[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

47 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Thanks for the reply! I'm not playing KSP as of now, but will get back to it in a few weeks once I get a better laptop.

I was actually thinking about doing it the hardcore way, with my own kOS scripts :D

I haven't tested with kOS yet! I want to give it a go soon

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I just release a new PRE version for KSP 1.7  https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.10.0

In this version I have fixed a long standing issue that was causing landed vessel to fall through the ground when entering into physics range.

During the following weeks I  will be doing intensive testing to ensure that scenarios using reusable boosters are completely covered by PRE.

That means that should  you decide to stay watching from ground the launch (like in this video):

Or if you decide to focus always on the rocket, both scenarios should work flawlessly and all the booster should be able to land safely and automatically saved for future actions.

Edited by jrodriguez

Hi! Playing KSP 1.7.0 but switching back to PRE 1.9  because 1.10 is just unplayable for me for some reason. First thing I noticed right away is extreme delays when loading a vehicle on the launch pad, and then it gets even worse when I launch the rocket (release the clamps). The game just freezes and stutters for like 10 seconds but the rocket keeps firing (it looks like a TWR of 1.01) and then when the game unfreezes I'm still on the ground but I've lost the fuel of that burn time. During the ascent, the rocket becomes more and more unstable (heavy vibrating/wobbling). When I then switch to decoupled boosters the freezing starts again (and again several messages from PRE about loading stuff) and when I get to the ground my orbiting vessel is suddenly gone. And then I switched to the 3rd center booster still traveling to the ground and it was just going Kraken crazy and when it hit the ground the whole game goes crazy and I'm suddenly traveling away from the Kerbal system at multiple times the speed of light... Also, clipping is much worse.

I don't have these issues with v1.9 (with 100 km range) in KSP 1.7.0. I hope these issues are known or can be tracked down and fixed!

Edited by Exalerion

4 hours ago, Exalerion said:

Hi! Playing KSP 1.7.0 but switching back to PRE 1.9  because 1.10 is just unplayable for me for some reason. First thing I noticed right away is extreme delays when loading a vehicle on the launch pad, and then it gets even worse when I launch the rocket (release the clamps). The game just freezes and stutters for like 10 seconds but the rocket keeps firing (it looks like a TWR of 1.01) and then when the game unfreezes I'm still on the ground but I've lost the fuel of that burn time. During the ascent, the rocket becomes more and more unstable (heavy vibrating/wobbling). When I then switch to decoupled boosters the freezing starts again (and again several messages from PRE about loading stuff) and when I get to the ground my orbiting vessel is suddenly gone. And then I switched to the 3rd center booster still traveling to the ground and it was just going Kraken crazy and when it hit the ground the whole game goes crazy and I'm suddenly traveling away from the Kerbal system at multiple times the speed of light... Also, clipping is much worse.

I don't have these issues with v1.9 (with 100 km range) in KSP 1.7.0. I hope these issues are known or can be tracked down and fixed!

Thanks for the feedback. I will do more testing. Would you mind to create an issue and to attach your KSP.log here?

https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender

Hello, I've recently installed Physics Range Extender and whenever I try to activate it, all objects hover about 10m above ground and cannot move.  It happens when I activate this mod so I presume it's a bug or something.

I have bd armory, Module manager and Physics range extender installed.

19 minutes ago, ThatGuy101 said:

Hello, I've recently installed Physics Range Extender and whenever I try to activate it, all objects hover about 10m above ground and cannot move.  It happens when I activate this mod so I presume it's a bug or something.

I have bd armory, Module manager and Physics range extender installed.

Not sure if you are using the latest release but the latest is currently broken  and I'm working on a fix for it (please use the 1.9.0 version for KSP 1.6.X) .

However, it is expected that during the load of the flight scene PRE will iterate through each landed vessel and you will see a quick hover then it will switch back the original active vessel and then you are good to go. This is done on purpose to ensure that the terrain is correctly extended under every landed vessel.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, jrodriguez said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will do more testing. Would you mind to create an issue and to attach your KSP.log here?

https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender

No problem! But I've actually removed PRE 1.10 and continued playing career with PRE 1.9 (the concerned log file is gone), and I'm a bit hesitant about installing 1.10 again and possibly jeopardizing my missions/save lol. I'm not sure whether I can recreate (all) the problems I had.

