[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

1 hour ago, bobbiac said:

So in theory, this mod would allow me to do SpaceX style recovery of stages, correct?

For that, you might find this mod better suited:
Even tho title says for KSP 1.1.0, at then end of the thread there are links for unofficial, working versions for latest versions of KSP

1 hour ago, bobbiac said:

So in theory, this mod would allow me to do SpaceX style recovery of stages, correct?

Yes, the extended range will allow to use other mods like Mechjeb or TCA to land a vessel remotely or even to do the ascent path remotely ( TCA support this, but Mechjeb doesn't)

I recommend to still on your active vessel until the maneuver is executed (deorbit burn for example) then you can switch to a landed vessel  or flying plane close to your landing target (to avoid collision to unloaded terrain) or you can just  switch to your first stage before landing. 

7 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

For that, you might find this mod better suited:
Even tho title says for KSP 1.1.0, at then end of the thread there are links for unofficial, working versions for latest versions of KSP

LinuxGuruGamer has taken up dev of this mod and has official releases for 1.3

Hey, for your SA, I'm not looking for help:

I was getting a glitch when I tried to rendezvous two vessels around Minmus. When I approached the old physics range (I think), both vessels were flung on an escape trajectory. Removing this mod solved the issue.

On 2017-6-27 at 10:41 PM, lolstock said:

Hey, for your SA, I'm not looking for help:

I was getting a glitch when I tried to rendezvous two vessels around Minmus. When I approached the old physics range (I think), both vessels were flung on an escape trajectory. Removing this mod solved the issue.

Thanks for the feedback, Would you mind opening an issue here https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/issues . I will try to reproduce it.

BTW you don't need to delete the mod, the mod has a button to disable/enable or changing the ranges.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

just to report that sadly I'm seeing frequent (as in almost every time) de-orbits of probe-flights.
I've not changed anything except after I learned this COULD happen with this mod and now I'm forced to disable it every first time I fly anything during a new session.  
It then no longer happens, and I've tested it a few times so I'm relatively sure PRE is the culprit if not part of the issue.
Can I assist with any form of logging when it occurs to solve the issue?
I have a huuuuuuuuuuuuge modlist;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lud1991yqyq7hd8/output_log.txt?dl=0

so I say "relatively".

12 minutes ago, RHodeidra said:

Hey,

just to report that sadly I'm seeing frequent (as in almost every time) de-orbits of probe-flights.
I've not changed anything except after I learned this COULD happen with this mod and now I'm forced to disable it every first time I fly anything during a new session.  
It then no longer happens, and I've tested it a few times so I'm relatively sure PRE is the culprit if not part of the issue.
Can I assist with any form of logging when it occurs to solve the issue?
I have a huuuuuuuuuuuuge modlist;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lud1991yqyq7hd8/output_log.txt?dl=0

so I say "relatively".

Thanks for the feedback. This issue has been already reported and I'm working at the moment on a fix for it. 

I will send a testing version as soon as I have something working. 

Edited by jrodriguez

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that I have released a new version of PRE fixing a critical issue, besides several improvements have been implement in order to prevent possible issues when the range is extended. 

Changelog:

• Fixes de-orbit vessels when entering Global Range distance.
  • Unload landed or splashed vessels to prevent its destruction when the active vessel is about to change its reference frame (from rotation to inertial).
  • If the user decide to increase the range while there are orbiting vessels unloaded.
    The new range will not be applied to these vessels to prevent de-orbiting. The game should be saved and loaded again for safety.
  • A new toggle button has been added to the UI allowing to "Force" the ranges, overriding all the safety checks.
    (This may cause undesired effects like orbiting vessels de-orbit or landed vessels destruction)
  • New screen messages have been added to inform the user about events.
  • PRE icon visible in all scenes

Download:

https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.5.0

On 18/9/2017 at 8:43 PM, FreeThinker said:

@jrodriguez Question, is there any method to detect physics range in game (by c# code)

Hi,

Yes, you can do it.

A Vessel instance has a property called vesselRanges which specify the different load/unload/pack/unpack distance in meters for each of the different vessel situations.

Example:

FlightGlobals.Vessels[i].vesselRanges.GetSituationRanges(Vessel.Situations.FLYING).load

This code will give you the distance in meters at which the  vessel  (i) will be loaded during flight.

11 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

What do you mean with active?

It will return the correct number when modified by your mod. What will be the distance when unlimidet? Double.PositiveInfinity?

I need to know so I can take it into account for my own mod

Edited by FreeThinker

54 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It will return the correct number when modified by your mod. What will be the distance when unlimidet? Double.PositiveInfinity?

