MAD - Aerospace Parts (v0.6.1) KSP 1.8+

Citizen247

The Ministry of Space (Aeronautics Department) (MAD) proudly presents it's first product!

No dependencies, but works well with FAR. Uses stock mk1 IVA.

Download

Parts:

Spoiler

Inline "Razorback" version of the stock inline cockpit
Inline T40 "Greenhouse" Razorback (Now with IVA)
Inline Bubble (Now with IVA)
Tandem side-by-side Bubble cockpit with IVA
Tandem side-by-side razorback cockpit with IVA

Surface attached  razor back single seat bubble cockpit with IVA
Surface attached  razor back single seat fighter cockpit with IVA
Surface attached  razor back dual seat fighter cockpit with IVA

Oval fuel tank
Oval long and short structural fuselage
Short Oval to mk1 (1.25m) adapter
Short and long Oval to 0.625m adapter
short and long Oval to 0.9375m adapter
Oval 5 degree slant adapters

0.625m and 0.9375m Long Razorback spine piece
0.625m and 0.9375m Short Razorback spine piece
0.625m and 0.9375m Long Razorback tapered end piece
0.625m and 0.9375m Short Razorback tapered end piece
0.625m and 0.9375m Razorback spine air intake
0.625m and 0.9375m Razorback spine airbrakes

0.9375m to 0.625m Long Spine adaptor
0.9375m to 0.625m Short Spine adaptor

Pointed nose cone
Rounded nose cone
Under nose air intake

Oval Circular stack mounted air-intake
Oval Super-Sabre style stack mounted air-intake
Oval Cone stack mounted air intake
Oval Ramp stack mounted air-intake 

Oval Short Nose Cone
Oval Long Nose Cone
Oval Long Drooped Nose Cone

Short and Long 1.25m fuselage surface attached ladders

Mod Compatibility:

AJE
Tweakscale

Known bugs:

Spoiler

None

Options:

Spoiler

Module Manager Fuel configs for spine parts

Planned:

Spoiler

Planned:

• More Razorback spines, adaptors and sizes
  • More Nosecones
  • WW2 style Bomber cockpits
  • Large and small "oval" parts
  • Air-intakes, especially for attachment to razorback spines
  • Airbrakes
  • Surface attach cockpits
  • More Surface mount ladders

Nice to have:

• Improved IVA
  • More IVA props
  • Jet and prop engines

And Possibly:

• modular cockpits
  • IVAs changing with technology level?
  • WW2 transport/Bomber style landing gear

Planned Mod compatibility:

• RealFuels
  • RPM

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Licence: LGPLv3

Edited by Citizen247
updating to version 0.6 - Tested with KSP 1.4.5

Very cool. Look like the English Electric Lightning.

Tell me, is this just the one part, or it includes the fairings that complete the "razor" of this razorback? 

Btw, "stryker" cockpit mods did something similar, with the "two nodes in the back of the cockpit to attach a specific fairing" and whatnot. Those razor parts fit your cockpit?

The cockpit looks great btw, congrats!

Thanks all.

@Daniel Prates At the moment it's just the one part. My next job will be to produce some razorback parts. In the meantime clipping size 0 parts works (in stock and my heavily modded game), or the stryker (which gave me the initial idea for this) razorback parts fit surprisingly well too:

screenshot262_zpsauwgilaa.png

screenshot0_zpsp5dtrfba.png

screenshot29_zpsotsiiicn.png

@mechanicH Any ideas gratefully received. I can't promise I'll do anything with them but I can promise I consider it :D.

Once you think you are good enough, could you attempt this?

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Free candy if you do :)

Spoiler

APRIL FOOLS! YOU DON'T GET CANDY!!!

You get cookies :)

2 hours ago, Skyer said:

P 47 With razorback???

yes...
and actually, you could probably make one that could be used for that P-47, AND a P-40...

