Ever heard of life hacks? (KSP related)

Draconiator

I.E. putting baking soda in your fridge?  What about PartHacks!  KSP stock parts used in a way you'd never expect, but it REALLY makes things easier, no matter what you're doing.  Unfortunately I don't know of any offhand....lets see some!

Or other Way as Satellite last Stage for go to sunar orbit. 

Roverwheels as landinggear for a plane. Fly Land rove around. (Best for surface contracts)

RCS as main engine for a Lander  (Mono for Minmuslike, Vernons for Münlike)

Vernons as a afterburner for a rover, Wheels are to weak? Go Vernon:D

Funny Kabooms

Urses

I like to use the Mk-1 Lander Can rather than the Mk-1 Command Pod because it's lighter, and often it's not as weak as you'd expect a lander can to be, so it can re-enter just fine.

Did you "accidentally" kick a Kerbin out 10s of thousands of meters in Kerbin's atmosphere?

Turn on their pack (RCS control, I am sure everyone knows that), and give continual upward thrust.

Live.

Edited by jros83

I've been know to stick a few extra useless parts on landers so if they come in a bit hard they will explode and act as a buffer preserving the pod.  I don't do this so much now unless I'm trying something a bit dicey, but it used to be very handy (before heat shields I'd use decouplers, now if I do it would be like a few heat shields with ablator removed...and this is mostly in early career).

59 minutes ago, kBob said:

I've been know to stick a few extra useless parts on landers so if they come in a bit hard they will explode and act as a buffer preserving the pod.  I don't do this so much now unless I'm trying something a bit dicey, but it used to be very handy (before heat shields I'd use decouplers, now if I do it would be like a few heat shields with ablator removed...and this is mostly in early career).

Very Kerbaly. I approve.

19 hours ago, jros83 said:

Did you "accidentally" kick a Kerbin out 10s of thousands of meters in Kerbin's atmosphere?

Turn on their pack (RCS control, I am sure everyone knows that), and give continual upward thrust.

This is a thing? I thought I just got lucky!

1. Elevons are, basically, airbrakes with decent heat tolerance. They provides sufficient drag when deployed on reentry.

2. 1.25m docking port is a cheap decoupler for low-stress environment. It has the same mass as 1.25m decoupler while being 120:funds: cheaper. Great to use on orbit.

3. If you have a station with the big refinery, it's cheaper to launch ore.

Edited by Reusables
Added some more.

23 hours ago, jros83 said:

Live.

You can also head butt a planet to survive if it happens to not have a thick atmosphere :wink:

13 hours ago, Snark said:

Using Communotron-16 antennas as small, low-tech, lightweight landing legs.

Love it! Will try it for my next unmanned landing on a moon....

I've used extending solar panels to try and tip rockets back up the right way if toppled over (they are surprisingly strong!), and in a similar manner, I've used them to keep a small probe upright on Gilly (not designed as a lander, so no legs to speak of). Sometimes I use legs to re-orient rovers, but I feel that hardly counts as a hack - they're practically designed for it!

Jeb keeps talking about using Bill as a heat shield :-/

8 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

MK3 tail ramp works as a nosecone if you flip it around. Obviously only for big MK3 planes, but it is very heat resistent

Or as really big airbrakes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.