[1.4.2] [Kopernicus] [Sigma Dimensions] Realistic Rescale 1.1.1

_Augustus_

Pics for clicks

Realistic Rescale re-scales all planets and orbits to make both achieving orbit and traveling between planets much more difficult than it is in stock. Large manned interplanetary travel is really hard with conventional propulsion systems. Many bodies are approximately 3.2x the size and 6.4x the distance as they are in the stock game. 

RR uses Sigma Dimensions to change the solar system. Kronometer is recommended if you want accurate times, and Outer Planets Mod is highly recommended to give some more challenge for later missions. RR is compatible with Principia if you want axial tilt and n-body physics.

I based RR off Kerbin 365 with similar config parameters. Kerbin now has a 24-hour day and 365-day year. Duna comes to opposition with Kerbin once every 2 years or so. 

Changes:

• Most planets rescaled to around 6.4x the semi-major axis of their stock orbits.
  • Most planets/moons rescaled to around 3.2x the size of their stock counterparts.
  • If Principia is installed, most planets now have axial tilts similar to their real-life counterparts.
  • Gravity of all planets set to near real-world values. Jool capture takes similar delta-v to stock, for example - but you can't get help from Tylo.
  • Eve now slightly smaller than Kerbin with lower gravity and no moons, and if Principia is installed, rotates retrograde.
  • Mun now much further away and with an inclination of around 5 degrees to the ecliptic, making eclipses rare. It's still reachable with a large rocket.
  • Minmus and Gilly have been rescaled to be around 0.32 times the size of Phobos and Deimos respectively, and now orbit Duna.
  • Ike is now a Pallas analog.
  • Laythe, Vall, and Tylo now rescaled to have similar size/orbits/gravity to Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto respectively.
  • Retrograde Bop if Principia is installed.
  • Eeloo and Slate rescaled to be closer to the scaled-down sizes of Enceladus and Rhea, respectively. Gravity changed to be much lower both for realism and Principia compatibility.
  • Tekto now smaller and less steeply inclined above the plane of the Sarnus system.
  • Moons of Urlum all made much smaller. Tal moved to roughly resonant orbit with Wal because moonlets are dumb and don't work with Principia.

Delta-V requirements:

• Low Kerbin orbit: 6000 m/s
  • Mun orbit: 8000 m/s
  • Duna/Eve: 9000 m/s

Download

Requires Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions. No config tweaking needed, just go install those and perhaps OPM and you're good to go. If you want axial tilt, install Principia and change principia.txt to principia.cfg.

To install, just insert the "Augustus" folder into GameData.

License - GPL v3

Edited by _Augustus_

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this!

I ended up "rolling my own" last weekend with 4X and 6.4X instead of 3.2X. How is the Mun in this? Are staged landers even worth considering? 

I was thinking of doing Sigma Dimensions tests on the Mun until I just get to the inflection point where staged landers start making sense. They certainly do at 6.4x in my experience, and I can't remember if that is true at 3.2x.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Somehow I missed this!

I ended up "rolling my own" last weekend with 4X and 6.4X instead of 3.2X. How is the Mun in this? Are staged landers even worth considering? 

I was thinking of doing Sigma Dimensions tests on the Mun until I just get to the inflection point where staged landers start making sense. They certainly do at 6.4x in my experience, and I can't remember if that is true at 3.2x.

The Mun is at just over 10x the distance. Staged landers are usually required (well, if you want to get back to Munar orbit, anyway - the photo is of my replica of the Blue Moon cargo lander).

Edited by _Augustus_

1 minute ago, tater said:

When I first tried a 3.2X rescale I realized that KSP should really just be set to that as the new normal. Everything still works with stock parts, but it "feels" so much better.

Agreed. That's why I made this mod! 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Nightside said:

Just tried this out in 1.3 and it is seems to be working. I've only been to Low Kerbin Orbit so far so I can't say what the rest of the system looks like. (I'm not using Principia or OPM since they don't seem to be updated yet). Thanks @_Augustus_!

You're welcome.

If Kopernicus works and this mod works, OPM works.

