[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops, FAR Edition]

A new topic for us turboheads, focused on building turboshaft & turboprop creations but this time using FAR.

The reason is simple: FAR offers the ability to build craft much lighter and with less parts while offering superior performance over NeoAero.

The basic principles are the same and most existing craft can be modified to work with little modification.

At this time FAR isn't released but with some searching in the FAR topic, one can acquire the dev build, which runs fine with KSP 1.2.2. I've got the impression the FPS is higher too.

Here's my first one, the 77I-Azi24 Curious Faroka, based on the 77I-Azi12 Curious Chakora. Part count has dropped from 344 to 275. The engine runs with 50% of the amount of blowers of the original offering the same performance as the Chakora with adjusted drag in NeoAero! I had to double the amount of propeller blades though.

fXMLQTu.png

Anyway, close to release. More info soon!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/1/2017 at 8:52 AM, Azimech said:

Proof the Faroka has an excellent range & reliability:

<Snip>

Bet it could go even faster if you sealed up the windows with say, static solar panels. (Currently as far as FAR is concerned, that's an open cockpit with some struts around it)

We might be able to get some decently performing attack helicopters too, because I remember testing out my E-50 Triton (by no means designed for performance) with modified rotor blades (high aspect ratio is a must on heli blades in FAR) and it got up to some quite impressive speeds even without any forward motion jets. I believe claw articulation might be important though to relieve the stresses induced on the blades however, as the rotors were quite prone to wrenching out of the bearings.

Edit: I didn't test for it, I wonder if Vortex Ring State can be produced in FAR?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

38 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Bet it could go even faster if you sealed up the windows with say, static solar panels. (Currently as far as FAR is concerned, that's an open cockpit with some struts around it)

We might be able to get some decently performing attack helicopters too, because I remember testing out my E-50 Triton (by no means designed for performance) with modified rotor blades (high aspect ratio is a must on heli blades in FAR) and it got up to some quite impressive speeds even without any forward motion jets. I believe claw articulation might be important though to relieve the stresses induced on the blades however, as the rotors were quite prone to wrenching out of the bearings.

Edit: I didn't test for it, I wonder if Vortex Ring State can be produced in FAR?

In my experience, a coaxial goes for the win, I had excessive retreating blade stall with Selene when I tried it. About vortex ring state, I think we need fluid dynamics for that. Although I have experienced a loss of lift after descending too fast with stock aero, there seems to be a different mechanic behind it.

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

In my experience, a coaxial goes for the win, I had excessive retreating blade stall with Selene when I tried it. About vortex ring state, I think we need fluid dynamics for that. Although I have experienced a loss of lift after descending too fast with stock aero, there seems to be a different mechanic behind it.

Indeed, the E-50 is a coaxial type. Looking back on it, I think what might have been happening was that the two rotors were not far enough apart vertically, so the extended high-aspect-ratio blades whipped into each-other as the aerodynamic forces of high speed flight caused them to flex up as they got more lift, and back down as they got less.

10 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

prop physics in FAR is really strange

How so? What problems are you encountering?

On a side note: I'm starting to think vortex ring state or something that looks a lot like it might actually exist in FAR, because I've had several instances of flying a heli and descending steeply at a moderate pace, then all of a sudden the heli starts dropping like a rock even at full throttle. Anyways, guess I'll get to work on my FAR turbofighter.

Btw @Azimech how large should we be building our turbofighters? As big as the Chakora or tiny 1.25m ish size planes?

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

On a side note: I'm starting to think vortex ring state or something that looks a lot like it might actually exist in FAR, because I've had several instances of flying a heli and descending steeply at a moderate pace, then all of a sudden the heli starts dropping like a rock even at full throttle. Anyways, guess I'll get to work on my FAR turbofighter.

Btw @Azimech how large should we be building our turbofighters? As big as the Chakora or tiny 1.25m ish size planes?

You know what ... I think multiple classes are a good idea. Some people might like to build big & heavy, others not. At least with big & heavy you know there's a lot of target area.

Reminds me of something. Two years ago I made a mod out of standard BDA guns to match WW2 equivalents, various types like machine guns and cannons.
If someone's interested, you can test them if they still work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gdzpuihsxxz76v/77I_WW2Weapons0_4.zip?dl=0

15 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

The stall physics make props work strangely. You've got to find the perfect prop pitch and it has to be adjusted really quickly for optimal results. Plus the engine torque seems to have a more prominent effect. Acceleration is extremely fast but top speed seems to be fairly low, if i can get off the ground.

15 hours ago, Azimech said:

You know what ... I think multiple classes are a good idea. Some people might like to build big & heavy, others not. At least with big & heavy you know there's a lot of target area.

Reminds me of something. Two years ago I made a mod out of standard BDA guns to match WW2 equivalents, various types like machine guns and cannons.
If someone's interested, you can test them if they still work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gdzpuihsxxz76v/77I_WW2Weapons0_4.zip?dl=0

Maybe you can divide the classes up by number and type of Engines, say 4 Junos and below, 6 Junos up to two panthers, 10 Junos plus

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

Maybe you can divide the classes up by number and type of Engines, say 4 Junos and below, 6 Junos up to two panthers, 10 Junos plus

Yes, for sure. Some mixing might be cool as well. It depends on the AI though, if you have a large and heavy boom & zoom fighter trying to turn & burn a light fighter that can turn on a dime, it might still lose.

43 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Man, the torque is vicious in FAR, I am not sure you will be able to fight with single engines

Yeah thats what i was saying earlier. The prop on my planes needs to clear the ground but even as low as i can get, it still wants to flip at full throttle or right off the runway.

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

Yes, for sure. Some mixing might be cool as well. It depends on the AI though, if you have a large and heavy boom & zoom fighter trying to turn & burn a light fighter that can turn on a dime, it might still lose.

Boom and Zoom fighters would be useless with BDA flying them. It doesnt know how to do that. Plus our planes are pretty comparable in performance to late WWI - early WWII, where turn fighters were king.

Just now, Azimech said:

Changes the direction of the thrust to help slow down airplanes while landing. Can also be used for taxiing.

No, I already know that. I mean as in can the reversed thrust be used in blowers, or not?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.