[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

5 hours ago, yeetbot4000 said:

Having a similar issue to the guy on October 6th, except i'm flying  a ship over the mun and it switches to a flag that i had planted while saying "extending terrain: focusing landed vessels".

I will need to add some logic to avoid switching to flags. The switch is expected for normal vessels. Basically it is a way to do a "physics ease" for those vessels that are landed and entering into Physics zone.

9 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

I will need to add some logic to avoid switching to flags. The switch is expected for normal vessels. Basically it is a way to do a "physics ease" for those vessels that are landed and entering into Physics zone.

brilliant, thanks! any idea when the patch will come out if you don't mind me asking?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saludos! I have a slightly unusual question for you. Another mod called HullCamVDS has a problem on my system, and other people have it too. It's a problem where the screen appears to flash when the cams are active while the sun is out and the altitude of the camera is something less than 2k. Anyway, another user reported in that thread that your mod has a camera fix option that also fixes the HullCam flashing problem. This seemed like an odd connection, so I came to investigate.

I noticed your method UpdateNearClipPlane() mentions a flickering fix. When you have a free moment, would you mind commenting on what you were addressing with that fix? Do you think the problem I mentioned above has anything to do with things you addressed in your mod, too? LGG was able to confirm the flashing, so I was hoping there might be a clue here.

Thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone is still encountering this, but even at a relatively low distance (50km), I'm still getting landed vessels phasing into the ground and exploding upon being loaded.  I'm doing this with BDA for Runway Project (v1.4.4.4 IIRC) and it makes the mod pretty much pointless for me.  Sometimes when the camera switches to a vessel being loaded, I might be able to save it by using VesselMover, but that sometimes just causes it to explode instantly.

Also, when loading vessels in weird places (i.e. underground), they become just far enough away that the vessels which flew close enough to load them in unload themselves!  I'm not using RSS/RSO, so I have no need for 2000+km distances, but not working at small distances is still getting on my nerves over time.  I have a recording I made with OBS that demonstrates the issue that I should have a link for soon.

Video demo link: 

Edited by GKSP
video link

5 hours ago, GKSP said:

I'm not sure if anyone is still encountering this, but even at a relatively low distance (50km), I'm still getting landed vessels phasing into the ground and exploding upon being loaded.  I'm doing this with BDA for Runway Project (v1.4.4.4 IIRC) and it makes the mod pretty much pointless for me.  Sometimes when the camera switches to a vessel being loaded, I might be able to save it by using VesselMover, but that sometimes just causes it to explode instantly.

Also, when loading vessels in weird places (i.e. underground), they become just far enough away that the vessels which flew close enough to load them in unload themselves!  I'm not using RSS/RSO, so I have no need for 2000+km distances, but not working at small distances is still getting on my nerves over time.  I have a recording I made with OBS that demonstrates the issue that I should have a link for soon.

Video demo link: 

Not sure if this is the case, but there is known issue in PRE in which if a Vessel X is entering the Physics Range but there is a Vessel Y that is within the physics range of X  but is not in the range of your active vessel then...BOOM!

There is no fix for this and my suggestion is to increase the physics range until all the vessels that you want to interact with are within physics radius

Edited by jrodriguez

• 2 weeks later...

The mod is awesome, its perfect in combination with KOS and the suicide burn scripts i wrote. But there are 1,5 Problems.

The first one is that Orbits randomly change, sometimes after a Maneuver Node, sometimes other crafts Orbit( like my Space Station, RIP Bob ) .
I saw that from other users as well. I haven't realized a pattern, when the orbits are changing, but its unluckly often :/.
Sometimes the Vessel im controlling is falling to the ground while warping, although im in orbit. Wasn't quite sure if this is PRE or just KSP Time Warping.
But when i couldn't find my Space Station and a Satellite, which were both in LEO, and that reminded me of the Post i mentioned before. 

The Post i mentioned: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6rthqk/what_is_going_on_here/

The half problem is heavy flickering and slight shaking in Orbit. Its not Gamebreaking,  but still a little bit disturbing while performing Burns.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, Unilif said:

The mod is awesome, its perfect in combination with KOS and the suicide burn scripts i wrote. But there are 1,5 Problems.

The first one is that Orbits randomly change, sometimes after a Maneuver Node, sometimes other crafts Orbit( like my Space Station, RIP Bob ) .
I saw that from other users as well. I haven't realized a pattern, when the orbits are changing, but its unluckly often :/.
Sometimes the Vessel im controlling is falling to the ground while warping, although im in orbit. Wasn't quite sure if this is PRE or just KSP Time Warping.
But when i couldn't find my Space Station and a Satellite, which were both in LEO, and that reminded me of the Post i mentioned before. 

The Post i mentioned: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6rthqk/what_is_going_on_here/

The half problem is heavy flickering and slight shaking in Orbit. Its not Gamebreaking,  but still a little bit disturbing while performing Burns.

PRE has a lot of issues and most part of them are due to the fact that it is trying to hack the stock ranges, during these years I have tried to prevent or minimize these side effects but as you have described there are several remaining issues.

I will invest some time soon  to prevent these scenarios but I can't do any promise to be honest.

Finally, I can give some tips to minimize your issues:

- PRE is not meant to be used as your daily driver mod, but as a mod that you use for specific scenarios like:

• Watching a launch to orbit from the ground
  • Landing boosters while the 2nd stage goes to orbit
  • Having two planes flying at 100 km.

