[KSP 1.12.2] Physics Range Extender v1.21.0 (04 Sep 2021)

jrodriguez

4 hours ago, jpinard said:

Will this mod allow me to recover SRB's after launch that normally are deleted when they hit s specific range from the mother ship?

If your SRBs can land safely then yes, depending on whether you plan to land them on the sea (Shuttle SRBs) or perform a powered landing (Falcon 9).

However, If you want to land them on land, it is required to focus the booster, land it and then switch back to the 2nd stage.

Edited by jrodriguez

6 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

If your SRBs can land safely then yes, depending on whether you plan to land them on the sea (Shuttle SRBs) or perform a powered landing (Falcon 9).

However, If you want to land them on land, it is required to focus the booster, land it and then switch back to the 2nd stage.

I just want to drop them with parachutes.  So if I drop them and make sure the chutes will auto-deploy when I'm back controlling the mothership, they will pop their chutes and I'll have the option to pick them up after my missions is complete?  If I drop them via parachute do I need to focus them til they land as well?

Thanks for answering!

@jrodriguez

So I just installed this and it worked perfect for my touchdown (applied it mid-flight).  But when I went to launch my next vessel it instead went to my ground based Go-Eb monitor and said "lifting vessels" and proceeded to destroy it.  How can I stop this from happening?  I think I just want it to work when I'm launching rockets.  If it helps, I had them on the shore near the Kerbal Spaceport.   I have whatever was installed via CKAN and am running 1.72 version of the game.

Edited by jpinard

I've just updated to KSP 1.7.2 and have the current PRE version installed. It seems like the gravity easing that the KSP 1.6.1 version has been lost? Once vessels are loaded in, they're just dropped right onto the ground, which kind of causes things to break, unlike in 1.6.1, where it seems like gravity is eased in a bit so vessels/objects aren't slammed into the ground after PRE lifts them up.

My current workaround for this has just been to reinstall World Stabilizer.

Edited by Box of Stardust

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

I've just updated to KSP 1.7.2 and have the current PRE version installed. It seems like the gravity easing that the KSP 1.6.1 version has been lost? Once vessels are loaded in, they're just dropped right onto the ground, which kind of causes things to break, unlike in 1.6.1, where it seems like gravity is eased in a bit so vessels/objects aren't slammed into the ground after PRE lifts them up.

My current workaround for this has just been to reinstall World Stabilizer.

2 hours ago, jpinard said:

@jrodriguez

So I just installed this and it worked perfect for my touchdown (applied it mid-flight).  But when I went to launch my next vessel it instead went to my ground based Go-Eb monitor and said "lifting vessels" and proceeded to destroy it.  How can I stop this from happening?  I think I just want it to work when I'm launching rockets.  If it helps, I had them on the shore near the Kerbal Spaceport.   I have whatever was installed via CKAN and am running 1.72 version of the game.

Sorry guys I need to do  Hotfix for the latest version. I will let you know once it is ready so you can re-test.

Is it imcompatible with World Stabiliser?
I have both installed (and about a million other mods) and when i reach a landed vessel ( I have the range at 100, treid at 25 tho, the same problem) it goes underground, it does not collide with the ground.
I do not experience the switching of ships I remember from when I played back in 1.4.4.
But If I switch manually to the other ship, before World Stabiliser is done doing its thing, the ship is save and sound.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Failer

21 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Sorry guys I need to do  Hotfix for the latest version. I will let you know once it is ready so you can re-test.

Thank you @jrodriguez  This is an amazing mod.  Love it in the short time I've used it.  Look forward to the hotfix to give it another go.

One more thing; I'm not sure if it's BDA or PRE, but I'd guess that it's probably more PRE-related (though I brought it up in the BDA thread first):

1. Camera issue. In flight, the camera moves ahead of the CoM for some reason instead of staying focused on craft CoM.

2. Sound issue. Sounds are omnipresent throughout a scene; as if all engines are located right next to the camera. Seeing that the previous one is also a camera issue, I'd assume that it's maybe PRE causing this issue.

7 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

One more thing; I'm not sure if it's BDA or PRE, but I'd guess that it's probably more PRE-related (though I brought it up in the BDA thread first):

1. Camera issue. In flight, the camera moves ahead of the CoM for some reason instead of staying focused on craft CoM.

2. Sound issue. Sounds are omnipresent throughout a scene; as if all engines are located right next to the camera. Seeing that the previous one is also a camera issue, I'd assume that it's maybe PRE causing this issue.

I have seen both issues in KSP 1.7.2 only. I hope I can find a solution for it.

23 hours ago, Failer said:

Is it imcompatible with World Stabiliser?
I have both installed (and about a million other mods) and when i reach a landed vessel ( I have the range at 100, treid at 25 tho, the same problem) it goes underground, it does not collide with the ground.
I do not experience the quick switching of ships I remember from when I played back in 1.4.4.
But If I switch manually to the other ship, before World Stabiliser is done doing its thing, the ship is safe and sound.

