Epsilon Aerospace Inc. - Albatross 1 Rocket Flight 1 Successful (Submit a payload!)

Welcome to Epsilon Aerospace
The rocket company that will change spaceflight

Hello everyone! With this mission report, I am trying to simulate the operations of real space companies (SpaceX in particular, because, y'know... everyone loves SpaceX)!

I got the idea from @Kerbiter's successful, but now "dead" (:(SpaceY Inc thread, and @The Raging Sandwich's unfortunately less successful (:() Commercial Launching thread, both of which were trying to achieve the same goal: emulate a real life space company.

And today, I too will be attempting this, with *drum roll*...

EPSILON AEROSPACE
(Flag coming soon)

Epsilon Aerospace is a newly founded space company, with the eventual goal of making Kerbalkind an interplanetary species, and making space as accessible as possible.

One key aspect necessary for these aims is low launch costs: and Epsilon Aerospace is planning to achieve that through reusability. Yes, you heard right, reusing rockets.

Speaking of rockets, Epsilon Aerospace is currently developing their first rocket, an orbital-class launcher named the Albatross 1.

The Albatross 1 is in the final stages of development, with the first and second stages of Flight Item 1 (FI1) currently being assembled at Epsilon Aerospace's assembly and testing facility in the remote countryside of Gael (yes, I'm doing this with GPP). Below is the first (and only, as of yet) hyper-realistic computer image of the Albatross 1:adWedyp.png

Albatross 1 Launch Vehicle

Spoiler

Detailed vehicle description

Spoiler

First stage:
The Albatross 1's first stage is powered by a single KW Rocketry Maverick-1D twin-nozzle engine, capable of generating sufficient thrust to lift the launcher off the ground. Once the first stage finishes its job, it will be detached from the second stage and will parachute down into the ocean, where recovery teams will recover the booster and bring it back to shore for refurbishment, testing, and hopefully reuse. The stage employs a combination of the Maverick-1D's gimbal, and fins on the bottom of the rocket, for control. These fins are also used to keep the rocket on a stable trajectory as it falls back down to Gael while waiting for the parachutes to deploy. There will be a total of five cameras on the first stage: two pointing downwards, two pointing upwards, and one pointing upwards inside the interstage.  

Second stage:
The second stage powerplant is the vacuum-optimized KW Rocketry Vesta VR-1, capable of achieving the efficiency needed to put a payload into orbit. The second stage uses the Vesta's gimbaling to steer when the engine is producing thrust, and 12 Place-Anywhere-7 Linear RCS Ports for orienting the rocket when the Vesta is not active. A further two of these RCS ports are used as ullage motors and for completing orbit for particularly massive payloads. Depending on the amount of usable propellant left after the payload has been successfully  deployed, the second stage may be deorbited to keep space debris as a minimum.The second stage will also be equipped with five cameras: two pointing downwards, two pointing upwards, and one pointing upwards inside the fairing.

Payload:
The maximum payload capacity for the Albatross 1 is currently 1.350 tons to a 150km circular orbit. This capacity will be improved in the future with more refined versions of the Albatross 1. When carrying its maximum payload, the second stage will burn all of its propellant before reaching a stable orbit. This is planned, and the two monopropellant-powered ullage motors will finish the burn, leaving an ample amount of monopropellant (~50 units, according to computer simulations) for on-orbit corrections. This ensures the safe, on-target delivery of any satellite in the Albatross 1's mass class.
Future versions of the Albatross 1 will contain a custom-made multi-satellite deployer, allowing for multiple satellites to be launched in one go.

Vehicle statistics

Spoiler

Mass and dimensions
Mass - 18.981 tons
Height - 21.3 meters
Width - 2.9 meters
Length - 2.9 meters

Miscellaneous
Part count - 51

Vehicle performance (more detailed stats to come shortly)
First stage (only sea level stats as this is a first stage)
TWR (MAX) Sea level - 1.77 (3.63)
Delta-V Sea level - 1,965 m/s
Second stage (only vacuum stats as this is a second stage)
TWR (MAX) Vacuum - I forgot to check, will be shown here tomorrow
Delta-V Vacuum - I forgot to check, will be shown here tomorrow
Complete rocket
Delta-V Sea level - 3,663 m/s
Delta-V Vacuum - I forgot to check, will be shown here tomorrow

Payload submission requirements + form (each and every payload will be launched as long as it follows the requirements)

Spoiler

Want to submit a payload?

