[WIP-PROTO] Dark Days - Eternal Black.

daniel l.

7 hours ago, daniel l. said:

What if... the entire solar system had an atmosphere. The planet's nailed in place, no rocket engines. You must travel from planet to planet, with wings and jet engines.

Eve-Online physics, basically. Space has drag and wings matter in vacuum, etc etc etc...

8 hours ago, kjack1111 said:

Can perseus make a comeback as a white dwarf?

What is this "perseus" you talk about?

4 hours ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Eve-Online physics, basically. Space has drag and wings matter in vacuum, etc etc etc...

What is this "perseus" you talk about?

This is the third Dark Days mod. The first (And second) One had kerbol swelling up to a red dwarf, And perseus was a orange dwarf that was conveniently passing by. Sadly, Both were cancelled.

I like the thinking behind this mod, but the universe wouldn't go dark. Even if every star would either die or go supernova, there would be plenty of White Dwarfs and Neutron stars to light up the cosmos (at a diminished luminosity of course).

If the Skybox would just be a bunch of very dim points of light and Kerbals would be seeking a still habitable place around a White Dwarf (unlikely) or a Red Dwarf (more likely) than that would be fairly accurate. Even if a White Dwarf was a old one, it would take Billions of years for it to be a "Black Dwarf". It takes that long to cool down.

But I like the idea behind the Mod. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, GDJ said:

I like the thinking behind this mod, but the universe wouldn't go dark. Even if every star would either die or go supernova, there would be plenty of White Dwarfs and Neutron stars to light up the cosmos (at a diminished luminosity of course).

If the Skybox would just be a bunch of very dim points of light and Kerbals would be seeking a still habitable place around a White Dwarf (unlikely) or a Red Dwarf (more likely) than that would be fairly accurate. Even if a White Dwarf was a old one, it would take Billions of years for it to be a "Black Dwarf". It takes that long to cool down.

But I like the idea behind the Mod. Keep up the good work!

Do some extent, I agree. However I have made the decision to put gameplay ahead of realism. I think player's would much better enjoy playing in pitch-black.

21 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Do some extent, I agree. However I have made the decision to put gameplay ahead of realism. I think player's would much better enjoy playing in pitch-black.

Well, you mention the universe ages faster, so stellar evolution would pass by faster, so a few faint nebula would be somewhat realistic for ksp purposes, just make them further away then you had in the screenshot and you'll be golden :)

Just now, Spaceception said:

Well, you mention the universe ages faster, so stellar evolution would pass by faster, so a few faint nebula would be somewhat realistic for ksp purposes, just make them further away then you had in the screenshot and you'll be golden :)

I should inform you... that it was not a skybox. :P 

15 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

I should inform you... that it was not a skybox. :P 

Wait, you can go to them? If that's the case, are you going to add scoops so you can collect resources for power?

Oooiih, wait, it's a planetary nebula that was once Kerbol, right? Comment above still stands.

Edited by Spaceception

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

Wait, you can go to them? If that's the case, are you going to add scoops so you can collect resources for power?

It's currently a billboard texture, but I intend for greater complexity in the future.

3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Oooiih, wait, it's a planetary nebula that was once Kerbol, right? Comment above still stands.

It's Perseus, Kerbol is long dead. :wink:

though, I'm disputing at to whether I should go ahead with giving Perseus a Nebula. Wouldn't the nebula have dissipated by this time?

9 hours ago, daniel l. said:

It's Perseus, Kerbol is long dead. :wink:

though, I'm disputing at to whether I should go ahead with giving Perseus a Nebula. Wouldn't the nebula have dissipated by this time?

That and it would be too faint to see, as their usually light up by their stellar remenats. And well... 

7 hours ago, torchard96 said:

That and it would be too faint to see, as their usually light up by their stellar remenats. And well... 

Ah, okay. I'll end that little experiment now and get back to the relevant work. :)

Despite Kerbol being long dead might there be a chance it survived into its Black dwarf stage? The sun will reach it in about a quadrillion years, long after the birth of the last star. Returning to a Kerbol system with Jool in a higher orbit and a possible rogue Eeloo far from it might be interesting. Also glad to see this mod back. Loved this type of thing since the Doctor who episode, "Utopia"

Edited by Spartwo

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

Despite Kerbol being long dead might there be a chance it survived into its Black dwarf stage? The sun will reach it in about a quadrillion years, long after the birth of the last star. Returning to a Kerbol system with Jool in a higher orbit and a possible rogue Eeloo far from it might be interesting. Also glad to see this mod back. Loved this type of thing since the Doctor who episode, "Utopia"

^This! :D

4 hours ago, feels froggy outside said:

From the pictures I have seen so far, the mod looks pretty good! Do you mind making an installation guide for DD:EB, though? That would be great.

Perhaps, though I doubt it would be hard to install.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

A nebula would have dissipated by now. just throwing that out.

Edit: i just saw that nebula. OH MY GOD!

Pretty isn't it? Unfortunately I've decided that a nebula has no place in DD-EB, but it may return in a future project.

10 minutes ago, kjack1111 said:

Awww ;u;

It does make sense, Though. Nebular gas would've spread out to a invisible period by the time DD:EB takes place. Hows 0.3 coming along?

Okay. I've made a few tweaks to the lighting in the Haven system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.