Sal_vager is leaving to travel the world. 

Vanamonde

23 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I see that you mods have the same profile pic... Care to elaborate?

(Whoops wrong thread)

Well, it ended up being the right thread. This is your answer :wink:

(I realize some haven't been around for long to realize this is an answer, so: this was Sal's old avatar)

51 minutes ago, monstah said:

Well, it ended up being the right thread. This is your answer :wink:

(I realize some haven't been around for long to realize this is an answer, so: this was Sal's old avatar)

Ah. When I first joined it was that smiling egg thing

Well, I guess the best tribute we can pay to @sal_vager is to continue in the spirit he tried to instill in us all...

Be friendly.

Be helpful.

By all means disagree,  but be nice about it. 

.... Oh, and write lots of poetry...

This forum is a great community,  welcoming to newcomers and helpful to even old timers with a dilemma, in no small part due to his efforts, so with the  help and guidance of the (almost as awesome) remaining moderators, let's keep it that way.   

I'm surprised at the small number of comments here.  I can only surmise this is somewhat due to a seismic shift toward less affinity to key Squad personalities.

Are we moving into a phase where people just don't care? (this is something that Squad's comms team should have centred in their sights! <--- @Badie)

Granted, there has been a 'great leaving' over the past months, but still... there are other (newer) people following on (and taking up the task) from @sal_vager that also deserve our appreciation. Who today are the new team members that need to be elevated in the communities view???  Is there a strategic communications and persona plan?

Moving forward, I would hope that @SQUAD would take steps to elevate various personas and recapture the communities linkage into new folks that are making the next generation of KSP happen. Otherwise there is diminishing community sustainability long term.

ALSO: I suppose the dev blog will continue to be a lower priority.  Since there is still no reasonable update happening on a regular basis. @SQUAD you can do better - just try. No... don't try, DO!

@sal_vager once again ---> thank you!

@Wallygator Mostly a guess from the timbre of the mod's comments, but I think sal_vager's announcement to turn a new page on life was rather sudden, and it's only Monday of the next week now. One of the core crew even mentioned learning about it while on mobile out having a beer! These things happen, and like I was musing, it's hard to imagine a better reason than to answer the call to adventure.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to say when an old timer leaves... You just assume they come with the place like the furniture ^_^(I'm becoming one of those at my work, so it's fine to joke, yes?) . I think @Vanamonde has made an excellent sendoff though, as have all the mods in kind in the comments. So many, infact, that I felt a little low caliber to be leaving my own farewell! It was silly, so I posted anyways, but I wonder if others felt the same nerve?

Also, this thread's in the stickies, and no one ever looks there :lol:.

I, too, hope the next generation of KSP happens well (I intend to be part of it as an addicted dedicated player), and even if the official outreach plan happens not to come to pass, we can always do little things ourselves to elevate the community's view of deserving individuals from right down here. Speaking of which, there's a PM I've been meaning to send to someone who deserved some appreciation... Grand plans are nice, too, of course!

@sal_vager if you ever need to rest your head on your travels and your near Northampton UK shout me up and your more than welcome to stop. You have been a solid and trusted member of this forum and as sad as it is to see you go....go. Go spread your wings and live the life you want to. Farewell buddy and take care :)

@sal_vager Best of luck in your travels!

Since I first started playing KSP, long before I even got a forum account, I could always count on finding a helpful post from "that guy with the smiley ball avatar" that would answer almost any question I had. This forum would definitely not be what it is today without you. 

,'') this is almost a winking naruto. Kanpaï sal and thks ^^ and sorry for all the report because of many of my weird post ^^

an grats for everithing done interacting with everyone ^^ impressive ^^ & happy travels and all you know ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Good luck on your travels! Hope you have lots of fun while traveling too! The forum will be different without you, for me especially, since you helped me out a lot, but you're also going to be doing something I have wanted to do as well, so I can't feel bad when you'll be enjoying life!

Enjoy you travels, @sal_vager, and thanks!

I recently came back from a break from KSP and the forums, and was a little surprised to see Sal's avatar everywhere. I discovered this thread and was sad to hear that Sal was leaving. I remember the many times when he helped me personally, living by his rule of a tap on the shoulder, when I made some of my many mistakes. Even when I first started, I could tell Sal commanded great respect in the community. And not just by the intimidating 'SQUAD Staff' title under his avatar. By the way everyone treated him, but most importantly, I could tell he commanded respect by the way he respegted people. @sal_vager, I know I'm a bit late with this, but I want to say that I will miss you greatly. You were always one of my favorite mods, and I deeply respected you. May you fare well in wherever you choose to go, because a man who knows how to command respect in one place can command respect in any.

Sal, I salute you.

(cue 21 kerbal-gun salute) totally not an exuse to blow kerbals up :D

Sincerely,

Mycroft, Incomplete Nerd, and CEO of CMAU Incorporated

We will miss you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.