[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

23 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Uhm if you set that to false then you are disabling the terrain loading, depending on the range your landed vessels might go through the ground. I will try to reproduce the issue but I will need some info about when exactly is the bug happening

Uh, sounds bad but it hasnt caused any trouble for me yet so i'll keep it that way till it's all good.

For reproducing; have a landed vehicle somewhere outside your physic range, then launch another vehicle and go towards that landed vehicle, when it's inside your physic range PRE switches to landed vehicle then switch back to current vehicle, while all these happening, landed vehicle starts exploding.

10 hours ago, qromodynmc said:

Uh, sounds bad but it hasnt caused any trouble for me yet so i'll keep it that way till it's all good.

For reproducing; have a landed vehicle somewhere outside your physic range, then launch another vehicle and go towards that landed vehicle, when it's inside your physic range PRE switches to landed vehicle then switch back to current vehicle, while all these happening, landed vehicle starts exploding.

Thanks I will try to reproduce it. Did you see this problem in Kerbin or in other planets?

On 5/6/2020 at 6:33 PM, qromodynmc said:

I do have the same issue, when i get closer to my base on minmus they exploding, plus there was a weird issue where PRE wouldnt let me switch back to nearest objects.

Maybe it's not all PRE's fault since i have tons of mods together but eventually i fixed my issue by setting this value to FALSE;

unknown.png

I dont have what exactly it does but it fixed all of my issues, dont mind the low global range i increased it to 30km after finding out it wasnt the reason for switching issue.

A friend told me setting that value to false should disable PRE completely but so far it still works, i see the messages from pre coming and i can switch to any vessel in selected range without any issue.

My bugs produce exactly the same kind of problems: As soon as I come from a long distance outside the PRE-range into the set PRE-range of another vessel, the camera automatically switches fous to the nearest vehicle and I can't switch back.

Plus the exploding and glitching through terrain.

Hi, in my case range extender causes some issues with terrain. When it is enabled, terrain starts to blink green/black. When i disable the mod, everything goes back to normal. I tried to search solution online, but coudnt find any. Printscreen below.

oVJ2zRT.jpg 

I've had the game freezing when enabling PRE in-flight. When restarting and going to the launchpad, it froze again (the settings file confirms the mod was enabled on the second freeze).

Now, I am playing with RSS in 1.8.1, and the latest 1.9 PRE release might have fixed my problem. Would that version be backwards-compatible, or is it hopeless?

2 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

I've had the game freezing when enabling PRE in-flight. When restarting and going to the launchpad, it froze again (the settings file confirms the mod was enabled on the second freeze).

Now, I am playing with RSS in 1.8.1, and the latest 1.9 PRE release might have fixed my problem. Would that version be backwards-compatible, or is it hopeless?

Try the latest one for 1.9 to see if it works better for you :)  I haven't tested in KSP 1.8.1 but I think it should work fine.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, jrodriguez said:

Try the latest one for 1.9 to see if it works better for you :)  I haven't tested in KSP 1.8.1 but I think it should work fine.

The latest version seems to work, thanks :D

I have a couple of questions about RO and PRE. Like I mentioned, I play with RSS, meaning the distance scale is much larger than stock. In your experience, which is the maximum "safe" range for relatively simple rockets such as first stages? Would RTLS/ASDS landings be feasible (so something like a physics bubble with 500~700km in diameter?)

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but since the game coordinates are centered on the active vessel, and assuming I have a large physics range, wouldn't that make big ships and stations that are loaded at such distances to be immediatly broken apart due to floating-point precision errors (AKA the kraken?)

6 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

The latest version seems to work, thanks :D

I have a couple of questions about RO and PRE. Like I mentioned, I play with RSS, meaning the distance scale is much larger than stock. In your experience, which is the maximum "safe" range for relatively simple rockets such as first stages? Would RTLS/ASDS landings be feasible (so something like a physics bubble with 500~700km in diameter?)