I need to know so I can take it into account for my own mod

My mod applies the following modification

_globalSituation = new VesselRanges.Situation(
                load: PreSettings.GlobalRange * 1000,
                unload: PreSettings.GlobalRange * 1000 * 1.05f, 
                pack: PreSettings.GlobalRange * 1000 * 1.10f,
                unpack: PreSettings.GlobalRange * 1000 * 0.99f);
            _landedSituation = new VesselRanges.Situation(
                load: PreSettings.RangeForLandedVessels * 1000,
                unload: PreSettings.RangeForLandedVessels * 1000 * 1.05f,
                pack: PreSettings.RangeForLandedVessels * 1000 * 1.10f,
                unpack: PreSettings.RangeForLandedVessels * 1000 * 0.99f);

Where PreSettings.GlobalRange and PreSettings.RangeForLandedVessels are extended ranges defined by the user (default values are 100 and 10) and are stored on the settings.cfg

• 1 month later...

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes lately and the last thing I see on my screen every time is text saying something along the lines "[PhysicsRangeExtender] Ground vessels will not be loaded" and then BAM!! Lock up and crash. 

I am new to KSP, so unsure of how to find out the exact cause, but it can't be a coincidence seeing that exact same text every time. It only seems to happen when in solar system map view. Seems fine out of it and can get past the crash point.

Logs are attached if you need them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h2axrsphbcprqc/error.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bb9e33uv22srb3/output_log.txt?dl=0

1 hour ago, Be4st said:

I seem to be getting a lot of crashes lately and the last thing I see on my screen every time is text saying something along the lines "[PhysicsRangeExtender] Ground vessels will not be loaded" and then BAM!! Lock up and crash. 

I am new to KSP, so unsure of how to find out the exact cause, but it can't be a coincidence seeing that exact same text every time. It only seems to happen when in solar system map view. Seems fine out of it and can get past the crash point.

Logs are attached if you need them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h2axrsphbcprqc/error.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bb9e33uv22srb3/output_log.txt?dl=0

I have reviewed at your output log file and you are getting dozens of exception from several mods (Kopernics and FAR throwing more than others)

I suggest cleaning your KSP installation and ensure all the mods installed are compatible with KSP 1.3.1

11 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

I have reviewed at your output log file and you are getting dozens of exception from several mods (Kopernics and FAR throwing more than others)

I suggest cleaning your KSP installation and ensure all the mods installed are compatible with KSP 1.3.1

Kopernicus and FAR are upto date and reportedly compatible. KSP AVC does flag a few mods saying they are built to run on 1.3, but I have read from others that they work just fine. One in particular (Loading Screen Manager) is a dependency for GPP and is bundled with the install by Galileo himself, so I can assume that that is fine. Though AVC flags those, it does pop up another windows saying that the only incompatible mod is Procedural parts, but that works fine and others have said it's ok. I would hate to remove that as all my satellites are built using procedural fuel tanks.

Looking through the log myself, I can also see Trajectories throwing errors. I suspected originally that it was that as it always crashed in low orbit. The text popup on screen referring to PRE drew me away from that idea. Is it possible that there's an incompatibility with both Trajectories and PRE?

Edited by Be4st

This mod also allow to reduce the physics range? In my play-style I see no point in load vessels more than 300m, and a I like to build planetary bases with rovers, return rockets, a place for debris... Would be nice if I can place those things around 300m from the main base and improve FPS.

On 29/10/2017 at 11:30 AM, Be4st said:

Kopernicus and FAR are upto date and reportedly compatible. KSP AVC does flag a few mods saying they are built to run on 1.3, but I have read from others that they work just fine. One in particular (Loading Screen Manager) is a dependency for GPP and is bundled with the install by Galileo himself, so I can assume that that is fine. Though AVC flags those, it does pop up another windows saying that the only incompatible mod is Procedural parts, but that works fine and others have said it's ok. I would hate to remove that as all my satellites are built using procedural fuel tanks.

Looking through the log myself, I can also see Trajectories throwing errors. I suspected originally that it was that as it always crashed in low orbit. The text popup on screen referring to PRE drew me away from that idea. Is it possible that there's an incompatibility with both Trajectories and PRE?

I don't really think so. The popup screen is just a info message for users to know that the landed vessels are going to be unloaded (regarless of the range defined) to avoid problems due to KSP limitations. 

27 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

This mod also allow to reduce the physics range? In my play-style I see no point in load vessels more than 300m, and a I like to build planetary bases with rovers, return rockets, a place for debris... Would be nice if I can place those things around 300m from the main base and improve FPS.

uhm well the mod was intended to extend ranges and distances are calculated in Km. Maybe  you can try to introduce 0.x km on the UI, not sure if it would work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have been thinking during the last weeks that It would be nice to have an UI to show all the vessels loaded and some basic information about them like : altitude, velocity , distance, and the relative velocity. It would be a list that it will also allow you to click on a vessel and switch the vessel.

What do you think? Is it useful? Would you like to have it as a part of PRE or as a separate mod?

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.