- There are some specific scenarios that can trigger physics issues and that are not recommended:

• Active vessel landed and  a satellite enters physics range or goes out of range. This could end up deorbiting the satellite.
  • Active vessel suborbital  and a landed vessel enters physics range.
  • High speed (> 1000 m/s)  and great distance ( > 100km) difference with a vessel that is about to enter physics range
  • Active vessel ascending suborbital about to change inertial plane and a vessel still landed on the ground when the inertial plane changes.
  • PRE range to something greater than > 500 km and vessel distance is close to that number: things will get bad once the distance starts to go beyond 500 km, from flickering up to RUD.

- My recommendation is to low the PRE range as much as possible (50km) when you don't really need it. And if you need 500 km or 1000 km for something specific then do it but ensure first that all your vessels are loaded from the very beginning. 

Edited by jrodriguez

• 2 weeks later...

BDArmory Mod is awesome I play on KSP 1.8.1, but I've noticed on physics range extender seems to not be working properly. When I fly my vessel for around 50-100 meters the other vessels seem to disappear, I have downloaded latest version of Bda mod compatible with 1.8.1 and physics range extender. Do I need to be more specific? Or is it a simple fix? Thank you.  

4 hours ago, SleepyDude21 said:

BDArmory Mod is awesome I play on KSP 1.8.1, but I've noticed on physics range extender seems to not be working properly. When I fly my vessel for around 50-100 meters the other vessels seem to disappear, I have downloaded latest version of Bda mod compatible with 1.8.1 and physics range extender. Do I need to be more specific? Or is it a simple fix? Thank you.  

Which version of PRE are you using, if the vessel is disappearing then your PRE is not working. 

• 2 months later...

Hello!

Sorry if the question has been answered before, but I play on RSS and I'm a bit wary of using PRE to recover stages. I did a trial run with a small Castor 120 rocket that successfully parachuted to the ocean while the second stage was about 5,000km away (range set to 10,000km).

This is very promising for what I intend on doing with the mod, but what would happen if a space station with a lot of parts flies overhead and enters the physics bubble? I reckon it would be subjected to float-point errors/jitter/kraken, so is it possible to only apply extended physics range to one vessel (via their control point, for instance)?

Thanks in advance :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, Tonas1997 said:

Hello!

Sorry if the question has been answered before, but I play on RSS and I'm a bit wary of using PRE to recover stages. I did a trial run with a small Castor 120 rocket that successfully parachuted to the ocean while the second stage was about 5,000km away (range set to 10,000km).

This is very promising for what I intend on doing with the mod, but what would happen if a space station with a lot of parts flies overhead and enters the physics bubble? I reckon it would be subjected to float-point errors/jitter/kraken, so is it possible to only apply extended physics range to one vessel (via their control point, for instance)?

Thanks in advance :)

No it is not possible at the moment, but I might implement something like that in the near future.

Hi all,

I just released a new version recompiled for KSP 1.12.2.

https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.21.0

• 4 weeks later...

This mod sounds perfect for those times where you want to recover a stage that you deorbit from kerbin.

But say, what's the physics range default to KSP?
For the times I'll be using it, i'll be switching it on when I want to deorbit a part and it not perishing in atmosphere like usual ksp stuff do, but then switching it off.

What's the default ksp physics range?

On 10/2/2021 at 11:04 AM, Alexsys said:

This mod sounds perfect for those times where you want to recover a stage that you deorbit from kerbin.

But say, what's the physics range default to KSP?
For the times I'll be using it, i'll be switching it on when I want to deorbit a part and it not perishing in atmosphere like usual ksp stuff do, but then switching it off.

What's the default ksp physics range?

2.4km default

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, aphesh2567 said:

I have a complaint, But when im doing a Multi landing with a lander nearby the Landed Lander, Glitches up resulting The lander to make a arch alike Orbit going Down into the surface.

It glitches my Landing game.

Do you have the PRE terrain extender option enabled or disabled? (You can check it on the presettings.cfg file within the mod folder)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@jrodriguez A short question. When I place targets on the ground and then fly with my attack plane to them and enter the set physics range the objects on the ground glitch out and are place on some very wild places and trajectories.

What can I do against it? I could set the physics range to large values (e.g. 600km for all around kerbin), but that would also mean, that my orbital stations around kerbin would also be loaded at all times (and also having the long-range-PRE-bugs that you mentioned in your OP), when I have PRE active to do some BDA-Missions (like doing a long range cruise missile "mission").

Any advice? E.g does it make sense to PRE to a very short physics distance (10km), so that the ground objects are just loaded just before impact of a bomb/cruise missile etc? Or would this result in the same displacement effects, upon entering the physics range of the ground placed objects.

Edited by Rakete

23 minutes ago, Rakete said:

@jrodriguez A short question. When I place targets on the ground and then fly with my attack plane to them and enter the set physics range the objects on the ground glitch out and are place on some very wild places and trajectories.

What can I do against it? I could set the physics range to large values (e.g. 600km for all around kerbin), but that would also mean, that my orbital stations around kerbin would also be loaded at all times (and also having the long-range-PRE-bugs that you mentioned in your OP), when I have PRE active to do some BDA-Missions (like doing a long range cruise missile "mission").

Any advice? E.g does it make sense to PRE to a very short physics distance (10km), so that the ground objects are just loaded just before impact of a bomb/cruise missile etc? Or would this result in the same displacement effects, upon entering the physics range of the ground placed objects.

PRE is not really meant or support daily Kerbin operations. I would not suggest to have it active at all moments. However I suggest to use it only for specific missions or scenarios that requires to have a extended loaded range. For example been able to have a landed planed at KSC runways while flying on the island.

Having PRE set to 10 kms is not really useful (would be as stock) and having PRE set to 600 km is tricky I'd only suggest that if your saved game doesn't have any satellites or things you don't want to lose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.