Am I doing something wrong?

Um Hello?
Anyone else experiencing such problems ?

Ive treid it even with a clean install of the game, only extender enabled, and glitches too.

Edited by Failer

1 hour ago, Failer said:

Um Hello?
Anyone else experiencing such problems ?

Ive treid it even with a clean install of the game, only extender enabled, and glitches too.

World Stabilizer should not be used with PRE

12 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

World Stabilizer should not be used with PRE

I thought so, so I tried removing all the mods, and I installed only physics' extender, no other mod. The same happens. No jumping between vessels to pre-load them. I got ksp 1.7.1, making ground, and breaking history.

Am I missing some configs?

I remember, back when I played 1.4.4. the mod, except for switching between vessels, also lifted them up a bit for a moment or two. Now it does neither of those things. When I install World Stabiliser, iti does lift things up, but after disabling WS, physics' extender does nothing to pre-load ships.

Edited by Failer

Seems, that PRE now avoids, that the rockets can't start. It does not life up, even with a TWR of 2.0. When disabling PRE it works.
Also seems that the position is shifted. For luck there is a button to turn off/on ingame. So I turn it only of, to power land the first stage ;)

/edit: Figured out, that the terrain extension produce some problems. So I turned it off in the settings.

Edited by Gandur

3 hours ago, Gandur said:

Seems, that PRE now avoids, that the rockets can't start. It does not life up, even with a TWR of 2.0. When disabling PRE it works.
Also seems that the position is shifted. For luck there is a button to turn off/on ingame. So I turn it only of, to power land the first stage ;)

/edit: Figured out, that the terrain extension produce some problems. So I turned it off in the settings.

Yeah, if you read the previous posts you will see that there are some bugs related with the terrain extension. I still working on it. Each release is getting a bit better but still work to do.

Not sure if this was noted with the other terrain issues, but deploying ground science from the Breaking Ground expansion results in a PRE message about moving the object above ground (which results in a 10m fall and boom). Toggling off PRE when placing item prevented issue.

22 minutes ago, Neptuno said:

Not sure if this was noted with the other terrain issues, but deploying ground science from the Breaking Ground expansion results in a PRE message about moving the object above ground (which results in a 10m fall and boom). Toggling off PRE when placing item prevented issue.

I think that specific problem has been fixed on the lastest release 1.14 which I released yesterday.

https://github.com/jrodrigv/PhysicsRangeExtender/releases/tag/1.14.0

Edited by jrodriguez

I have a odd one for you.

I have a particular vehicle that, at launch, acts as though it is tethered by a string: it starts to lift off, but then halts and then slowly descends. Eventually, as various stages are expended, it begins to rise again. No - this is not a TWR issue - the craft has plenty of thrust and similarly constructed craft act normally.

I thought it might be a 'distant part' issue: when a small part, like a light or a strut is somehow part of the ship even though it is metres away from the body of the craft - I have had that happen before, and thought maybe some part was stuck under the launchpad. But no. I accounted for every part of the ship.

I was racking my brain, trying to figure out what was keeping my ship from ascending, when I decided to turn off PRE. Immediately my ship started rising into the sky. Repeated experiments proved to me that PRE, if not the cause, was a factor in keeping my kerbals from going to space today.

If you are interested, I can send you any files you may want, if you wish to explore the problem. As it is, I have a work around (turn off PRE for a few seconds), so I am not too worried about it.

Edited by Antipodes

8 hours ago, Antipodes said:

I have a odd one for you.

I have a particular vehicle that, at launch, acts as though it is tethered by a string: it starts to lift off, but then halts and then slowly descends. Eventually, as various stages are expended, it begins to rise again. No - this is not a TWR issue - the craft has plenty of thrust and similarly constructed craft act normally.

I thought it might be a 'distant part' issue: when a small part, like a light or a strut is somehow part of the ship even though it is metres away from the body of the craft - I have had that happen before, and thought maybe some part was stuck under the launchpad. But no. I accounted for every part of the ship.

I was racking my brain, trying to figure out what was keeping my ship from ascending, when I decided to turn off PRE. Immediately my ship started rising into the sky. Repeated experiments proved to me that PRE, if not the cause, was a factor in keeping my kerbals from going to space today.

If you are interested, I can send you any files you may want, if you wish to explore the problem. As it is, I have a work around (turn off PRE for a few seconds), so I am not too worried about it.

Thanks, yes I saw it yesterday when doing some testing.

I'd like to fix it on the next release that I'd like to do this weekend.

Stay tuned!

Anybody else notice a big increase in Electricity usage since the update when PRE is on?  I've found some of my craft are using 50x more power.  I noticed as my KOS module runs out of power, killing my programs.  So it could be specific to KOS too.  I can fix it by turning off PRE, but that work around obviously makes the far craft unusable.  To complicate things, I've been running these scenarios in the KRASH simulator, since I'm running Kerbal Construction Time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.