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but since the game coordinates are centered on the active vessel, and assuming I have a large physics range, wouldn't that make big ships and stations that are loaded at such distances to be immediatly broken apart due to floating-point precision errors (AKA the kraken?)

It is tricky question to be honest, the good thing is that if you are following me in Youtube you might already know that I might the best the person to answer it :cool:

My suggestions are:
- Try to minimise the max distances to the floating origin as much as you can by for example having a ship loaded at half of the max distance and load a savegame focusing that ship instead. 

- Having a vessel either landed or flying around using an autopilot mod (bdarmory AI or mechjeb autopilot) is a good idea. This will allow you to always have the terrain properly loaded and you can switch to this vessel before the booster touchdown to ensure the ground is loaded and ready (KSP doesn't like to have multiple vessel loaded at such distances, and PRE terrain extender is a hack that might or might not always work)

-  At > 500 km and when getting close to 1000 km Mechjeb will really struggle to continue piloting a vessel (I have some videos you can take a look  to see what I mean). 500 km will not RUD your vessel but at 1000km a RUD can happen so my suggestion is to switch to your 2nd/3rd stage as soon you have the booster landed. 

- Finally if you are in orbit I suggest to reduce the loading range to something like 100 km in case that you plan to do a reentry and land a probe close to where the boosters landed, this will avoid a likely RUD of the boosters when they get loaded by PRE.

1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

It is tricky question to be honest, the good thing is that if you are following me in Youtube you might already know that I might the best the person to answer it :cool:

My suggestions are:
- Try to minimise the max distances to the floating origin as much as you can by for example having a ship loaded at half of the max distance and load a savegame focusing that ship instead. 

- Having a vessel either landed or flying around using an autopilot mod (bdarmory AI or mechjeb autopilot) is a good idea. This will allow you to always have the terrain properly loaded and you can switch to this vessel before the booster touchdown to ensure the ground is loaded and ready (KSP doesn't like to have multiple vessel loaded at such distances, and PRE terrain extender is a hack that might or might not always work)

-  At > 500 km and when getting close to 1000 km Mechjeb will really struggle to continue piloting a vessel (I have some videos you can take a look  to see what I mean). 500 km will not RUD your vessel but at 1000km a RUD can happen so my suggestion is to switch to your 2nd/3rd stage as soon you have the booster landed. 

- Finally if you are in orbit I suggest to reduce the loading range to something like 100 km in case that you plan to do a reentry and land a probe close to where the boosters landed, this will avoid a likely RUD of the boosters when they get loaded by PRE.

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I looked through your channel (btw, congrats on the new sub :D) and this one got my attention. It's remarkable that the mod seems to perform well enough over hundreds of kms of downrange distance; that being said, was the wobbliness near the end of the video caused by PRE or Mechjeb piloting?

8 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I looked through your channel (btw, congrats on the new sub :D) and this one got my attention. It's remarkable that the mod seems to perform well enough over hundreds of kms of downrange distance; that being said, was the wobbliness near the end of the video caused by PRE or Mechjeb piloting?

Wobbliness near the end is a consequence of the floating precision, every Unity math operation is losing precision due to PRE range is like 2000 km and the target vessel is quite far already (maybe 1000 km or more?)  that means everything from Mechjeb to KSP it self will struggle to perform normal operations

On 5/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, In7ane said:

Hi, in my case range extender causes some issues with terrain. When it is enabled, terrain starts to blink green/black. When i disable the mod, everything goes back to normal. I tried to search solution online, but coudnt find any. Printscreen below.

Getting scatterer (which is a graphics mod) fixed it for me and made the graphics even better

• 1 month later...

Just popping by to mention that this works just fine in 1.10.1.

I'd also like to ask if there's no alternatives to focus-switching when encountering a new vehicle to load? I've poked around in the code and done some modifications to that process but haven't found anything conclusive. It can be a real problem when PRE wrestles controls away from your plane at high speed, causing a rapid unplanned disassembly in mid-air.

