This is what happens when you try to create negative mass

quasarrgames

I'm not really sure where to post this, but i thought some of you might like it.

I found a way to make negative mass in stock KSP.

The results were... interesting

To sum up the video if you don't want to see it:

Negative mass: Creates an immovable cosmic anchor that slowly sinks through the ground

Zero mass: Teleports your craft into the sun

Positive mass that's less than it should be: I'm still not even sure

How to make negative mass yourself:

1-save a single fuel or ore tank as a subassembly

2-go to saves>your save>subassemblies and open the file with notepad

3-scroll down to where it lists fuel information for the tank, and set the fuel to some negative number

Hope you enjoyed!

I dabbled with a negative mass generator once long ago, in the age of the souposphere, by creating a resource that had negative mass and a converter that created it via electricity.

It worked to a degree, but when your fuel hit zero mass, it generated zero thrust.

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

This is kind of exploitation of kerbal physics I like

Hmmmm except you're not exploiting the physics, you're completely changing the coding in a game file. 

"Exploiting the physics" would be more accurate to say, if this did NOT require you to open a game file in notepad and change a line to something it would never be.

I'm not saying it's not cool though.

Edited by jros83

14 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

I'm not really sure where to post this, but i thought some of you might like it.

I found a way to make negative mass in stock KSP.

The results were... interesting

Have you tried cheating it into an orbit? Could be a slightly less Kraken-baiting way of fixing a vessel into a false stationary orbit.

This is normal bug, if you have two mass-modifying mods, that can operate on single part (anything containing resource)

For example FAR lets you modify weight of part - lighter wings are easier to break (if its wings, and yes I'm using dev build) and KSPI-E allows you to switch between different fuels

You can see result in Kerbal Engineer mod.

Solution would be: FAR touches only dry mass for its wings (happens only if wing can contain resource). @ferram4 @FreeThinker

Or KSPI-E gets sane dry/wet mass scaling.

Tagging you here because no idea where report this bug.

You can probably recreate these results with SMURFF, Modular Fuel Tanks, Real Fuels and other resource mods.

Oh also did I mention Tweakscale? Resizing parts can have funny consequences like negative mass too.

Best bet would be:

Tweakscale sets mass first.

Then resource mods adjusts dry/wet mass separately.

Finally FAR can adjust dry mass of wings, that was already changed by other mods.

Looks like when Ferram makes air great again and Freethinker makes space great again somewhere mass calculation was broken ;^)

Edited by raxo2222

Theoretically, a negative mass should move in the opposite direction to the applied force. Which means normal gravity still makes it fall - the force is upwards, but the motion downwards, a double negative making a positive and all that. But a rocket engine would 'pull' the mass into the thrust. It doesn't appear that Kerbal models this correctly though, unsurprisingly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.