nick533a

How to control class E asteroid... cannot follow manouvre node without going off course

Question

Hi.

I have my direction of travel lined up perfectly with centre of mass. as close to centre as eyeballing it allows. i have RCS thrusters but when i thrust forward even 1/3 power with nuke engines the ship will veer off course with no way to bring it back other than shutting off engines and re-aligning.

is there a mod for fine tuning centre of mass or anything which helps control asteroid trajectories?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Try unlocking claw, target center of mass, SAS to target :targetpro:, relock claw, SAS to maneuver:maneuver:. That works for me.

The issue suggests me that the center of trust isn't aligned with the center of mass.

As Brent said, target the center of mass and try again.

Alternate to Brent's solution is to make a puller, unlock the grabber so it can pivot and use engines mounted away from asteroid.

You can also make additional grabber craft with SAS/RCS and attach them around the asteroid.

Edited by Bornholio

11 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Alternate to Brent's solution is to make a puller, unlock the grabber so it can pivot and use engines mounted away from asteroid.

If using this method, make sure you put your engines far enough away from the asteroid, or it will cause thrust issues.