MAD - Aerospace Parts (v0.6.1) KSP 1.8+

Citizen247

3 hours ago, Ya_Boi_Assault said:

These Look amazing, I can't wait for the Next update, F-4 Phantom Possibly? 

Thanks. Phantom 2 I'll have to think about, there's already a very similar cockpit in Airplane plus, and Blackheart is working on a razorback adaptor for his own parts. So it depends where Airplane Plus goes with that.

A quick update on razorback parts, not entirely sure on the texture, might be too busy:
50467255-2964-4189-a0a8-683114902b93_zps3c07dffe-76ab-43f2-89e3-172a2adef74f_zps

I do have a quick question, as I'm in two minds about texturing. Would people prefer the bottom of the spine to be textured "inside" or "outside". As it is currently it's textured "outside" so if someone could find a use for it upside down it wouldn't look out of place, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be better with an inside texture, like the end caps.

Edited by Citizen247
Added in game shot.

17 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

A quick update on razorback parts, not entirely sure on the texture, might be too busy:
50467255-2964-4189-a0a8-683114902b93_zps3c07dffe-76ab-43f2-89e3-172a2adef74f_zps

I do have a quick question, as I'm in two minds about texturing. Would people prefer the bottom of the spine to be textured "inside" or "outside". As it is currently it's textured "outside" so if someone could find a use for it upside down it wouldn't look out of place, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be better with an inside texture, like the end caps.

That looks nice. I have no experience whatsoever in mod making, so I don't know i it is possible, but maybe have a tweakable to change that like on the procedural parts where you can change tank texture? That way, it gets the best of both worlds.

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

maybe have a tweakable to change that like on the procedural parts where you can change tank texture? That way, it gets the best of both worlds.

Not in stock AFAIK. It's possible with Firespitters mesh or texture switch modules, and I'll probably be adding firespitter as a dependency if/when I added prop engines, so it might be a future addition.

4 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

Not in stock AFAIK. It's possible with Firespitters mesh or texture switch modules, and I'll probably be adding firespitter as a dependency if/when I added prop engines, so it might be a future addition.

Okay. What about just two parts until you add firespitter as a dependency?

5 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

It might be worth checking with Angel-125, on his WildBlue Tools plugin... It does all kinds of mesh/texture/resource switching, and I guess he's just started work on adding propeller functionality as an alternative to Firespitter... Its used in ALL of his mods; and I think there are a few other devs that have used it, or at least parts of it, in THEIR mods...

Might be worth looking into, as FS is only in maintenance mode, and while it works, is getting a little long in the tooth, when there are newer plugins that do the same, and more, stuff...possibly in more effecient ways, with all the changes in KSP since FS was originally written...??

Edited by Stone Blue

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Okay. What about just two parts until you add firespitter as a dependency?

For now, I didn't want to add to many extra parts. I might revisit in future.

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

It might be worth checking with Angel-125, on his WildBlue Tools plugin... It does all kinds of mesh/texture/resource switching, and I guess he's just started work on adding propeller functionality as an alternative to Firespitter...

Might be worth looking into, as FS is only in maintenance mode, and while it works, is getting a little long in the tooth, when there are newer plugins that do the same, and more, stuff...possibly in more effecient ways, with all the changes in KSP since FS was originally written...??

Thanks, I'll see how it pans out!

Update time :)

Update is on spacedock, should hopefully work it's way through to ckan as well.

I've added four razorback parts:

79b74e09-188e-4b6f-bd4b-bb5d12980cc3_zps

A short and long spine and a short and long tapered end. The inline razorback cockpit has been updated to have window lighting.

A full bubble inline cockpit:

55552daf-b262-420d-bfef-e20369a47fad_zps

And an inline "greenhouse" razorback cockpit:

9f75b294-b745-4f45-a80a-d3e830f4a3ec_zps

1 hour ago, TedwinKnockman66 said:

Can you do a Il-2 cockpit? 

