Azimech

[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops, FAR Edition]

Azimech    5955
Just now, qzgy said:

No, I already know that. I mean as in can the reversed thrust be used in blowers, or not?

Good question. As far as I can see they haven't changed anything significant except just switch it on. But the thrust vector splits in two and rotates 135 degrees. Not very useful for use as a blower.

qzgy    1757
Just now, Azimech said:

Good question. As far as I can see they haven't changed anything significant except just switch it on. But the thrust vector splits in two and rotates 135 degrees. Not very useful for use as a blower.

Could lead to some interesting designs...

Remember what klond did with rapiers a little while back? Something similar could be done with the thrust reversers, I believe. Not as effective, but still could work.

Azimech    5955
Just now, qzgy said:

Could lead to some interesting designs...

Remember what klond did with rapiers a little while back? Something similar could be done with the thrust reversers, I believe. Not as effective, but still could work.

Yes, I just thought of a system. Since both exhaust vectors result in the same thrust while reversing, they both have to be just as strong as a single forward vector. This means you can discard one and use the other just the same. Or use both, maybe in a twin, parallel setup.

selfish_meme    1961
20 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yes, I just thought of a system. Since both exhaust vectors result in the same thrust while reversing, they both have to be just as strong as a single forward vector. This means you can discard one and use the other just the same. Or use both, maybe in a twin, parallel setup.

A contra-rotating system using one engine

Azimech    5955
15 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

A contra-rotating system using one engine

Two streams for the fuel consumption of one. But ... the angle of impact on the blisk/turbine blades has to be 90 degrees as always. That's gonna make for some interesting designs.