[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops, FAR Edition]

Just now, qzgy said:

No, I already know that. I mean as in can the reversed thrust be used in blowers, or not?

Good question. As far as I can see they haven't changed anything significant except just switch it on. But the thrust vector splits in two and rotates 135 degrees. Not very useful for use as a blower.

Just now, Azimech said:

Good question. As far as I can see they haven't changed anything significant except just switch it on. But the thrust vector splits in two and rotates 135 degrees. Not very useful for use as a blower.

Could lead to some interesting designs...

Remember what klond did with rapiers a little while back? Something similar could be done with the thrust reversers, I believe. Not as effective, but still could work.

Just now, qzgy said:

Could lead to some interesting designs...

Remember what klond did with rapiers a little while back? Something similar could be done with the thrust reversers, I believe. Not as effective, but still could work.

Yes, I just thought of a system. Since both exhaust vectors result in the same thrust while reversing, they both have to be just as strong as a single forward vector. This means you can discard one and use the other just the same. Or use both, maybe in a twin, parallel setup.

20 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yes, I just thought of a system. Since both exhaust vectors result in the same thrust while reversing, they both have to be just as strong as a single forward vector. This means you can discard one and use the other just the same. Or use both, maybe in a twin, parallel setup.

A contra-rotating system using one engine

15 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

A contra-rotating system using one engine

Two streams for the fuel consumption of one. But ... the angle of impact on the blisk/turbine blades has to be 90 degrees as always. That's gonna make for some interesting designs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stock + FAR is all I used. This thing has 4 blowers in my standard inverse configuration.

Empty mass is around 4.5 tonnes.

(First plane I've made in like a year).

Level flight speed is ~95 m/s. Failure speed is like 110 m/s. Top speed before breaking is like ~20 m/s. Takeoffs are currently dicey and I've been using seperatron boosters to get to 40 m/s.

It is in fact controllable enough to fly without SAS, so long as you trim it. It will drift though, and changes in speed require trim adjustments.

EDIT: Tried a take-off using Mouse Aim Flight. Works perfectly as long as you correct for roll. Again, Fresh install of KSP from an empty KSP folder with brand new FAR. This is not just doing a hundred m/s. It's doing a hundred m/s without cheating.

RR0RaJK.png

Edited by Pds314

1 minute ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Has anyone tried intermeshing blades yet, stock and modded?

I don't think in this version of KSP. I know that someone, I think Azimech, made a heli with intermeshing rotors back before a lot of modern innovations in engine and bearing design.

32 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I don't think in this version of KSP. I know that someone, I think Azimech, made a heli with intermeshing rotors back before a lot of modern innovations in engine and bearing design.

Actually that was someone else @Jakalth.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwbrSl9e7AgFtNhFadOQN

This thumbnail is the only thing I could find because his account is over the data limit (or something).

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Actually that was someone else @Jakalth.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt8SSuZK_3IUzRWoC1byH

This thumbnail is the only thing I could find because his account is over the data limit.

Oh. Nice. Unfortunately eyah that seems to be an issue frequently.

How is it synchronized from that? It looks like two separate engines?

12 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Oh. Nice. Unfortunately eyah that seems to be an issue frequently.

How is it synchronized from that? It looks like two separate engines?

True, two engines with gears at the bottom.

Prop plane now has four flap settings. Used like gears. It can now do 110 m/s stable flight at sea-level and tolerate even higher speeds in powered dives.

7 minutes ago, Azimech said:

True, two engines with gears at the bottom.

Wow. I know gears that are actually meant to handle load are a nightmare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.