Edited by Exalerion

4 hours ago, Exalerion said:

No problem! But I've actually removed PRE 1.10 and continued playing career with PRE 1.9 (the concerned log file is gone), and I'm a bit hesitant about installing 1.10 again and possibly jeopardizing my missions/save lol. I'm not sure whether I can recreate the (all) the problems I had.

No worries. I have found the issue and I'll be creating a new release very soon. Until I do the new release the best option is to still using PRE 1.9

On 4/18/2019 at 10:54 PM, Exalerion said:

No problem! But I've actually removed PRE 1.10 and continued playing career with PRE 1.9 (the concerned log file is gone), and I'm a bit hesitant about installing 1.10 again and possibly jeopardizing my missions/save lol. I'm not sure whether I can recreate the (all) the problems I had.

I just released a new PRE release with a complete rework of the Terrain extension logic.

The binaries can be found here:
https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.11.0

On 4/19/2019 at 3:04 AM, jrodriguez said:

No worries. I have found the issue and I'll be creating a new release very soon. Until I do the new release the best option is to still using PRE 1.9

On 4/23/2019 at 8:40 PM, jrodriguez said:

I just released a new PRE release with a complete rework of the Terrain extension logic.

The binaries can be found here:
https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.11.0

That's great, I'll try it out soon and let you know how it works!

Hi jrodriguez!Thanks for updating PRE for KSP 1.7!:D
I've noticed that in version 1.10 and later, the long standing critical issue has been fixed, so landed vessels won't fall through the ground when entering into physics range.
The .version file shows that PRE 1.11 is for KSP 1.7.x, and I wonder if KSP 1.6.1 (or even 1.5.1) could benefit from the latest PRE?
Can I use PRE 1.11 directly on KSP 1.6.1?
(sorry that I haven't try it by myself, for I only use a few functions of PRE, and I'm not sure if I can find the concealed errors which will ruin the mission)
And if the latest PRE really conflicts with old versions of KSP, will you kindly release something like "PRE 1.11 for ksp1.6.1"?
I understand that add-on development is a hard work, and you don't have the duty of adapting new mods for old game. I feel sorry for my self-willed request.
Finally, sorry about my poor English.;.; I hope I've expressed my ideas clearly and correctly.

38 minutes ago, RRHRH said:

Hi jrodriguez!Thanks for updating PRE for KSP 1.7!:D
I've noticed that in version 1.10 and later, the long standing critical issue has been fixed, so landed vessels won't fall through the ground when entering into physics range.
The .version file shows that PRE 1.11 is for KSP 1.7.x, and I wonder if KSP 1.6.1 (or even 1.5.1) could benefit from the latest PRE?
Can I use PRE 1.11 directly on KSP 1.6.1?
(sorry that I haven't try it by myself, for I only use a few functions of PRE, and I'm not sure if I can find the concealed errors which will ruin the mission)
And if the latest PRE really conflicts with old versions of KSP, will you kindly release something like "PRE 1.11 for ksp1.6.1"?
I understand that add-on development is a hard work, and you don't have the duty of adapting new mods for old game. I feel sorry for my self-willed request.
Finally, sorry about my poor English.;.; I hope I've expressed my ideas clearly and correctly.

I'm pretty sure the latest release will work from  KSP 1.5.X to KSP 1.7.X. I will do some sanity checks and on the next release I'll update the AVC version compatibility.

15 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I'm pretty sure the latest release will work from  KSP 1.5.X to KSP 1.7.X. I will do some sanity checks and on the next release I'll update the AVC version compatibility.

Thanks for taking time to reply my question.Now I can install latest PRE and enjoy the improvements!:) Hopes that my question can help someone with similar doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all!

Lately I have been experiencing a lot of stuttering, mostly with airplanes (funny how its more common with craft launched from the SPH than it is from the VAB). 

