to being empathically or telepathically linked to one another. It could enable you to improve the way your brain processes, stores and retrieves information. (You could literally have a photographic memory and those memories need not even be stored in your brain. You could even upload events you experience online, down to the feel of the wind In your hair and the heat of the sun on your skin.)

You might be able to stimulate areas of the brain in order to heighten your senses. And utilise computer processing power to augment your own cognitive abilities. 

If taken to the extreme of course. This won’t be version one XD

Edited by Guest

Controlling a pointer with your brain (and more) isn't anything new, though most uses I've heard of were pretty experimental. I suspect that what he wants to do here is commercialize and develop a technology that's been in the works for some time. This is a natural step on a long road from R&D to a commercial product. 

It would be interesting to see this combined with exoskeleton work. For paraplegics (and anyone else who might want an exoskeleton), that could be the ultimate solution to the problem of controlling such a machine. Especially since the brain is naturally capable of operating a walking mechanism, so the more you can offload to it, the less you have worry about programming a machine to walk (which is hard).

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Imagine being able to control a Moon rover from the Earth using your mind

It's ok with the Moon. What really scares is if imagine the Earth cars controlled by mind.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

man-gets-accident-while-driving-260nw-30

Edited by kerbiloid

• 11 months later...

Neural-Link + Biological Immortality = Limitless holodeck-like deep dives.

Why would society even bother functioning in the real world at that point, when each individual can play god?