Below are the payload requirements:

Spoiler

Payload requirements

• Must be below or equal to the maximum payload capacity of the rocket (1.350 tons for the Albatross 1)
  • Must be unmanned (for now, may change later)
  • Mods used for payload must be balanced (i.e. no warp drives, antimatter propulsion, things like that)
  • No life-support mods except Kerbalism may be used for payloads, as I'm using Kerbalism and one life support system is hectic enough as it is
  • No mods that change fuel systems are allowed (eg. RealFuels, EngineIgnitor, CryogenicEngines, etc)
  • Craft download link must be provided (KerbalX, Dropbox, etc)

And below is the payload submission form:

Spoiler

Payload submission form (answer these questions and the payload will be launched)

• Payload name?
  • Payload provider (your "company" name, eg. Epsilon Aerospace)?
  • Type of payload (scientific, exploratory, communication, etc)?
  • Payload mass?
  • Payload height?
  • Payload length?
  • Payload width?
  • Payload part count?
  • Is the payload stock or modded?
  • If it's modded, what mods?
  • Which body should it orbit (remember that I'm using Galileo's Planet Pack)?
  • Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)?
  • Short description of the payload?
  • Any other info about the payload you think I should know?

Note that because I'm using Kerbalism, I might have to make small adjustments to a payload, for example switching out antennas for stronger ones, ading radiation protection, etc.

Mods / addons used

Spoiler

Mod list will be here shortly, when I decide on which ones I need and which ones I don't.

Thanks for reading this far, and why not submit a payload for me to launch to keep this thread growing! :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Vagbon I Comsat

Made by Glopdosian Satellite Operations

Communication Satellite

0.905 Tons

4.2 Meters Tall

2.0 Meters Wide

2.0 Meters in Length

18 Parts

Stock parts

the only one I can find mildly concerning is Remote Tech, it might change something with the antennas.

Orbit Gael

Geostationary Orbit (0 inclination, 0 eccentricity)

I checked Kerbalism, so it has enough batteries for 1 day and one hour, so it should have enough Electricity for Geostationary orbit.

Delta Five: 1365, Root Part is Ant Engine, it has a RA-16 Relay Antenna on top so it might make fairings a bit harder

And of course the Craft File

Spoiler

pictures!

ZYnuLPT.png

pnr5yGM.png

Edited by StupidAndy
better orbit info

Epsylon Scan-Sat 1:

Created by: Titanium Space Technologies

Payload Classification: Survey Scanner

Payload Dimensions: 

• Mass- 0.599t
  • Height- 2.5 Meter
  • Length- 1.1 Meters
  • Width- 0.7 Meters

Payload Part Count: 7

Stock or Modded?: Modded with tweakscale.

Orbiting Body: Gael 

Intended orbit: 

• Inclination 90 Degrees
  • Apoapsis and Periapsis- 500, 500 KM

Short Description: A Scanner Module atop three core modules, equipped with two solar arrays, generating required electric charge.

Any other info (Backstory)- Titanium Space Technologies was contracted by the Official Kerbal Federation to design and construct satellites, with the sole intention of gaining information on the United Kerbal Alliance. A space race had begun as the opposition launched their first satellite capable of espionage. Titanium Space Technologies (TST) only consisting of 12 employees were contracted, and after exactly 15 minutes of design had come up with the satellite. It may be only the first iteration of intel sats for the Official Kerbal Federation, but it certainly will not be the last.

B6Vyxhr.png

JCVGRQr.png

VWl2RZZ.png

Craft File: https://kerbalx.com/Oliverm001x/Epsylon-Scan-Sat-1

Edited by Oliverm001x

On 4/1/2017 at 0:45 AM, StupidAndy said:

snip

Thanks for the payload, however Epsilon Aerospace is not certain if the Albatross 1 has the performance to lift your satellite into a geostationary orbit. You can either make your payload lighter, or wait some time longer, and it will be launched on a future iteration of the Albatross 1. :) 

19 hours ago, Oliverm001x said:

snippety snip

Thanks for the payload. It will be launched  when commercial operations commence. :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Thanks for the payload, however Epsilon Aerospace is not certain if the Albatross 1 has the performance to lift your satellite into a geostationary orbit. You can either make your payload lighter, or wait some time longer, and it will be launched on a future iteration of the Albatross 1. :) 

how high can you lift it?