I'll probably be looking to do some cockpits of various WW2 aircraft styles as modular/radial mount cockpits. I think I'm not going to do any more full cockpits, unless there's a very compelling suggestion, because there's so many. I'll definitely add an IL-2 style one to the list of radials though.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

Just posting this, here, for contemplation... :D

Those cockpit, razorback, AND intakes would be really nice additions... :wink:

And speaking of intakes:

Ohh, yes, the harrier. As one of the last hurrahs of the British Aircraft industry it would be hard to resist to make some parts for that...

I'm actually thinking of producing some mk1 sized razorback parts for larger aircraft too, so they'd work for a harrier intake...

1 hour ago, Avalinx said:

I can see future on this mod :D, the work is great, continue like that.

11 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

Ohh, yes, the harrier. As one of the last hurrahs of the British Aircraft industry it would be hard to resist to make some parts for that...

SO, is that a "possibly..." ??... lol

I have to say, as someone lucky enough to have stood and literally looked down the throat of those intakes, that Pegasus engine, and the whole Harrier design is quite impressive...

And if I can be a PIA again, i just thought of another possibility for an intake:

The A-7 "ManEater"... :o

A-7_06.jpg

Edited by Stone Blue

On 31 de marzo de 2017 at 6:01 AM, Citizen247 said:

Thanks all.

@Daniel Prates At the moment it's just the one part. My next job will be to produce some razorback parts. In the meantime clipping size 0 parts works (in stock and my heavily modded game), or the stryker (which gave me the initial idea for this) razorback parts fit surprisingly well too:

screenshot262_zpsauwgilaa.png

screenshot0_zpsp5dtrfba.png

screenshot29_zpsotsiiicn.png

@mechanicH Any ideas gratefully received. I can't promise I'll do anything with them but I can promise I consider it :D.

Looks like a fighter yet!! Amazing! Very simple mod but cool!

On 07/04/2017 at 9:26 PM, Stone Blue said:

SO, is that a "possibly..." ??... lol

It's a very likely. I've already got an intake for the 0.625m razorback parts, and I want to produce some 1.28m razorback parts, so an intake for those is a natural extension.

I have to say, as someone lucky enough to have stood and literally looked down the throat of those intakes, that Pegasus engine, and the whole Harrier design is quite impressive...

I've been able to get close to a number of aircraft used by the RAF, the Phantom 2 and Tornado especially. The REME have a Harrier in their museum, the engine is removed in that though. They also have a V2 rocket, captured by the REME during World War 2. I think the fact that the Harrier was the only production aircraft capable of VTOL for half a century is a testament to the achievement of its engineers.

The A-7 "ManEater"... :o

That might work well with oval parts in fact.

I've got a more concrete idea for the road map for this mod. I'm planning on four extra fuselage sizes: oval parts of 1.28m and 2.5m, aimed at "fighter" and "bomber" sized aircraft. And some intermediate round AND (preferably) oval parts in the 1.875m and 0.9375m to fill those gaps for larger fighters and medium transport bombers and small aircraft. Creating new fuselage form factors would be a relatively large job since I would want a complete set of fuel tanks, fuselage parts, cargo bays, adaptors, tails, nosecones and probably engines before releasing them. I.E. Don't expect them too soon.

I want to try and get weekly updates for at least the next few weeks. I'll be adding firstly IVAs for the Bubble and IRT40 cockpit, and an air intake for the 0.625m razorback parts. If I have time I'll also add some smaller razorback parts. Over the next month, I hope to add a side-by-side cockpit in both a bubble and 1.25m razorback style. I may add some more razorback styles as mesh-switches, a sharp razor edge (P-47 style) and a square shaped style (similar to the BF109). I'll also look to start adding radial cockpits, that could be used with any fuselage style. At the moment I'll be looking to add a few different types: A Razorback and non-Razorback greenhouse style, and similar bubble style cockpits. Also some "windscreen" radial cockpits, all preferably with IVA. I also want to add various glass nose cone cockpits, especially one similar to the B29. I'll also be experimenting with creating a set of modular cockpit parts to see if I can get anything like that working.