Funny enough, it only happens when the plane flies above 200 meters above ground. If I drop altitude below that the stuttering stops. Curious huh?

I am trying hard to pinpoint the guilty mod who is behind this. Is there any chance 'physics range extender' causes stuttering? I am not BLAMING the mod, I am just asking if anyone is aware of some known issues regarding that. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

Great mod!  I've been playing with booster landing using kOS.  I've had some inconsistencies.  I'm not sure if it's kOS or PRE.  To make things more complicated, I'm running Kerbal Construction Time, so most of these runs are being done in the K.R.A.S.H. Simulator before I actually "build" them.

Quick background:  I launch a 2 stage rocket, and do a stage separation around 400 m/s at a bit above 32 km altitude.  The 2nd stage continues to orbit, while 1st stage does a boost back and lands back at KSC.

You can see from this video clip and this clip, the 2nd stage continues fine (upper kOS window) when I switch focus to the Booster.  You can see a Side booster version with this clip, but PRE wasn't running, so the upper stage disappeared.

Yet, if I keep focus on the 2nd stage, most of the time the Boosters window disappears, and presumably the Boosters also goes away.  At first, I thought it was the Stage Recovery mod, as they'd appear in the SR recovered window.  I figured it was despawning them. I uninstalled SR, and it happened again.  I kept with the 2nd stage until orbit, so by the time I tried to check on the booster, it wasn't showing up on the map anymore.  So either it may have despawned as a low altitude suborbital craft or crashed into the surface.  It was 25km that the booster disappears.  To make things more complicated, it works fine sometimes going through to landing while unfocused.

I've got the range set up really high at 800 km, which is probably an issue.  I don't have a lot of debris floating around, maybe 10 objects around Kerbin, 4 of which are on the ground.  Rest in orbit.

Thoughts?  I know I can re-install SR, but I'd rather land it legitimately, as I use KCT recovery, and plop a new 2nd stage on top for a faster build time.

Edited by Soda Popinski

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Great mod!  I've been playing with booster landing using kOS.  I've had some inconsistencies.  I'm not sure if it's kOS or PRE.  To make things more complicated, I'm running Kerbal Construction Time, so most of these runs are being done in the K.R.A.S.H. Simulator before I actually "build" them.

Quick background:  I launch a 2 stage rocket, and do a stage separation around 400 m/s at a bit above 32 km altitude.  The 2nd stage continues to orbit, while 1st stage does a boost back and lands back at KSC.

You can see from this video clip and this clip, the 2nd stage continues fine (upper kOS window) when I switch focus to the Booster.  You can see a Side booster version with this clip, but PRE wasn't running, so the upper stage disappeared.

Yet, if I keep focus on the 2nd stage, most of the time the Boosters window disappears, and presumably the Boosters also goes away.  At first, I thought it was the Stage Recovery mod, as they'd appear in the SR recovered window.  I figured it was despawning them. I uninstalled SR, and it happened again.  I kept with the 2nd stage until orbit, so by the time I tried to check on the booster, it wasn't showing up on the map anymore.  So either it may have despawned as a low altitude suborbital craft or crashed into the surface.  It was 25km that the booster disappears.  To make things more complicated, it works fine sometimes going through to landing while unfocused.

I've got the range set up really high at 800 km, which is probably an issue.  I don't have a lot of debris floating around, maybe 10 objects around Kerbin, 4 of which are on the ground.  Rest in orbit.

Thoughts?  I know I can re-install SR, but I'd rather land it legitimately, as I use KCT recovery, and plop a new 2nd stage on top for a faster build time.

Hi! 

I think I know what might be happening.

There is a limitation (implemented on purpose) to avoid landed vessels to blow up when the inertial frame changes ( 140 km altitude in RSS). 

This means that if you are focusing the 2nd stage and you are expecting that the booster will be able to land safely...it will likely disappear as soon as it "lands" or even crash depending on the altitude of the 2nd stage .

If you want to avoid this you need to the following(l'll do the assumption that you are using RSS):

- Set PRE range to 1000km.