AGAIN AGAIN!!!

Flesba TNASS (Totally Not a Spy Satellite)

Made by Glopdosian Satellite Operations

In collaboration with the Glopdosian Council of Global Defence (GCGD)

0.93 Tons

3.3 Meters Tall

4.0 Meters Wide

3.1 Meters Length

16 Parts

KER Kerbal Engineering System

Orbit Gael

Polar Orbit (250x250, 90* Inclination)

Again with the remote tech

most of the parts are inside the structural fuel tank, like the batteries, some science parts, and the HECS probe core

the root part is the bottom structural panel

everything can be explained with pictures

Spoiler

vBWV42M.png

4clsm6B.png

CZEfwos.png

PIdJ8ui.png

HeiRcqh.png

Craft File

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/26479/undefined

3 hours ago, FL-T400 said:

good to see someone has a nice weather satellite, you can finally answer the immortal question: how does enemy weapons development affect local weather patterns? 

Well, experimental weaponry can have profound meteorological effects. Such as, if thermonuclear weapons are detonated, the immense amounts of shrapnel are projected into the atmosphere. Does that not affect the weather?

21 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

how high can you lift it?

About 500km. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until a more powerful lifter is developed. It shouldn't take long, however, so it'll still launch within a few weeks. :) 

That puts the current launch manifest as:

Flight 1: Albatross 1 + DemoSat-1 by @TheEpicSquared (me)

Flight 2: Albatross 1 + Epsylon Scan-Sat 1 by @Oliverm001x

Flight 3: Albatross 1 + Flesba TNASS by @StupidAndy

Flight 4: N/A

Flight 5: N/A

Update out in about two hours! :) 

Epsilon Aerospace Progression Update: 03/04/17

Epsilon Aerospace has completed the assembly process of Flight Item 1 (FI-1) and performed static test fires for the first time at its newly built launch complex on Omelek Island (I'm not very creative, am I).XgZHlFq.png

Location of launch site on Gael:Qxfkhiv.png

The first stage was held down by launch clamps as it was fueled for a full-duration static fire test, to ensure that the engine was up-to-scratch.

The Maverick-1D engine ignited at the planned time, slowly ramping up to full thrust. Sound-triggered cameras captured the views of the contraption.zr4BqPt.png

The stage was tested on different throttle settings until the propellant ran out. After safing the booster, it was rolled inside the VAB and the launchpad was inspected.

The second stage static fire commenced the same time the following day.yPdp4XZ.png

The Vesta VR-1 was not producing as much thrust as normal, but this was planned. The nozzle was very big, as it was designed to operate in space. But because it was being fired just above sea level, efficiency was reduced.yXbOye8.png

The same assemblies used for the test fires would be used on the first flight of the Albatross 1. These consisted of the first stage: Core 1 (C1) and the second stage: Upper Stage 1 (US1).

After a week, the first operational flight item was assembled. This particular rocket was, rather humorously, called "What Could Possibly Go Wrong?".

The first launch would lift a university-made cubesat into orbit. The target orbit was a 2 degree inclined circular 150km orbit. The satellite was called DemoSat-1. It consisted of a cube, holding all the avionics, and four antennae. It was purely a demostration satellite, and so it was perfect that it was paired with a demonstration rocket.

Launch #1: DemoSat-1:

Spoiler

Flight Item 1 on the launchpad, ready for flight:snbkfm6.png

The countdown was nominal. 

At T-1 second, the Maverick-1D ignited, and it reached full thrust at T±0 seconds, and at the same time the launch clamps released the rocket, and it lifted off. Remotely triggered cameras captured the liftoff just after launch clamp release.f9eGSHV.png

5n761oe.png

The gravity turn was started, captured by the onboard cameras.neekaTf.png

Unfortunately the vibrations from the engine prevented the first stage cameras from functioning, and the next images came well after stage separation.vZUltie.png

Xkmb71I.png

A few seconds later, images started to come back from the first stage. It showed that it was intact and tat the parachutes had deployed.MdCTKdo.png

A few minutes later, it splashed down safely. Recovery teams were sent out.8nT6TMw.png

At the same time, the Vesta on the second stage had shut down, and the fairings had separated, revealing the DemoSat-1 payload.m3sTb7K.png

The satellite was deployed successfully a few minutes later.htJuLUn.png

Ground stations couldn't contact DemoSat-1, for some reason, but that had nothing to do with the Albatross 1, so the mission was a success.

