Forced To Probe

The kerbal society has become too anxious to send kerbals to unknown locations without proper reconnaissance missions first. In this challenge mode, you must fly a probe to the desired location and achieve the same goals you would with a kerbal BEFORE you're allowed to send a kerbal. Now here's the tricky part, this also includes different Kerbin Biomes, High Kerbin atmosphere and Low Kerbin Orbit. Of course once you've achieved said goal with a probe then you can send a kerbal. Finally the last (optional) detail; do it all in stock ^-^ 

2 hours ago, James M said:

The kerbal society has become too anxious to send kerbals to unknown locations without proper reconnaissance missions first. In this challenge mode, you must fly a probe to the desired location and achieve the same goals you would with a kerbal BEFORE you're allowed to send a kerbal. Now here's the tricky part, this also includes different Kerbin Biomes, High Kerbin atmosphere and Low Kerbin Orbit. Of course once you've achieved said goal with a probe then you can send a kerbal. Finally the last (optional) detail; do it all in stock ^-^ 

Doesn't think that's too hard, but the signal distance would be a problem.

Have you attempted the challenge and complete it successfully before?

Edited by Hypercosmic

35 minutes ago, James M said:

Well yeah, but I play on console. We don't have to worry about signal distance yet, just flying the rockets without screwing up XD And considering we don't have mods or anything like that, it is a bit more fun.

Consider me, who always have problems about signal distances.

"Ah! I can't complete this contract because I can't get the signal to the apoapsis!"

21 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Consider me, who always have problems about signal distances.

"Ah! I can't complete this contract because I can't get the signal to the apoapsis!"

I suppose that's part of the challenge then :wink: 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, James M said:

Thanks I guess? 

Yes. First, we need your submission. Second, we need rules, e.g modlist and what is allowed and what isn't. And third we need some type of scoring system. If you don't understand, just look at other people's challenges and base your's off theirs.

Fire

On 4/14/2017 at 1:31 PM, Firemetal said:

Yes. First, we need your submission. Second, we need rules, e.g modlist and what is allowed and what isn't. And third we need some type of scoring system. If you don't understand, just look at other people's challenges and base your's off theirs.

Fire

"Mod rules" he says. Sorry I literally just said I played on console. I don't use mods. I can't. Have no idea what mods to recommend. And it was a challenge. Not a competition. Scoring not necessary. 

3 hours ago, Hodari said:

If it's just "Send a probe anywhere you want to go before sending a Kerbal", that really isn't much of a challenge.  There's probably a lot of people who do that as part of a normal career game anyway.

This forum is for Challenges and mission ideas. Imho, this has its own right to be here; for some people, that probe limitation is an issue. Especially when you have "Require Signal for Control" on; trust me, it's not easy for everyone :) Just sayin', this forum isn't just for challenges, and it feels like alot of people forget that. No offense to anyone here; just a friendly reminder.

On 4/14/2017 at 4:31 PM, Firemetal said:

Fire

Actually, I believe you do not need to give a submission, unless the "challenge" is unreasonably hard. Modlist and rules aren't needed, they're wanted; same goes for scoring system. I'm sure he understands just fine, and I'm sure he just wanted to give y'all some good fun for your game. Not everything has to be to the dot and in the normal way.

Edited by CosmoCat

2 hours ago, TeiTimidea said:

Actually, I believe you do not need to give a submission, unless the "challenge" is unreasonably hard. Modlist and rules aren't needed, they're wanted; same goes for scoring system. I'm sure he understands just fine, and I'm sure he just wanted to give y'all some good fun for your game. Not everything has to be to the dot and in the normal way.

Yeah, the submission isn't required in a case like this, though it's probably still a good idea since doing the challenge yourself forces you to think things through and refine it a bit more.  I'd say this challenge definitely needs SOME sort of rules and/or scoring system beyond what's there so far, though.  And this definitely seems like it was intended as more of a "challenge" rather than "mission idea"(again, there isn't even a well-defined mission/goal other than "Send a probe somewhere.")

Well in my short time playing the game, I found that I hardly used probes because I always just played safe enough not to strand my crew. Furthermore, their science yield is barely that of sending a Kerbal anyway. I just felt like it would be more fun if playing campaign were done with more of a logical approach. (Yes I'm diving into the whole real life realm here but as far as console goes we only have the vanilla game so no realism mods here)

16 hours ago, James M said:

Well in my short time playing the game, I found that I hardly used probes because I always just played safe enough not to strand my crew. Furthermore, their science yield is barely that of sending a Kerbal anyway. I just felt like it would be more fun if playing campaign were done with more of a logical approach. (Yes I'm diving into the whole real life realm here but as far as console goes we only have the vanilla game so no realism mods here)

I'm actually doing something alot like this in my 6.4x scaled game; after all, I have no idea what the Delta-V requirements are; I need to be sure before dooming a pilot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 0:23 PM, TeiTimidea said:

I'm actually doing something alot like this in my 6.4x scaled game; after all, I have no idea what the Delta-V requirements are; I need to be sure before dooming a pilot.

At least one person understands -_- 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.