You seriously have no idea how shocked I was when I imported this into the game and it actually worked:

c7c905f9-43bb-4324-99a8-df95c9c7973e_zps

b598b58f-231f-488f-996f-a1daa0135cda_zps

Still a lot of work left to do, The kerbal is too low, no props, and I think I might have to paint my own textures for the IVA, at least eventually as well. But it's gone smoother than I was expecting.

Update time!

There's not a huge number of parts, but I've streamlined the project files and workflow, which should make the process quicker and easier in future. I've added IVA's for all the cockpits now, they're meant to be aircraft cockpits so there's no internal hatches like in the stock IVAs. I've also fixed most of the shader/smoothing errors.

I've added a couple of air intakes. Firstly an "undernose" intake:

d46eab2d-29fe-4262-b0f1-d3c700eab285_zps

And a small side intake that can be attached to small razorback parts:
screenshot26_zpszunwprjl.png

There's also a longer sharper nose cone.
screenshot22_zpshfsmcdd8.png

Finally, the Bubble and IRT40 cockpits now have customised IVAs:
02fee9c3-d358-42df-946d-71f429629fd3_zps

screenshot30_zpse5asxdev.png

screenshot29_zpsnrax7hsu.png

For the next update, I'll be looking to add a two seater side by side cockpit in bubble and razorback style (ideally with IVA). Plus 1.28m razorback parts and a "harrier" style air intake.

I like the look of the new parts, but I am encountering a bug with the transonic intake. Once I place the part, whether connected to the main airframe or off to the side, I cannot reselect the intake or delete it from the craft. Is anyone else having this issue?

gqyudH.jpg

20 hours ago, Slamnam said:

I like the look of the new parts, but I am encountering a bug with the transonic intake. Once I place the part, whether connected to the main airframe or off to the side, I cannot reselect the intake or delete it from the craft. Is anyone else having this issue?

That's my fault, I'm British so I'm sabotaging those who shall not be named :-p.

Erm, I mean the collider isn't set up correctly. It's fixed in the latest version. I'll be pushing that out tonight (I'm going into hospital tomorrow, nothing serious but I won't be any fit state to do the usual Friday update).

Well, assuming I can do the update tonight, while laying out UVs for one of the new parts I was visited by what looks like a vengeful Easter Island God:

Screenshot%20from%202017-04-20%2009-27-2

Edited by Citizen247

2 minutes ago, Slamnam said:

Hey, I know you're busy and all... but I saw loads of other people making requests so i figure i'll toss mine in.

Is there any way you could add some sort of under-tail engine mount that appears in several airframes from the good old days?

for example, the F-4 Phantom or Voodoo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_F-101_Voodoo

It's actually something I've been thinking about over the course of this week. I'm just not sure what the best way to do it would be. I'm thinking the best way would be to have a number of general purpose parts that can be combined to produce something like that.

Update is up!

Fixes:

• Fixed under nose intake collider, it's now clickable.
  • Fixed a number of models for shading errors.
  • Some minor model changes to the 0.625m razorback parts.
  • Better textures for the under nose intake.

New parts:

• 0.9375m Razorback parts. Long and short sections, end parts and air intake.
  • Two tandem two Kerbal cockpits in bubble and razorback style.
  •  A shorter rounded nose cone.

screenshot35_zpsjq6lhsrq.png

screenshot34_zpseptidzp4.png

screenshot36_zpsmfvjj8wj.png

<Download>

There's a few little issues with configuration files and models I want to deal with for next week. I'll hopefully put together some adaptors for the 0.625m/0.9375m razorback parts. The 0.9375m models need some adjustment as well. I'm also hoping to make a start of surface mount ladders.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.