MAD - Aerospace Parts (v0.6.1) KSP 1.8+

Citizen247

On 2017-6-4 at 1:36 PM, Salvator said:

Wow, i can hardly stress enough, how great this mod is! I would just point out one thing: the tandem cockpit, either bubble or razoback is not actually tandem, as tandem means "one behind the other", while here the kerbals sit side by side :wink:

And since you're (at least a bit) open to suggestions, i would have one: I miss a mod with a two seater tandem (i mean actually tandem :D) cockpit, where the rear seat is higher, than the front. Like some attack helicopters do.

Sorry, I thought I'd responded to this... I've been thinking about a cockpit like that, I'm just not sure the best way to do it yet.

On 2017-6-7 at 8:06 PM, SchwinnTropius said:

Awesome work. I have some ideas, if you'll take them:

I think what @Reiver was asking about is razorback sections attached to the back of (example) the Mk2 Inline Cockpit. I second that idea, regardless of whether that was what Reiver was asking or not.

I see your intent on a Modular Cockpit setup for the future, but I had an idea for flushly linking multiple cockpits together: using the "greenhouse" cockpit as the base, stretch the glass so that it is the length of the cockpit,make a razorback attach node on the front and back on the glass, and make windshield parts to attach to those nodes. Images to help explain this in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

Bj8EtPT.png?3

Hak3eJw.png?2

Finally, found Testy McTester Face:

Reveal hidden contents
XYZJDv3.png

The problem with just stretching any of the existing cockpits is that you lose the ability to have a sensible IVA. That's really the problem I want to solve with a modular cockpit mod. And to be frank it's not going to be any quicker to get an interim solution together, I just need to stop procrastinating and get on with it :). As far as that goes I'll probably release it as a separate plugin that MAD requires as a dependency. 

And yeah, Testy McTester Face slipped through on a fault fixing update because somebody was using the production folder for testing... 

...I was hoping no one would notice...

On 2017-6-9 at 10:33 AM, Sebforce116 said:

Seeing how far this mod has come, only one thing to say...

This is amazing though, I love it :D

On 2017-6-9 at 10:56 AM, Sebforce116 said:

Oh and uh, I would recommend a Lancaster and B-24 Cockpit please :wink:
Or a B-29 one...

WW2 Bomber-inspired cockpits are definitely on the to do list :)

I've not actually got that much work done over the last couple of weeks. I've been playing KSP instead of modding it :P. I've got a 1.2.2 game set up just right, just in time for the release of 1.3...

Anyway, I've at least managed to put together something I've been wanting to get right for a while, an English Electric Lightning inspired interceptor:
screenshot6_zpsd2tkkbck.png

The Fastish Fantastic Flight Thing.

The mk3 fuselage would be way to big for a WW2 bomber. 1.25m fuselages would be closer than mk3, even mk2 2.5m would be a little on the large side. Bomber cockpits go hand in hand with my plan for extra fuselage form factors though.

Oh yeah! Back in 1.0.5, I cfgbashed some of the 2.5m FantomWorks parts (airliner cockpit and passenger fuselage + ) into 1.875 DC-3 style parts. It looked pretty good, and was a lot of fun to fly. But they never had a proper IVA, and I would love love love to have a proper DC-3 / WW2 bomber style cockpit / fuselage.

It's also nice to know that you've been enjoying playing KSP, though! Oftentimes once I get a cockpit or particularly annoying prop finished, I'll just load it up in KSP and fly around for a few hours.

Edited by theonegalen

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

So it looks like photobucket has decided I can't use it for hosting images. Has anyone got any suggestions for alternatives?

I remember paying for an imgur account, but now I don't have to pay anymore. So it's free for unlimited images? No clue, but I'm not paying anything and it's currently hosting 7,584 of my images

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 13/06/2017 at 11:19 AM, Citizen247 said:

WW2 Bomber-inspired cockpits are definitely on the to do list

Do consider making "glazed" versions of nose and tail fairings!  They dont have to be proper pods to contain kerbals,  have IVAs or anything like that. It sufices that they look "window-like". It would go a long way towards making the crafts look more period-apropriate. And,  it shouldnt be too hard a thing to do,  since it only involves changing textures to already extant parts!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't completely forgotten this mod, I'm just a little stuck with motivation/ability for modular cockpits, which is the next step on the road map for this mod. Anyway I am still working on it and there are some updates ready, although only a few patches and bug fixes this time. I've also moved to github because of problems with spacedock, at least for the time being. I'll try and get these changes replicated to ckan ASAP.

DOWNLOAD

Moved to github.
Fixed AJE compatibility.

Added Tweakscale compatibility.
Added window reflections if TextureReplacer Replaced is present.
Removed test models.

Edited by Citizen247

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a fresh batch of mods running on a 1.4.3 install, this mod is always included. It really is an unsung hero for people that make streamlined craft.

A guy earlier asked about B-29 cockpits; here's a mod that has one.

Here's some bonus pictures from my last install. Mostly cold war aircraft.

S-3 Viking

N2aozn.jpg

7Y4ynS.jpg

F-104

v9qDrQ.jpg

B-58 Hustler

VjUf0I.jpg

4OtDd8.jpg

The Hustler is OP, even on 2.5x Kerbin

EEvIxP.jpg

I'll attempt even better ones with this 1.4.3 install.

Edited by Slamnam
More free publicity

• 3 months later...

Hi all. I'm getting the "this thread is quite old" message, so I've obviously been away a bit too long, sorry. I've been unwell and busy with work and other things, which has left me with little time and motivation.

I had wanted to get modular cockpits done before going further with this, but unfortunately, my motivation for coding has been somewhere between -1 and 0. And it's stopped me getting on with stuff I want to do for this, so I've decided to shelve it for a bit and get back to building some parts.

I'm planning on getting some new fuselage sections together. So here's a quick taster:
JUfU53v.png
a 1.25m oval fuselage section.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, I know how much of a sap on inspiration that can be. I think you've made a good decision, modular cockpits is a fantastic idea but it's also a fantastically complex one, and it makes sense to get the parts made first. I'll be keeping an eye on development, this is the first time I've seen these parts and I already love them.

Use your spoons wisely. :)

I've had to relearn how to build cockpits and IVA's, left it a bit too long :/. But getting there, have done some flight testing of some of the new parts: new fuselage form factors and a surface attached version of the Mk1 Razorback bubble cockpit:

GfiWrY6.png

And a few of the new parts and adapters in the editor:
br9zQD6.png

I want to put together some more parts for the new fuselages, air intakes and fuel tanks mainly. I believe you can swap models as well with the new stock themes system, so I'm considering adding that in, grouping the razorback spines and fuselage parts so I'm not spamming the editor with parts. That'll probably be an update for later though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.