[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

40 minutes ago, Oneiros said:

Nice work on this! :D

For ages I've wanted to just put probe cores and parachutes on my lower stages so I can manually land them while the upper stage is still approaching orbit.

StageRecovery and FMRS seem to add extra complexity to the situation - all I wanna do is fly both things at once.

Hopefully no more disappearing ships with this mod. Looking forward to trying it :)

In this video you can see how I land the first stage of a BFR while the upper stage continues with the gravity turn. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Cassel said:

I have this mod with bd armory and it has by default "1000" in input, what does it mean?

Thanks @Cassel you have discovered a mistake I did when releasing BDArmory... I recomend to set it to 100 km .  That is the max loading distance you will be able to have vessels loaded.

im getting extreme amounts of z-fighting in the latest release even when physics range is only set to 20km is there any fix or do i just have to start deleting clutter and unused vessels covering my ksc?

4 minutes ago, AtleSt said:

im getting extreme amounts of z-fighting in the latest release even when physics range is only set to 20km is there any fix or do i just have to start deleting clutter and unused vessels covering my ksc?

When there are vessels and debris landed/splashed  and the distance between your active vessel and those is > 20 km the light/space glitches start to manifest.  However, if all your planes are flying then there is no glitches.

I'm not aware of any workaround for this at the moment.

1 hour ago, Don0303 said:

yes, after looking into it more I've found they actually phase under the map and are then destroyed

I was expecting that:

Known issues

Vessels landed on normal terrain can be destroyed when the terrain starting to get unloaded - this happens usually at 20 km distance. A workaround is to place your vessel on a static objects like runways, KSC, Kerbal Konstruct statics, etc.

I kinda have a problem with my vessel crashing into the ground when i get too far away from it. It seems when I get into physics range (not global), it blows up and i find the craft somehow through the ground floating in the water beneath the terrain. i have no idea how to fix this. Help!

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the last post up top

Edited by PossiblyPrecarious

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Every single time I get near any landed vessel they explode, which makes this mod useless unfortunately.  It would be nice if you'd actually try and fix that.

Are you placing your landed vessels on static objects?

19 hours ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Every single time I get near any landed vessel they explode, which makes this mod useless unfortunately.  It would be nice if you'd actually try and fix that.

It would be nice if you were polite about it, and recognize that modders do this for free, in their spare time.

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Are you placing your landed vessels on static objects?

It's pretty useless if they must be placed on static objects, as those are hard to find through the solar system, if your mod requires other mods that ad such things to actually work correctly then why even bother?

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It would be nice if you were polite about it, and recognize that modders do this for free, in their spare time.

Well, I'd prefer they actually did a good job however, this "bug" has existed the entire life of the mod, years and years worth of just letting it remain essentially broken.

Criticism can be very constructive if one does not take it as a personal slight on themselves.

1 hour ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Criticism can be very constructive if one does not take it as a personal slight on themselves.

It also helps while providing criticism that it is done politely, and not as a demand.

I write and maintain mods myself, and it is a real disincentitive to fix bugs if they are presented as a demand

Edited by linuxgurugamer

34 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

then why even bother?

I know you meant the developer making the mod but IMO it applies just the same to you using the mod. If any mod has a bug around for a loong time it's because there either isn't a fix, or it's too much trouble for a developer in his spare time to fix (especially if a solution exists). Accept the limitations and meet in the middle. Download KerbalKonstructs and put something under the vessel. Done. The modder took a good deal of time to make and maintain the mod so it's certainly fair if you have to do a bit of legwork yourself to use it. I'd rather the author focus his limited time adding new features and fixing bugs that don't have an alternative solution

20 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

It's pretty useless if they must be placed on static objects, as those are hard to find through the solar system, if your mod requires other mods that ad such things to actually work correctly then why even bother?

Well this mod was originally developed as a means of extending BD Armory's competition range but it was decided to make it standalone so the whole community could benifit from it

41 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Well, I'd prefer they actually did a good job however, this "bug" has existed the entire life of the mod, years and years worth of just letting it remain essentially broken.

So this 'bug' is a result of how KSP is coded ... when you come upon the loading range of landed vessels the ground beneath it is not actually there due to KSP loading the craft and any statics before the planet surface is loaded rezulting in that fraction of a second where the vessel is loaded but the planet surface is not

This results in the vessel falling through the surface or exploding due to impact with the surface when it loads

As for years and years of letting it remain broken, well this mod has been around for about a year or so .... Think you are mistaking this mod for another one

48 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Criticism can be constructive if the criticism is constructive in nature, which your criticism is not IMHO

Perhaps try engaging in a discussion and do some research on the matter before laying responsibility on someone for Squads' mistake 

The problem you are having is a KSP problem that is not caused by this mod

That is all

18 hours ago, _Aramchek_ said:

if your mod requires other mods that ad such things to actually work correctly then why even bother?

[snip]

KSP modding is all about tradeoffs, you might fix/improve one thing making worst something that was working nicely before.

Even if I know a way to avoid the crashing (increasing the terrain loading distance  , tunning PQS parameters) . I made the decision to not include it yet in PRE due different unexpected behaviours when doing sub-orbital flights.

[snip] if you don't like it please feel free to uninstall this mod :)

Edited by Vanamonde

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my range set to ~25km and the jitter still happens, it seems like no matter what, the vehicle part shaking still happens. But, from what I understand, that might be getting fixed Soon-ish, which, would be excellent. All we can do is hope.

Edited by DirtyVenomSteam

7 hours ago, DirtyVenomSteam said:

I've got my range set to ~25km and the jitter still happens, it seems like no matter what, the vehicle part shaking still happens. But, from what I understand, that might be getting fixed Soon-ish, which, would be excellent. All we can do is hope.

Hi @DirtyVenomSteam , Yes I'm working on it at the moment. The next release of PRE will improve the visual flickering and also add a heavily requested feature:  that is to get the terrain loading distance extended so there is no need of static objects for landed vessels.

The BDA Team is helping me with the testing and providing useful feedback :)

Edited by jrodriguez

On 6/17/2018 at 2:58 AM, jrodriguez said:

Yes I'm working on it at the moment. The next release of PRE will improve the visual flickering and also add a heavily requested feature:  that is to get the terrain loading distance extended so there is no need of static objects for landed vessels.

Here's hoping it's out soon, then. Always gotta love a bigger physics range without consequences.

Edited by DirtyVenomSteam

Hi all,

I'm proud to announce one of the best releases of PRE so far! https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.7.0

= v1.7.0

• Recompiled and upgraded for KSP 1.4.3
  • Adding option to extend terrain loading distance (thanks to @Eidahlil). So there is no need of statics anymore!
  • Flickering fixed at 99% after applying a dynamic update of the near clip plane of the main camera.
  • Landed range removed, only one range is needed now :)
Thanks to the BDA team for the testing effort!

During the last few days I have recorded some videos testing it :)

Edited by jrodriguez

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.