17 minutes ago, Inertia said:

Just popping by to mention that this works just fine in 1.10.1.

I'd also like to ask if there's no alternatives to focus-switching when encountering a new vehicle to load? I've poked around in the code and done some modifications to that process but haven't found anything conclusive. It can be a real problem when PRE wrestles controls away from your plane at high speed, causing a rapid unplanned disassembly in mid-air.

Yeah it is a tricky scenario that I'd like to improve.  I made the decision of switching focus to a landed vessel  when is being loaded because otherwise it might be possible that the terrain is not getting loaded and the landed vessel will crash/RUD due to this.

I could add a UI option to disable the vessel switching and let the users deal with unfortunate events.

9 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Yeah it is a tricky scenario that I'd like to improve.  I made the decision of switching focus to a landed vessel  when is being loaded because otherwise it might be possible that the terrain is not getting loaded and the landed vessel will crash/RUD due to this.

I could add a UI option to disable the vessel switching and let the users deal with unfortunate events.

That's quite an unfortunate scenario. As i mentioned i poked around some in the source code where i did some changes and built my own version of the mod. If you don't switch the focus the vehicle being loaded is almost sure to phase through the ground though i had mixed results on this. I'm not read into the intricacies of KSP modding but it seems quite strange that there's no other function able to ensure the ground loads without having to switch focus, are these hidden by the engine?

A UI option to disable vessel switching would be nice as this would, at least, not be necessary when in the air or in space!

I'd message you directly as to not clutter up this thread, but sadly i haven't actually made 5 posts yet, despite this account being 7 years old.

Edited by Inertia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

One adjusts the physics range and the other changes something about the camera I just set it to 0 because it causes glitching for me if I set it above 0.

OK. Thanks.

I'm experiencing a sort of game-breaking bug with this mod, in 1.9
I use it because it's required with BD Armory. However, the bug occurs when I'm reverting a flight to launch, or flying in LKO nearby Kerbin.
I have an external command module sitting on the grass right outside of KSC (it broke off of a rover that I was testing), and each time I revert my flight to launch, or fly near KSC, my vessel immediately switches from the one I was piloting, to the external command module. At the top of my screen, it says: "[PhysicsRangeExtender]Extending terrain: lifting vessels."
Could you please fix this?

2 hours ago, Tortoise said:

I'm experiencing a sort of game-breaking bug with this mod, in 1.9
I use it because it's required with BD Armory. However, the bug occurs when I'm reverting a flight to launch, or flying in LKO nearby Kerbin.
I have an external command module sitting on the grass right outside of KSC (it broke off of a rover that I was testing), and each time I revert my flight to launch, or fly near KSC, my vessel immediately switches from the one I was piloting, to the external command module. At the top of my screen, it says: "[PhysicsRangeExtender]Extending terrain: lifting vessels."
Could you please fix this?

It is not a bug, in fact the switching is done on purpose if the vessel that is going to be loaded is not debris, to avoid that the just loaded vessel can collide with the unloaded terrain.

You can disable the terrain extender on the pre settings file but as you can guess, the terrain will not be present and the command module will likely be erased by the Kraken itself

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I have release a new version of PRE for KSP 1.11:

= v1.20.0

• Recompiled for KSP 1.11.0
  • Improved physics ease/landing method when TerrainExtender is Enabled

You can find it here: https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.20.0

Hi, the version file indicates compatibility with no versions:

"KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
    "MAJOR": 1,
	  "MINOR": 11,
	  "PATCH": 99
  },
  "KSP_VERSION_MAX": {
  }

The min and the max are both the same and there is no actual KSP 1.11.99 version.

50 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

},
  }

The min and the max are both the same and there is no actual KSP 1.11.99 version.

ups, my bad! Thanks for the heads up

53 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

},
  }

Now it is fixed, code pushed to the repo and binaries updated.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.