What to do With 6000 Ms of Delta V

Dear everyone reading this,

I recently made a SSTO that has over 6,000 meters a second of Delta V. I know this because of the Delta V read outs from  Kerbal Engineer Redux. What should I do with this, I know it is possible that to Duna, but I don't know about Dres and Laythe, is this possible with such a craft. Here are pictures,

And here is the craft file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3I_z4W2q1AGa0U4UUI4b0J0am8/view?usp=sharing

(BTW this is very loosely designed after Bradley Whistances craft in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghbCTpKJxtY, and I mean very, very loosely as shown by the lengths of the two craft (and it has a TWR to land somewhere [YEAH])

Sincerely, Mk3 Maniac

Edited by Mk3 Maniac
Grammar issues

Can it refuel?
Assuming you can't...

It all depends on how much LF/O Delta V you have left in LKO. And my guess is not that much based on your oxidizer weight plus that you have 6000m/s of LF delta V in orbit.
I don't think your going to make a easy landing on duna because you would want more wings. But your choice of undercarriage seems quite sturdy so it probably can take a hit.
If you have oxidizer left you should be able to take-off from Duna. If you don't then 3 Nervas are not going to do the trick I'm afraid. But I might be wrong. It does depend on the weight of the vessel during takeoff which I don't know.
Laythe is doable, assuming you have a healthy amount of LF/O delta V.
Every other place except Eve and Tylo.

Nice craft by the way:cool:

Edited by Razorforce7

Nice looking ship!  :)

2 hours ago, Mk3 Maniac said:

What should I do with this, I know it is possible that to Duna, but I don't know about Dres and Laythe, is this possible with such a craft.

A few potential points of concern:

• How sure are you of that 6000 m/s number?  I suspect that your actual dV is probably a lot lower.  Depending on how KER is calculating that, it may or may not be relevant to you. (Not a KER user myself).  For example, the Rapiers get a really high Isp when they're in airbreathing mode-- but that is only available when you're in atmospheric flight on Kerbin or Laythe, so if KER is assuming that, it's telling you a misleadingly high number.  The real question is, when you're in LKO, 1. what's your total ship mass, 2. how many units of liquid fuel do you have, and 3. how many units of oxidizer do you have.
  • Landing on Duna is going to be a problem.  It has a really thin atmosphere, and your craft doesn't have a lot of wing.  Your minimum stall speed on Duna is probably going to be a lot higher than you can easily land at, especially given that flat terrain on Duna is somewhat scarce.  Unless you can pack on a lot more wing, you'll likely need some sort of assistance to land, like parachutes or belly-mounted VTOL rockets or something.
  • Landing on vacuum worlds is probably also a problem, since it looks like your craft has all the engines mounted on the rear, which means it would need to land by coming down vertically, on its tail; and it doesn't look like it could stand up that way. You might be able to manage it on one of the ultra-low gravity worlds, like Gilly or Pol.
  • Landing on Eve could be tricky-- that's not a heat-shielded craft, and my experience has been that it's extremely challenging to aerobrake at Eve upon interplanetary arrival if you don't have a heat shield.  Capturing without exploding could be a problem.  Also, there's no way it could take off again, once landed-- that ship doesn't have the dV for Eve escape.
  • If you've got the dV to get there, Laythe is a reasonable possibility.  It has an atmosphere thick enough to fly in.  It has oxygen, which means you can run your Rapiers in airbreathing mode.  And it has a reasonably manageable escape velocity.

Also depends on how patient you are with transfer windows and gravity assists. (The latter can do a lot for you. The likes of Hazard-ish and Matt Lowne prove that all the time.)

I would like to second Snark's dV readout concern. I'm all too aware of KER's quirkiness when it comes to dV readouts, especially with mixed engine configs without staging parts away (and even then it can get weird.) KER is good for a ballpark dV guess, but I don't think I'd ever use it for precise dV requirements. (KER does its damnedest, but it won't account for weird/dumb/unorthodox stuff a player will do in KSP.)