The launch manifest now looked like this:

*VEHICLE* *FLIGHT NUMBER* *FLIGHT ITEM* *CORE NUMBER* *UPPER STAGE NUMBER* *PAYLOAD* *PROVIDER*

Albatross 1 Flight 2 (FI2) (C2) (US2): Epsylon Scan-Sat 1 by @Oliverm001x

Albatross 1 Flight 3 (FI3) (C3) (US3): Flesba TNASS by @StupidAndy

Albatross 1 Flight 4 (FI4) (C4) (US4): N/A

Albatross 1 Flight 5 (FI5) (C1 (first stage reuse)) (US5): N/A

Epsilon Aerospace is also working on a more powerful lifter, separate from the Albatross 1. This new lifter will be revealed shortly. Further development of the Albatross 1 will likely be abandoned in favour of the new, more powerful lifter, however payloads already submitted will be launched on the Albatross 1.

Commercial operations, starting with the Epsylon Scan-Sat 1, will commence shortly.

3 hours ago, Kerbiter said:

Just about to do a SpaceY R3B00T, and I see this...

I might make a little payload for this, just saying.

Thanks for the payload in advance! 

Spoiler

Also, me and @Oliverm001x are organizing a sort of shared project that allows everyone to have their own space company, in the same game. It's like real life, with launch providers competing for payloads, and other stuff... that way we could have SpaceY and Epsilon Aerospace at the same time! :wink: 

That thread is coming soon, as soon as we finalize all the details. :) 

For Epsilon Aerospace, commercial operations will start soon. :) 

10 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Thanks for the payload in advance! 

Hide contents

Also, me and @Oliverm001x are organizing a sort of shared project that allows everyone to have their own space company, in the same game. It's like real life, with launch providers competing for payloads, and other stuff... that way we could have SpaceY and Epsilon Aerospace at the same time! :wink: 

That thread is coming soon, as soon as we finalize all the details. :) 

For Epsilon Aerospace, commercial operations will start soon. :) 

If you want to compete do this in RSS/RO and try to beat out the International Space Exploration Agency and Epix Launch Services. Could make a interesting community competition. 

3 minutes ago, Uace24 said:

If you want to compete do this in RSS/RO and try to beat out the International Space Exploration Agency and Epix Launch Services. Could make a interesting community competition. 

I would, but I'm absolutely abysmal with RSS/RO. The furthest I got was a highly elliptial Mun Moon orbit, with roughly 5 m/s of Dv remaining. :/ 

We are basically doing the same thing as you are suggesting, but in the regular Kerbin system. If you want to make a scaled-down version of ISEA or Epix, be my guest! :wink: (more people participating is always a good thing) :) 

I would, but I'm absolutely abysmal with RSS/RO. The furthest I got was a highly elliptial Mun Moon orbit, with roughly 5 m/s of Dv remaining. :/ 

We are basically doing the same thing as you are suggesting, but in the regular Kerbin system. If you want to make a scaled-down version of ISEA or Epix, be my guest! :wink: (more people participating is always a good thing) :) 

Well we are allways open to new members along with other providers competing with us for community contracts and you under-build your moon orbiter so with practice you can do well in RSS/RO so would you like to participate in a little community competition ? 

Just now, Uace24 said:

Well we are allways open to new members along with other providers competing with us for community contracts and you under-build your moon orbiter so with practice you can do well in RSS/RO so would you like to participate in a little community competition ? 

I guess, with a lot of practice, I could. But for now, me and @Oliverm001x are going to do a community competition, but on stock scale. 

Again, you're welcome to join it if you want. :wink: 

I guess, with a lot of practice, I could. But for now, me and @Oliverm001x are going to do a community competition, but on stock scale. 

Again, you're welcome to join it if you want. :wink: 

Lets discuss this on PM's

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.