And, what about a two-seater, such as:

p40f.jpg

201b85f9795deed575706c4acb3fc269.jpg

Edited by Stone Blue

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

And, what about a two-seater, such as:

I'm planning on doing some sort of modular cockpit (if I can get it to work) where you can construct cockpits from a few different front and end pieces and an arbitrary number of manned middle sections. IF it'll work I'd prefer to do that for stretched cockpits.

10 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

lol... that didnt take long... :P

:) The modelling was fairly straight-forward, I just built it off of the stock mk1, though I largely rebuilt the entire geometry, that's easier (and quicker) than starting from scratch. Texture mapping took twice as long. I'm trying to just reuse stock textures, so the mod isn't too heavy. The downside is that it's hard sometimes to get a good map because the texture wasn't painted for your geometry. The UV's still aren't perfect, but I want to see what it's like in game before I spend more time getting it perfect. If it doesn't notice, it's good enough.

The first cockpit was literally just the stock model imported into Blender, edited and exported with the .mu blender plugin. That works, but it means I'm relying on the existing ladders and hatches, and I can't do animations (like lights) because the .mu export doesn't support them. I could release this cockpit right now using the same route, but I want to do it properly (i.e. importing into unity) as a learning exercise as much as anything.

Technical History : Truth told there is only ONE aircraft family that has a Razor-back or Razorback as it is oft written.   P-47. P-43 Lancer, and P-35s all by Seversky/Republic.   Their fuselage spine comes to an almost sharp point.  The P-40Ns picture above are round topped for example.   All other "non bubble" cockpit aircraft are just that.  Aircraft with a faired or Aerodynamic Bubble.   If you look at the P-47D-20 picture above you can clearly see the top of the fuselage comes to a POINT not rounded.

Beyond that, This is an awesome start to a Mod. As a suggestion.  Maybe Try 0.9375m Fuselage parts/Cockpits to make our Fighters less Portly and more aerodynamic just like real life?   This size is already in other mods (most notably BlueDog Design Bureau.)

Also a suggestion,.  If you are making Spine parts,  Make one that is an air intake (instead of sitting behind the Cockpit.)   This would make a Good Turbo-Supercharger intake for the R-2800 on the P-47 above (the set of intakes BELOW the engine.)

Edited by Pappystein

5 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

This is an awesome start to a Mod. As a suggestion.  Maybe Try 0.9375m Fuselage parts/Cockpits to make our Fighters less Portly and more aerodynamic just like real life?   This size is already in other mods (most notably BlueDog Design Bureau.

Thanks :). I'm not sure about reduced size, I personally think the size 1 is about right for ww2-era + fighters, but I agree they're too wide. I want to look into opal shaped parts, that would have the same height as current size 1, but have a thinner width. Possibly surface mount cockpits as well, since that would reduce the work of supporting the different sizes. Though I may consider that size for WW1-era parts if I make any.

I'm sure you're right about the correct meaning of razorback, but it does seem to have taken a wider meaning for any "non-bubble" cockpit. Either way I think people know what I mean :).

Anyway, I did do a quick test of the P47/40 style cockpit in game:

screenshot1_zpsrshqnksn.png

screenshot2_zpsbinvzeqe.png

There is a few problems with textures, but on the whole, it's ok. I'll try and work out the correct process to get it into the game and have it ready in a day or two. I'm also going to try and get some "razorback" fuselage parts at the same time.

If you are thinking about oval. Might I suggest the very nice basic oval shape from Firespitter.  

@Snjo was onto something there in the general shape.  it is more apropos for an Aircraft than a Barrel.    However I get that it isn't the best for Rockets...

@Pappystein Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Parts-wise I think firespitter is great, and I'm probably going to use the plugin as a dependency soon, but the art-style isn't my thing. But I'm definitely considering the oval parts as a base for what I'm going to do.

@Citizen247 *Throws Rocketfulls of cookies candy, and money in a bucket and gives you the bucket* :)

Also I agree with @Pappystein. I use firespitter parts ALOT for my fighters, and I've always been wanting someone to make parts that support it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.