Edited by _Augustus_

So I'm confused, Is this like real solarsytem where it takes like 9000 dv to get to orbit and overhauled parts? Or more like a rebalnce in the size/distance ratios? I've always wanted to try a realistic (but still fictional, aka. fun.) solarsystem in stockish size. The base game to me seems I don't know, off somehow. I see the comment the about using stock parts

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 9:33 AM, snkiz said:

So I'm confused, Is this like real solarsytem where it takes like 9000 dv to get to orbit and overhauled parts? Or more like a rebalnce in the size/distance ratios? I've always wanted to try a realistic (but still fictional, aka. fun.) solarsystem in stockish size. The base game to me seems I don't know, off somehow. I see the comment the about using stock parts

You can use stock parts, but they're not as overpowered. Kerbal X will barely reach low Kerbin orbit.

It takes about 6 km/s of dv to get to orbit.

I find this rescale to be an almost perfect balance of fun/challenging, but the terrain seems to be a bit glitchy from time to time. Is this fixable? Will Scatterer or SVE help, or they don't work with this mod?

1 hour ago, Krux said:

I find this rescale to be an almost perfect balance of fun/challenging, but the terrain seems to be a bit glitchy from time to time. Is this fixable? Will Scatterer or SVE help, or they don't work with this mod?

You'll have to give a more detailed description than "seems to be a bit glitchy". There are lots of potential things that affect terrain. Could you post a picture of it being weird?

On 7/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, Krux said:

Thanks! You mean the occasional floating tiles? I have no idea what's causing that, but it seems to be aesthetic only.

Scatterer and all other visual enhancements work fine.

Edited by _Augustus_

1 hour ago, _Augustus_ said:

Thanks! You mean the occasional floating tiles? I have no idea what's causing that, but it seems to be aesthetic only.

Scatterer and all other visual enhancements work fine.

The tiles are caused by using Scatterer in 1.3. Disable it's ocean shaders to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

What is the culprit? Is this Kopernicus, scatterer or Realistic Rescale?
NP97gEl.png

wK019Jc.png

What version of KSP are you using? I am not having that issue.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:36 AM, Gordon Dry said:

When I start a new career with this pack (no scatterer!) the log is spammed as soon as in SPC:

targetBody could not be computed, using homeworld

A very informative message that clearly says what is the culprit </sarcasm off>

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0l9kn6cmy8dv4ly/2017-07-05-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

I have no idea. Not causing me any problems.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:49 AM, nickicool said:

If I install this mod, can I use stock/stocklike engines

You can use stock/stockalike engines but you will need bigger rockets than usual.

Great job, these settings look like the right balance of fun/difficulty :)

One question though - is there a Delta-V map for this system? Or am I going to have to eye-ball my way to glory through space? :)

Thanks,

Michal.don

So I have the Augustus folder, Kopernicus, and Sigma in my Gamedata folder, but when I load the game Kerbin still shows 70km for the atmosphere height in the tracking station, 18km is still the line between upper/lower, and above 70k shows 'in space low'.  Am I missing something? 

3 hours ago, vollinger said:

nope, atmosphere stays the same

if you have only one moon and kerbin radius in the tracking station reads 1920 km, you're good

Thanks!  I was expecting the atmosphere to be rescaled too.  Interesting. 

11 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

So I have the Augustus folder, Kopernicus, and Sigma in my Gamedata folder, but when I load the game Kerbin still shows 70km for the atmosphere height in the tracking station, 18km is still the line between upper/lower, and above 70k shows 'in space low'.  Am I missing something? 

I didn't rescale the atmosphere. Scaling it down to be more accurately sized would lead to unfair performance for jets and stuff, while scaling it up would make it ridiculously oversized compared to Kerbin.

1.1.1 is out. I reorganized some files, moved Ike, and added Kronometer compatibility to fix some slight time accuracy issues.

Edited by _Augustus_

Collecting science in orbit of Gilly is causing an unrecoverable freeze. Also at Gilly, the resource survey scanner seems convinced I'm in the wrong orbit no matter what. Does KSP not like such small bodies? Other than that I'm loving this mod, you really nailed the sweet spot I think :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.