Still, 6k dV in LKO will get you anywhere in the Kerbin system. Getting back from that destination? That's a different matter...

I disagree with everyone about the vacuum landings. You get style points for landing on your wheels, but that's it. With 6km/s of dV in LKO, you can go to Ike or Duna or Dres or Gilly or most of Jool's moons (even Tylo). I'm not sure whether Moho is doable.

Land straight down on your tail. Like a normal rocket landing, except with the wheels extended. Once you are down, hold down the W key, and your ship will start to fall onto its wheels. Then you can mash the S key to soften the impact when the wheels hit. When you want to take off, do it going up the side of a hill.

Moho, Eve and maybe Tylo are out of reach with that design. As for Duna, you'll need to treat it as an airless world: land vertically and, at the last minute and while almost hovering over the ground, tilt it so it falls on the wheels. OTOH, you have parachutes to help you break during an horizontal landing, but you'll probably stall before you can land horizontally.

The burn times with nukes are going to be rather long with such a mass though. That's why I end up preferring staged rockets.

Hey everyone guess what! It does have 6000 Ms of Delta V in LKO, but guess what, I landed on Laythe with the craft. I will up date on this journey when in LLO.

(P.S. if you want to try this craft out you may want to switch out the advanced nose cone type A with a NCS adapter and small nose cone, the Nose Cone Type A burned up during a intense laythe aero-capture. 

4 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Also depends on how patient you are with transfer windows and gravity assists. (The latter can do a lot for you. The likes of Hazard-ish and Matt Lowne prove that all the time.)

I would like to second Snark's dV readout concern. I'm all too aware of KER's quirkiness when it comes to dV readouts, especially with mixed engine configs without staging parts away (and even then it can get weird.) KER is good for a ballpark dV guess, but I don't think I'd ever use it for precise dV requirements. (KER does its damnedest, but it won't account for weird/dumb/unorthodox stuff a player will do in KSP.)

Still, 6k dV in LKO will get you anywhere in the Kerbin system. Getting back from that destination? That's a different matter...

Dear Stahn

I find out the true delta V readings by puting the Nervs on a stage seperate from the rapiers shpwing the true range of the craft in LKO.

Sincerely: Mk3 Maniac

7 minutes ago, Mk3 Maniac said:

I find out the true delta V readings by puting the Nervs on a stage seperate from the rapiers shpwing the true range of the craft in LKO.

I find that only works if you have dedicated tanks connected to each engine type with crossfeed disabled. Otherwise, KER gets a little dumb with atmo vs. vacuum dV for different engines that use common fuels. I usually approximate the state I expect the craft to be in by the time I'm in vacuum. I get a better idea of what my true usable dV numbers are. Then I either muck with staging (engine groups) or adjust thrust levels on certain engines to zero to make sure KER isn't taking them into account at all. (Though I tend to forget to reset the thrust levels later...)

KER works best with traditional, sequentially staged designs. :/ (It doesn't stop anyone from coming up with unorthodox vessels, though :sticktongue:) Still, it is nice when the KER numbers match up during testing :D

Dear Everyone

Will Jeb be stranded on Laythe, will we see him lay down on grass or eat his own foot, stay tuned! (Sorry got to go on vacation, can't play till next week)

(P.S. Stahn Aileron I did check the NERVES in space. Also another thing of you download the craft, you can do whatever you want with the cargo bay, from removing it to adding a isru unit, it also has a shielded docking port allowing docking in a vacuum or on the ground, I give everyone permission to use my craft, From Mun to Laythe go ahead if you are a beginner and take inspiration, if you are skeptical test the craft for yourself, but seriously give me a little credit if it ends up in a post or video)

Sincerely Mk3 Maniac.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys it lands on Kerbin fromlaythe with 200 meters a second to spare, yeah! Sadly it can't make it without the nose exploding (due to a weird landing due to poor design, the center of lift moves in front of the center of mass. Nothing I can't fix though!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.