- Launch the rocket.

- After separation, focus the booster and let the 2nd stage to continue the ascent.

- Land the booster and switch to the 2nd stage. The booster will get automatically unloaded gracefully to avoid autodestruction.

- Finish the ascent.

- If at this point you  have any plans to try to land the 2nd stage or a probe, close to the booster. I suggest to reduce the PRE range to 200-250 km because re-entry is so critical that the shaking can be fatal if you are playing with Deadly Reentry

Gotcha.  Thanks for the quick reply.  In other words, I've already been doing the work around, since I've been focusing on the booster landing anyway.  I just wasn't sure what was going on, or which mod was causing the issue.  As I mentioned, on at least one occasion, it landed fine (well, presumably fell over afterward, but I don't have landing legs unlocked yet) while I had focus on the upper stage.

Part of the reason I was hoping to stay focused on the 2nd stage, is because I'm planning on using this in a cross-feed "Hawk Heavy."  Right now, my Launch Pad can't support a big enough rocket to matter as the entire core booster + 2nd stage get into orbit.  Eventually, when I get my big payload on, I'll need to be able to keep focus on the core + 2nd stage during ascent, as KOS requires focus during Staging.  I may be able to do a work around by using Action Groups with docking ports instead of decouplers and staging, but I'm not sure yet.  Worse comes to worst, I can re-install Stage Recovery and "pretend" the boosters landed.

FYI, I'm playing a bit casual this time, so no DRE, and I've never installed RSS.

Anyway, thanks for this great mod.  Can't do any of this without it.

30 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Gotcha.  Thanks for the quick reply.  In other words, I've already been doing the work around, since I've been focusing on the booster landing anyway.  I just wasn't sure what was going on, or which mod was causing the issue.  As I mentioned, on at least one occasion, it landed fine (well, presumably fell over afterward, but I don't have landing legs unlocked yet) while I had focus on the upper stage.

Part of the reason I was hoping to stay focused on the 2nd stage, is because I'm planning on using this in a cross-feed "Hawk Heavy."  Right now, my Launch Pad can't support a big enough rocket to matter as the entire core booster + 2nd stage get into orbit.  Eventually, when I get my big payload on, I'll need to be able to keep focus on the core + 2nd stage during ascent, as KOS requires focus during Staging.  I may be able to do a work around by using Action Groups with docking ports instead of decouplers and staging, but I'm not sure yet.  Worse comes to worst, I can re-install Stage Recovery and "pretend" the boosters landed.

FYI, I'm playing a bit casual this time, so no DRE, and I've never installed RSS.

Anyway, thanks for this great mod.  Can't do any of this without it.

Thanks! And regarding the staging, I suggest to use SmartParts mod to trigger the Stage action group when the remaining fuel is below a specific percentage.

This an example using SmartParts:

17 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Thanks! And regarding the staging, I suggest to use SmartParts mod to trigger the Stage action group when the remaining fuel is below a specific percentage.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm having a bit too much fun with KOS.  I just wrote a function to determine how much delta-V I need to get a good boost back based on current ground speed and compare that with how much delta-V I have left in the booster stage.  This allows me to leave a different amount of fuel based on how heavy my payload is.  Since heavier payloads means I'm going at a slower ground speed at MECO, I actually need less delta-V to get back to KSC, allowing me to use a greater fraction of the 1st stage booster fuel.  In other words, a fixed percentage isn't ideal.  I'll post a video later.

Edited by Soda Popinski

19 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm having a bit too much fun with KOS.  I just wrote a function to determine how much delta-V I need to get a good boost back based on current ground speed and compare that with how much delta-V I have left in the booster stage.  This allows me to leave a different amount of fuel based on how heavy my payload is.  Since heavier payloads means I'm going at a slower ground speed at MECO, I actually need less delta-V to get back to KSC, allowing me to use a great fraction of the 1st stage booster fuel.  In other words, a fixed percentage isn't ideal.  I'll post a video later.

Omg I need to invest some time in KOS. That sounds awesome :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.